Confirmed with Link: Crawford as an Assistant/Associate Coach

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
seems like Crawford and Boucher are both really into European skill development for their players - more individual time teaching and practicing skills instead of learning systems. I'm all about that right now. It just felt like Ottawa was falling back a bit behind Toronto when we traded with them and our prospect said the Leafs were way more into 1 on 1 hockey and skill development. Made me take notice.

Crawford is a great hire. how happy he is to be back, how supportive of Boucher and Dorion, how keen he is to put his name on the Cup again, he is going to have a huge impact.

I've always known Crawford is a good coach, I hated the entire Bertuzzi thing, but especially how Burke handled it I thought was downright disgusting to the Dominic Moore - but listening to Craw speak on the Team1200 - he has a lot to prove, he has seen a ton of hockey and straight up he has only 1 agenda - he isn't into the record book, he isn't into being a top HC - all he wants is more Cups.

I'm thinking Dorion, Boucher and Crawford are out to shock the entire hockey world. These guys are thinking multiple Cups in the next 3-5 years. I know I might be getting carried away, but these 3 are all about winning right now, and that is what the team needs more then anything, answers on how to win, and Craw has a ton of answers, he's won a lot.

You're getting carried away. You thought right.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
You're getting carried away. You thought right.

could you imagine Melnyck's face if Boucher does win Two Cups in 3 years and asks for the Babcock contract!!!! How fast would we see Dave Cameron coaching this team again?

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
could you imagine Melnyck's face if Boucher does win Two Cups in 3 years and asks for the Babcock contract!!!! How fast would we see Dave Cameron coaching this team again?

Can you imagine the revenues of this team if we win the cup two times in the next 3 years?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
This site would explode ,into oblivion.More specific the leaf and hab boards ,would revert back in to particles of matter:laugh:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Melnyk apparently did the math the6thsens did the math using melnyk's numbers and claims 8 home games in the playoffs would bring 32 mil in gate revenues, so a SC could bring anywhere from 32 to around 50 mil in gates. Two cups means 64-100 million in gates plus ancillary revenues.

I think for two cups, he'd gladly give Boucher that contract in the hopes of many more playoff runs to come.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

Given the amount of revenue that would be coming in, Melnyk would give it to him with a smile on his face.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I think its safe to say that Ottawa now has the most intense looking coaching staff in the league.

topelement2.jpg

crawford2-01.jpg

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
So much intensity. I hope the other assistant coach is a bit more laid back.

johan f

Jun 23, 2008
Sweden
I think Karlsson is closer the rastaman in being laidback than he is close being intense as the new coaches obvious are. It will be interesting to see (if it will be shown)
how new staff reacts and handles Erik's approach to life and the game. He is very similar to Kent Nilsson in the laid back department.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
I think Karlsson is closer the rastaman in being laidback than he is close being intense as the new coaches obvious are. It will be interesting to see (if it will be shown)
how new staff reacts and handles Erik's approach to life and the game. He is very similar to Kent Nilsson in the laid back department.

At the same time I still remember moments like him smashing his stick in frustration at the end of the Rangers series in 2012. The guy is definitely a winner, we just need to surround him with a good enough cast of players and coaches. I am cautiously optimistic that we are finally getting a proper coaching staff (not a fan of him as a head coach but Marc Crawford as an assistant is just ridiculous depth) and we have a pretty promising core group of players. The spine is set for the team, we just need to surround it with depth.

Puckerz

Jun 7, 2013
In other words, Crawford knew that to take a lesser job, he’d have to be willing to swallow his pride and deprioritize his ego.

So on Monday, he signed on the dotted line to be Boucher’s new associate coach in Ottawa, getting himself back to North America after years coaching in Switzerland -- including this year in Zurich where he guided the presumptive No. 1 pick in this summer's NHL draft, Auston Matthews.

“Ottawa is the right thing for me. I’m going to enjoy where I’m at, enjoy this new experience,†said Crawford in an interview with Sportsnet. “This is a good, good job. It’s a good organization, a small organization. It’s a good opportunity, I like Guy a lot, and we’ll work well together.â€

As soon as Boudreau’s hiring was announced Saturday night, Crawford got a call from Dorion saying he was hiring Boucher as the head coach, and that Boucher wanted to talk to him. It was a conversation they’d had many times in Switzerland.

“He was always saying, ‘If I get a job, would you come?’†said Crawford. “And I always said, ‘Yes I would.’†Later, Dorion and Sens executive Randy Lee called, and then on Sunday, Crawford spoke for 45 minutes with Ottawa owner Eugene Melnyk.

“That’s where I got the sense this could be really interesting,†said Crawford. “(Melnyk) is a really interesting guy.â€

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/marc-crawford-checks-ego-joining-senators-assistant/

Shanny

Let's Win It All
Jun 12, 2009
Bytown
Who's that?

Assistant coach to Marc Crawford the past 4 years, and was Guy Boucher's assistant the past 2 Spengler Cups as well...winning the most recent one this past January, was also an assistant coach for the Flames for a decade.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Whoever he picks will be better than Jason Smith.

I don't like smith. But in fairness to him. He had an awful d corps to work with. Cowen boro aging Phillips some would say wiercioch. That's 3 of Id say 10 worst d men in the NHL

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
I don't know how I feel about this.

I really, really dislike Crawford. He was near the bottom of my list as far as head coach choices were concerned... I think you are inviting a massive personality clash by bringing Crawford on as an assistant. I can't see how a personality like Crow can settle into being an assistant anywhere.

Like with Cameron, if he gets the job I'll give him an honest chance to win me over, because I can't root against the Sens... but I will be very, very hesitant in doing so.

Big personality as an assistant coach..

... Take a bloody look around the NHL at the assistant coaches. That's exactly where all the big personalities are for one. For two, Marc Crawford has a big personality ?

If anything, the Sens just got a decent starting coach and a back-up that can jump right in if Boucher fails.

Crawford coaches a really exciting type of north/south, pinching defense, type game. During his tenure with the Canucks, even in off years, they were more exciting than their recent successful years.

Happy to see him back in the NHL. Should do wonders with the lessened hits in the game now.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00