Confirmed with Link: Crawford as an Assistant/Associate Coach

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
French speaking staff then. The point of that post was that it appears Boucher is set to do the same thing with the Sens as he was in Tampa. Not that languages are a big deal, but I noticed it right away. Boucher gets so high on himself and refuses to adjust and he gave me the impression of a "I'm gonna do it MY WAY or no way" and I fear for the Sens that he has not changed, right down to surrounding himself with a French speaking coach.

Just an anecdote. I wish you guys all the best

Yeah somehow I just can't find anything wrong with hiring someone who speaks French, especially in a city on the provincial border, in a country that is bilingual, but maybe I'm just not a huge bigot

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Um, I don't think you know what "francophone" means...

66423097.jpg

:dunno:

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
French speaking staff then. The point of that post was that it appears Boucher is set to do the same thing with the Sens as he was in Tampa. Not that languages are a big deal, but I noticed it right away. Boucher gets so high on himself and refuses to adjust and he gave me the impression of a "I'm gonna do it MY WAY or no way" and I fear for the Sens that he has not changed, right down to surrounding himself with a French speaking coach.

Marc Crawford can speak French but he's English. He speaks English all the time, given the opportunity to communicate with the people around him, he will speak English. HE IS AN ANGLOPHONE. His French is actually pretty average.

He was NOT hired because he can speak French. He was hired because him and Boucher knew each other from their time in Switzerland. It literally is NOTHING like the situation in Tampa.

I've read what you've written on the main board thread and other TB fans have quickly dispelled all that you've written about Boucher. We get it, you don't like him but we are willing to give him a chance here and not use his time in Tampa as a barometer of measure.

Last edited by a moderator:

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

So, essentially most Canadians. If Guy hires just about any Canadian, they're going to speak some degree of French like Crawford. Most coaches are Canadian. Guy is doomed because he's all but guarentee to make these same 'mistakes'.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
I wanted Crawford to be the HC... So this is pretty awesome... Get his expirence to help Boucher

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016

A coaching staff doesn't need to be the United Nations (this is without taking into account that Crawford is actually Anglo but is able to speak French).

Senateurs

Let's win it all
Feb 28, 2007

His mistake in Tampa was not to bring a french speaking staff. It was to bring a very green and inexperienced staff. Any CHL coach or 1 year AHL coach that brings his buddies to the big show is making the same mistake, regardless of their first language.

This is why I love this hiring of Crow as the associate coach. Also, I hear a lot of people and media saying that he could work against him to have a experienced coach.

Jacques Martin had Roger Neilson as an ass. Coach for a few years.
Jacques Martin is himself a special consultant to
Larry Robinson won a cup as a coach and went back to be an assistant in NJ and SJ

exv91

Oct 13, 2011
Boucher and Crawford are both good additions IMO. Each brings his own experience that benefits both the younger and older sens players.

Iggy77

Oct 5, 2009
Ottawa, ON
His mistake in Tampa was not to bring a french speaking staff. It was to bring a very green and inexperienced staff. Any CHL coach or 1 year AHL coach that brings his buddies to the big show is making the same mistake, regardless of their first language.

Boucher had Wayne Fleming in TB

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Nevermind. The point was not to be racist or anything else like that. Trust me, I understand how what I said would come off that way so I knew hitting enter would ruffle a few un-needed feathers so I'll just drop the whole thing. I don't believe his staff needs to be the United Nations, I just hope that it's not deja-vu. Even when we were winning I could see red flags that he was NOT going to change anything he did whether he won or lost. It eventually cost him his job. The fact his Swiss team won as soon as he left AFTER his Lightning outright gave up on him in 2 1/2 seasons worries the hell out of me that he hasn't learned a thing. I point out the French speaking staff because that was the first thing he did when he got here. I'm just scared step 2 is gonna be "da system!" and he will repeat his failures. I would hope he has learned by now.

I like the Sens a lot and being a Tampa fan that means I have to be a fan on a budget with both the Rays so I know what it's like. You guys deserve more than you're going to get and I guess my way of a "warning" just came off wrong. I truly and genuinely sympathize with you guys on that and I don't want to see him make the same mistakes in Ottawa as he did here. And plus I truly and genuinely like you guys too. So I'll apologize and take my leave and just say this:

Even though my fellow Lightning fans will dispute what I say about Boucher, I just hope I am wrong here. That I say never comes true for you guys and that he will become the greatest coach in the history of the Senators. He could hire a green dinosaur as his goalie coach for all I care so long as he doesn't burn out your team the way he did mine.

Good luck next season guys. I'll be keeping an eye out.

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
So apparently Crawford is quite supportive of analytics:

"I have always been at the forefront of analytics. We utilize statistics for zone time, zone exits, zone entries, scoring chances, momentum swings and of course, shots,hits, giveaways, takeaways, and goals. I have long been a proponent of using the info to develop your practices, to utilize your match ups and to aid in the development of your line combos and D pairings. I am constantly looking for the edge and I do believe that interpreting the data is of more importance than collecting it. Having said that, getting the data collected correctly is of the utmost importance and it proves challenging in a none [sic] conventional hockey market." - Marc Crawford. Today's Slapshot.

Man, how does Borowiecki feel about this? Are we going to get to see him laugh in Crawford's face or even punch him? :sarcasm: :laugh:

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

057.png

Marc Crawford is so clearly an anglophone that this makes no sense. Like at all.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
From what I'm hearing, this is Boucher's choice. Having Crawford on board was part of his 5 hour presentation to the Sens.

Good strategy! If you hire me, I'll get Mike Yeo and Bruce Boudrea as assistants; you get me and the other guys you're interviewing!

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Boucher and Crawford are both good additions IMO. Each brings his own experience that benefits both the younger and older sens players.

I agree. Didn't want him as a head coach, perfectly happy to have him as an assistant.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
dunno if it was posted earlier but apparently crawford has embraced analytics, so i guess thats good news

seems like Crawford and Boucher are both really into European skill development for their players - more individual time teaching and practicing skills instead of learning systems. I'm all about that right now. It just felt like Ottawa was falling back a bit behind Toronto when we traded with them and our prospect said the Leafs were way more into 1 on 1 hockey and skill development. Made me take notice.

Crawford is a great hire. how happy he is to be back, how supportive of Boucher and Dorion, how keen he is to put his name on the Cup again, he is going to have a huge impact.

I've always known Crawford is a good coach, I hated the entire Bertuzzi thing, but especially how Burke handled it I thought was downright disgusting to the Dominic Moore - but listening to Craw speak on the Team1200 - he has a lot to prove, he has seen a ton of hockey and straight up he has only 1 agenda - he isn't into the record book, he isn't into being a top HC - all he wants is more Cups.

I'm thinking Dorion, Boucher and Crawford are out to shock the entire hockey world. These guys are thinking multiple Cups in the next 3-5 years. I know I might be getting carried away, but these 3 are all about winning right now, and that is what the team needs more then anything, answers on how to win, and Craw has a ton of answers, he's won a lot.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

when you see how hard Ryan, Zibby, Hoffman, Chiasson, Weircoche play isn't that exactly what we need? I don't want another coach who is there to feel disgusted about Ryan floating, we've done that for 3 years, I want a coach that makes Ryan stop floating.

The language means absolutely nothing seeing as our best player speaks Swedish, Our best Center last year spoke French and we might be about to draft a top Finn or Russian Dman (not to mention with an entirely English Staff running the team for the last 9 years we have done absolutely JACK SQUAT and everyone's top choice for coach were Julien, Martin, Vigenault)

Anyways, find me a top Head Coach that isn't head strong

Othello*

From Camoron & Jason Smith to Boucher & Crawford.

Good stuff from Dorion so far.

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK
seems like Crawford and Boucher are both really into European skill development for their players - more individual time teaching and practicing skills instead of learning systems. I'm all about that right now. It just felt like Ottawa was falling back a bit behind Toronto when we traded with them and our prospect said the Leafs were way more into 1 on 1 hockey and skill development. Made me take notice.

Crawford is a great hire. how happy he is to be back, how supportive of Boucher and Dorion, how keen he is to put his name on the Cup again, he is going to have a huge impact.

I've always known Crawford is a good coach, I hated the entire Bertuzzi thing, but especially how Burke handled it I thought was downright disgusting to the Dominic Moore - but listening to Craw speak on the Team1200 - he has a lot to prove, he has seen a ton of hockey and straight up he has only 1 agenda - he isn't into the record book, he isn't into being a top HC - all he wants is more Cups.

I'm thinking Dorion, Boucher and Crawford are out to shock the entire hockey world. These guys are thinking multiple Cups in the next 3-5 years. I know I might be getting carried away, but these 3 are all about winning right now, and that is what the team needs more then anything, answers on how to win, and Craw has a ton of answers, he's won a lot.

In case someone who reads this isn't sure what Tuna is referencing.
This was a quote from Lindberg about his first practice with the marlies

"A lot of skill work, which is new to me, we didn't really do that stuff a lot in Ottawa," said Lindberg

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
From Camoron & Jason Smith to Boucher & Crawford.

Good stuff from Dorion so far.

LOL. Perfect, you could end the thread right here.

If Crawford was coming in out of the blue, say as the owner's hand picked choice, I would be concerned. But with Boucher and Crawford having a previous connection and, it looks like they discussed this possibility, it looks really good.

For Crawford it is a huge step back into the NHL. The longer you are out the harder it will be to get back in so having success in Ottawa will be key to him getting a shot at a head coaching job somewhere down the line if he wants it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad