Confirmed with Link: Crawford as an Assistant/Associate Coach

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I have no dog in the fight but I find it strangely ironic that the first thing Boucher did when he came to the Lightning was hired an almost entirely Francophone staff. Looks like he's set on doing it again.

Crow is not a Frenchman. The ability to speak French, does not make one French.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/marc-bergevin-keep-coaching-options-open/

"Crawford learned French to take on the head coaching job of the Quebec Nordiques in 1994. He had rededicated himself to the process in 2012 before interviewing with the Canadiens, going as far as to hire a tutor in the lead up to discussions with Bergevin."

That's surprising. IDK he sounds really English Canadian to me, he's from Belleville - I always assumed he never knew how to speak French.

Shanny

Let's Win It All
Jun 12, 2009
Bytown
Who do you think will be the other assistant coach?

Very good chance of it being Rob Cookson. He's been Marc Crawfords assistant in Zurich the past 4 years, and won a Spengler Cup this past year for Team Canada as an assistant to Guy Boucher.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Very good chance of it being Rob Cookson. He's been Marc Crawfords assistant in Zurich the past 4 years, and won a Spengler Cup this past year for Team Canada as an assistant to Guy Boucher.

Martin Raymond is another possibility. Worked with Boucher in Tampa and in Hamilton, and I believe they've known each other for a very long time.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Marc Crawford speaks French? I'm almost certain he speaks little to no French.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/marc-bergevin-keep-coaching-options-open/

"Crawford learned French to take on the head coaching job of the Quebec Nordiques in 1994. He had rededicated himself to the process in 2012 before interviewing with the Canadiens, going as far as to hire a tutor in the lead up to discussions with Bergevin."

^this , he learned to speak french from his days as a Nordiques coach and his wife is francophone. Give Crawford a year or two and he will be fluent in french . Back in 1994 he went from one sentence in french and the rest in english to joking arround in french with the journalits in his post game conferences.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Could be to sync the playing styles of both clubs, which is most useful :handclap:

Good, Babcock runs a lot of the practices for the Marlies and we'll finally be running the same system in both the nhl and ahl.

I definitely like that. Have both clubs working the same basic system/philosophy so the kids can transition seamlessly to the big club when needed.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think having a assistant coach with significant NHL experience like Crawford is a good thing.

Me too, it is a good thing to have experienced coaches. One spot left to fill. Pierre McGuire anyone? :)

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
^this , he learned to speak french from his days as a Nordiques coach and his wife is francophone. Give Crawford a year or two and he will be fluent in french . Back in 1994 he went from one sentence in french and the rest in english to joking arround in french with the journalits in his post game conferences.

In case anyone wants to hear how good Crawford's french is, here's an interview he did in 2012 a few months ago about 2012 when he was gunning for the HC job in Montreal.

Last edited:

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
In case anyone wants to hear how good Crawford's french is, here's an interview he did in 2012 when he was gunning for the HC job in Montreal.

That's actually an interview from the 30th of March 2016 he did at L'Antichambre, so a little more than a month ago, where he talks about the interview he did with Montreal in 2012.

His French is alright, can hold a conversation, but I have a feeling he won't use it much.

Interesting, he also says that he would take a HC or even assistant job in the AHL if he needed to in order to get back over here.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
That's actually an interview from the 30th of March 2016 he did at L'Antichambre, so a little more than a month ago, where he talks about the interview he did with Montreal in 2012.

Right, I should have been paying better attention. My bad for skimming, haha.

Thanks, post edited.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
French speaking staff then. The point of that post was that it appears Boucher is set to do the same thing with the Sens as he was in Tampa. Not that languages are a big deal, but I noticed it right away. Boucher gets so high on himself and refuses to adjust and he gave me the impression of a "I'm gonna do it MY WAY or no way" and I fear for the Sens that he has not changed, right down to surrounding himself with a French speaking coach.

Just an anecdote. I wish you guys all the best

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
French speaking staff then. The point of that post was that it appears Boucher is set to do the same thing with the Sens as he was in Tampa. Not that languages are a big deal, but I noticed it right away. Boucher gets so high on himself and refuses to adjust and he gave me the impression of a "I'm gonna do it MY WAY or no way" and I fear for the Sens that he has not changed, right down to surrounding himself with a French speaking coach.

Just an anecdote. I wish you guys all the best

Looks more to me like he's picked staff that he's more familiar with, from the same leagues he's been in. The fact that he coached in Drummondville in the Q means he was familiar with coaches in a French province, coaching a primarily French league. Now, he's chosen a guy that was most recently coaching in the same league as him once again, except this time its Switzerland.

Basically, I think the fact that Crawford speaks a little French is a coincidence tbh.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
As long as he isnt hiring Melnycks friends to coach the team I don't care what language they speak.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
And first thing everyone thought when the Bruins won the Cup was - this would be so much better if our coach, #1 Center, #1 Goalie, #1 D - Captain both Assiant Captains were from Saskatchewan or Alberta.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad