Player Discussion Corey Perry

Status
Not open for further replies.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
So Perry got his 3rd overtime goal of the playoffs :amazed:

To be fair, 2 of them were fluky, and if we could just get the dangerous sniper in him back, our forward core would be that much deeper; a big need of ours with Eaves out for who knows how much longer.

He's been better in the playoffs than he was in the regular season but we need him to really step up.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
To be fair, 2 of them were fluky, and if we could just get the dangerous sniper in him back, our forward core would be that much deeper; a big need of ours with Eaves out for who knows how much longer.

He's been better in the playoffs than he was in the regular season but we need him to really step up.

Yea they had been fluky but it still amazing to have 3 in the playoffs especially consider it is more then he had in all other playoffs combined.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
Yea they had been fluky but it still amazing to have 3 in the playoffs especially consider it is more then he had in all other playoffs combined.

Oh, for sure, but what I'm talking about is making matchups hellish for the Predators to deal with. The points are nice and all but has Perry really been dangerous? He's actually providing solid secondary scoring right now but having him back to being a dangerous offensive presence would really add another dimension to this team.

We definitely need Eaves back at the very least.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Guy sets NHL record for OT goals in a playoff season. Ducks fans: we need him to step up.

In all fairness, he does need to step up some more in the regulation time, he is our highest paid player but only 4th best scorer. His OT streak is pretty remarkable but he has scored only 4 goals in 15 games that is barely 20 goal pace in 82 games.

Related to the topic: Silfverberg and Rakell combined have scored 15 goals and are not covering as much cap space COMBINED as the saint himself. They are not yet in their ''cash out'' contracts though, but that gives some perspective

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
He has played much better in the playoffs, but Perry looks like he is unsure of what to do with the puck when entering the zone. I dont know if it is the type of offense that RC employs, or if his skills have diminished. Once in the cycle, I think he looks pretty good, but he just does not look as dangerous to score anymore.

His assists have been quite good though, but he just loses the puck too often for what is being expected....and paid for.

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012
Guy sets NHL record for OT goals in a playoff season. Ducks fans: we need him to step up.

He does need to step up - period.

Does scoring a few VERY lucky particle physics goals really excuse him for simply being a bad player relative to his salary? NO!!!!!

This is what we need to look for in Perry. Is he creating scoring chances? Because this season, he is hardly doing that at all. Isolated lucky bounces, regardless of if they are in OT or not, doesn't give Perry a pass here.

It all comes down to speed for Perry. And for whatever reason the past few games he has had an extra stride. You see him in overtime last night making a key takeaway at the opposing blueline, denying an oddman rush and creating that chance for Rakell? Watching the overtime session again, that was the best Perry I've seen in years. He generated so much offense even for being on Getzlafs line.

He also made several key defensive plays or plays without the puck. It's very good to see, because earlier in the playoffs he was absolutely useless.

It's the jump in his step that opens the door to everything else in his game: scoring chance generation, puck disruption, aggravation, forechecking/boardplay, etc.

Last edited:

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
I thought Perry looked dangerous yesterday for what's it worth, before scoring his goal.. he picked the pocket of the Nashville forward and set up Rakell's chance that hit the post. He had other solid moments, his line carried us in Ot. What we need is MORE of that.

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
Perry's fine. People always questioned his skating from the day he was drafted and it was always an issue. Now that he's 31, he is still finding ways to produces. I do agree his production doesn't match his salary but he is coming up clutch these playoffs regardless how flukey the goals are.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
In all fairness, he does need to step up some more in the regulation time, he is our highest paid player but only 4th best scorer. His OT streak is pretty remarkable but he has scored only 4 goals in 15 games that is barely 20 goal pace in 82 games.

Related to the topic: Silfverberg and Rakell combined have scored 15 goals and are not covering as much cap space COMBINED as the saint himself. They are not yet in their ''cash out'' contracts though, but that gives some perspective
A record held by Maurice Richard, no less. Doesn't count: makes too much money in the regular season.

broman

Mar 9, 2003
HEL's antechamber
A record held by Maurice Richard, no less. Doesn't count: makes too much money in the regular season.

Not bad sir, you have a way with words. :D

Seriously, IMO Perry is one to benefit from Carlyle's MO of shortening the bench and leaning on leaders at crunch time. He gets time, patience and opportunity to leave his mark, and has been delivering in return.

Dunno if it's an age thing but he seems to struggle maintaining focus and concentration in the long haul, but can dip into reserves when others fatigue and fade. Call it experience for better and worse, perseverance and boredom.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I don't think RC's system has anything to do with his decline in production. His best year was with Randy at the helm.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
I don't think RC's system has anything to do with his decline in production. His best year was with Randy at the helm.

Perry just can't make the moves in high traffic areas as well as he used too. he has lost some agility. he also isn't as willing to bring the puck to the net like he did before.

getzlaf game has always been based off strength and deception. he hasnt lost his vision or hands yet. thats why he is still producing.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Not bad sir, you have a way with words. :D

Seriously, IMO Perry is one to benefit from Carlyle's MO of shortening the bench and leaning on leaders at crunch time. He gets time, patience and opportunity to leave his mark, and has been delivering in return.

Dunno if it's an age thing but he seems to struggle maintaining focus and concentration in the long haul, but can dip into reserves when others fatigue and fade. Call it experience for better and worse, perseverance and boredom.

He's been good for the last 8 games or so. He's been at the net, has been critical in goals for which he didn't get assists. He's not his 2009 self (not even his 2016 self), but he's been good.

Perry just can't make the moves in high traffic areas as well as he used too. he has lost some agility. he also isn't as willing to bring the puck to the net like he did before.

getzlaf game has always been based off strength and deception. he hasnt lost his vision or hands yet. thats why he is still producing.

I don't know if he isn't willing so much as he isn't able. He's never been 31-32 before, so hopefully he learns there's a quantum leap in preparation needed to reach the same level in your 30s compared to your 20s.

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
It might not be worth 10 million but he is playing at a 60 point pace during the playoffs. I hope he can be better but it's not like he is a scrub out there either.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Like most of us said, if he produces in the playoffs and is clutch we all will give his crappy regular season a pass. My biggest problem with Perry is when he doesn't move his feet, too many times he is gliding around the ice like he is out of shape.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
He's been good for the last 8 games or so. He's been at the net, has been critical in goals for which he didn't get assists. He's not his 2009 self (not even his 2016 self), but he's been good.

I don't know if he isn't willing so much as he isn't able. He's never been 31-32 before, so hopefully he learns there's a quantum leap in preparation needed to reach the same level in your 30s compared to your 20s.

Well, that would be the $8.6M question. He's pretty much been the anti-Cogs his whole career. My fear is that a few lucky playoff goals will convince him he's doing fine with his current M.O. and that no additional off season work is required.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
The complaints aren't about his talent. They're about his play. He earned those goals.

His game has never been about scoring goals like that. It's been about net front presence and battling hard in front of the net. If you want to say he earned/deserved them because of some hard work OK, but it still was more about catching a couple of very lucky bounces that will not get him back to being a 35 goal 65 point player next year.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
His game has never been about scoring goals like that. It's been about net front presence and battling hard in front of the net. If you want to say he earned/deserved them because of some hard work OK, but it still was more about catching a couple of very lucky bounces that will not get him back to being a 35 goal 65 point player next year.
He's been in front of the net plenty in the playoffs. I know you're talking about some fatalistic crap where the more success he has the less he'll feel inclined to practice over the offseason, but I really couldn't care less about that right now.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
It's iffy. For the 3 game rule to kick in there has to be an altercation, which means that at least one player was going to be penalized for what they were doing to each other physically. They were both given penalties for not listening, which doesn't really qualify unless the league wants to make a point.

It's nowhere near as bad as the DeAngelo example people are using. He was bare gloved, pulled out of the pile, and double hand pushed the linesman away in the chest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad