Confirmed with Link: Crawford as an Assistant/Associate Coach

Cat Herder

Formerly BigSensFan
Sep 21, 2006
Belle River,On
People are quoting McKenzie on twitter (so he must be doing a radio interview somewhere) that Ottawa will probably sign Marc Crawford to be an Assistant/Associate coach sometime today

and Dreger too

Last edited by a moderator:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Dredger just tweeted the same.

I don't mind this at all. And before people think that this might be management imposing the the choice, Boucher and Crawford were coaching in Switzerland for a few years, it isn't inconceivable that they became friends and Boucher wants him on-board considering he interviewed for the same job.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
People are quoting McKenzie on twitter (so he must be doing a radio interview somewhere) that Ottawa will probably sign Marc Crawford to be an Assistant/Associate coach sometime today

and Dreger too

Wonder if this is a Dorion move or a Boucher request.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Wonder if this is a Dorion move or a Boucher request.

Probably a bit of both:

Boucher having coached against Crawford in Switzerland and probably having a decent relationship since both had coached in the NHL.

Dorion suggesting Crawford as an assistant since he had interviewed for the same job Boucher got.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
From what I'm hearing, this is Boucher's choice. Having Crawford on board was part of his 5 hour presentation to the Sens.

Interesting strategy if true: Take out your competition by having him become part of your team. Evil genius at work for sure!

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I dont mind this at all tbh ,we get two guys that want to come back into the nhl .We know they will be motivated,they fail here and it might be curtains :nod:

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
As long as he gets along with Boucher I like it.
I like Boucher so far. A lot.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Somebody suggested that they heard that Boucher's plan included hiring Crawford as associate;

I wonder if they were in on it together all along. I seem to recall a tweet about the sens being impressed with some of Crawfords ideas, and his interview.

Honestly though, it seems as though there's somebody in the media out for each candidate saying the Sens were really impressed by his (Yeo, Boucher, Crawford) ideas/presentation. Hard to know what's true, and what's fabricated.

Edit: Jeez I'm dumb, somebody is 5 posts up, Chocolateleclaire...

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I dont mind this at all tbh ,we get two guys that want to come back into the nhl .We know they will be motivated,they fail here and it might be curtains :nod:

Good point ... it will come down to how these players relate to this coach, not just at the beginning but on going. This team responded well to PM in the beginning & that failed, then they responded well to DC & then that failed. Hopefully, he improves the areas that were severe weaknesses with this team, if he can improve the PK & the defensive game this team should be just good enough for this group to at least make the playoffs. The hard part will be to get this group to take the next step something PM & DC couldn't get this group to do.

Personally, I think there will need to be some personnel changes too & maybe a couple of changes before next season but Dorion should already know where he wants to start with that although he might wait & see what Boucher can get from this group before he starts to move players. Some personnel decisions will need to be made soon enough but I imagine the draft will be first & foremost on their minds going forward & then July 1 free agency. Should be interesting to see if Dorion decides on any free agents & if Boucher & maybe Crawford have any insight or influence on any player decisions. Anyway, interesting times for the franchise.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Good point ... it will come down to how these players relate to this coach, not just at the beginning but on going. This team responded well to PM in the beginning & that failed, then they responded well to DC & then that failed. Hopefully, he improves the areas that were severe weaknesses with this team, if he can improve the PK & the defensive game this team should be just good enough for this group to at least make the playoffs. The hard part will be to get this group to take the next step something PM & DC couldn't get this group to do.

Personally, I think there will need to be some personnel changes too & maybe a couple of changes before next season but Dorion should already know where he wants to start with that although he might wait & see what Boucher can get from this group before he starts to move players. Some personnel decisions will need to be made soon enough but I imagine the draft will be first & foremost on their minds going forward & then July 1 free agency. Should be interesting to see if Dorion decides on any free agents & if Boucher & maybe Crawford have any insight or influence on any player decisions. Anyway, interesting times for the franchise.
This right here is good ,Dorion can just focus on what he excels in, which is talent evaluation.I dont see Dorion as being comfortable,with dealing with the media.It always seems his mind is elsewhere ,which for me is fine :handclap:

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
As I said yesterday, just don't let him pick our shooters for the shootout.

58XvD45.gif

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I don't know how I feel about this.

I really, really dislike Crawford. He was near the bottom of my list as far as head coach choices were concerned... I think you are inviting a massive personality clash by bringing Crawford on as an assistant. I can't see how a personality like Crow can settle into being an assistant anywhere.

Like with Cameron, if he gets the job I'll give him an honest chance to win me over, because I can't root against the Sens... but I will be very, very hesitant in doing so.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
If it's Boucher's choice, then I'm fine with it. The head coach should be the one choosing his assistants.
Agreed ,this has been a issue since Greg "TEFLON"Carvel was here during the Martin days ,Ottawa always wanting a mole in the locker room .Cant go over too well with most self respecting HC,s

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

I really, really dislike Crawford. He was near the bottom of my list as far as head coach choices were concerned... I think you are inviting a massive personality clash by bringing Crawford on as an assistant. I can't see how a personality like Crow can settle into being an assistant anywhere.

Like with Cameron, if he gets the job I'll give him an honest chance to win me over, because I can't root against the Sens... but I will be very, very hesitant in doing so.

Being out of the NHL for so long may have humbled him a smidge.

I don't mind it. The Sens are going to have an experienced coaching staff for once.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If it's Boucher's choice, then I'm fine with it. The head coach should be the one choosing his assistants.

For what it's worth, Daryl Sutter didn't choose John Stevens, and that coaching tandem is considered one of the best in the league.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Being out of the NHL for so long may have humbled him a smidge.

I don't mind it. The Sens are going to have an experienced coaching staff for once.

I would think so. For both gentlemen.

Seeing the way things are changing in the NHL and the big pay bump across the board for coaches (and expansion on the horizon)...these guys know this is the best time to get back in the game and stick for a while.

For all we know, coaching in different leagues in Europe might be a plus. Maybe seeing the game in a completely different way for a few years mirth just give both of them some ideas that haven't been seen in the NHL, or at least a different spin on current systems.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI

As long as Boucher is okay with it and it's his call (it seems like this is the case) then I am okay with it. Now we just need Gerber as a goaltending coach, let's brain drain the Swiss workforce!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00