Player Discussion Corey Perry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Even if he heats up, depending on the matchup unless we make a move we are out in the first round imo.

Maybe so, but he's right. There is nothing Murray can realistically do that will compare with Perry playing like he can.

In the end, it won't matter what moves are made, if Perry is a no-show. Thats 10 million dollars of salary that you're getting nothing out of. Not only does that end up being 10 million of waste, but it drags down whomever he's playing with.

SirQuacksALot

A Garibaldi in Kelp
Mar 16, 2010
Even if he heats up, depending on the matchup unless we make a move we are out in the first round imo.

I don't know. Despite all our complaints the defense and goaltending have been good, they've been hovering around top five in GA/G all season. With a producing offense this team will be a real challenge. I'm not saying they'd be favored against most teams, but that's a potent combination. Perry is supposed to be a huge part of the offense, if he heats up the offense as a whole gets harder to defend against, and first round victory wouldn't be surprising in the least. Making a move for offense is 100% necessary for going any deeper though.

Been saying this for a long time..lol

50 in 11

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
He's just saving it for playoffs, nothing to worry about.
tumblr_inline_mfhr7uKbXc1ro2d43.gif

Try it, kinda helps.

Oct 18, 2011
Strong playoffs is the only way to redeem himself...it's also clear he and Getzlaf can no longer play together. Getzlaf is still very good but they are to easy to defend with lack of speed on their line. I think Murray should ask Perry to waive his NMC while he still may be tradeable, if he has another year like this we're stuck with him for good

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Strong playoffs is the only way to redeem himself...it's also clear he and Getzlaf can no longer play together. Getzlaf is still very good but they are to easy to defend with lack of speed on their line. I think Murray should ask Perry to waive his NMC while he still may be tradeable, if he has another year like this we're stuck with him for good

Yeah he and Getzlaf need to be split up permanently. Perry can't handle any of Getzlafs passes, is rarely in the right position to receive them and kills possession on the cycle frequently.

I am one of the few that think Getzlaf is having a very good year but his point totals are dragged down from having to play with Perry most of the time.

And I would certainly like to see if Perry would waive his NMC but I think he's almost untradable at this point.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Toronto retained on Kessel who is much better than Perry at this point.

Different situation yes, but still.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Maybe some stat watching GM will see his decent point totals and low shooting percentage and think he's due for a bounce back year and give something up for him. Doubtful though.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Maybe some stat watching GM will see his decent point totals and low shooting percentage and think he's due for a bounce back year and give something up for him. Doubtful though.

And Arizona already have stacked up with Pronger, Datsyuk and Bolland to fill their cap space, eh..

Perry`s been such a huge part of this team for years that I`m hesitant to think of trading him. But he better gets his head out of his ass soon.

Has he had any head injuries in the past few years or occasions where he has been hit hard to the head?

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Yeah he and Getzlaf need to be split up permanently. Perry can't handle any of Getzlafs passes, is rarely in the right position to receive them and kills possession on the cycle frequently.

I am one of the few that think Getzlaf is having a very good year but his point totals are dragged down from having to play with Perry most of the time.

And I would certainly like to see if Perry would waive his NMC but I think he's almost untradable at this point.

I think a team like Vegas would take Perry, as he'd be a "big name" from a marketing point of view. I also think that in any hypothetical Perry deal, we'd be looking at a $2 million retention for the rest of the contract (same $$$ as Kessel).

Ultimately, it all comes down to what Perry wants to do.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Bob won't give up on Perry without giving him at least another year to try and bounce back. But even if he was willing to trade him, I can't see any team touching that contract, especially with the rumor of a flat cap going forward.

Perry has one less year left than Dustin Brown. Over the course of their remaining contracts Perry has a cap hit of $2.75M more than Brown (8.625 vs 5.875) and is owed a total $8.5M more than Brown, while playing one less year.

If Perry doesn't pull his head out of his ass, he will surpass Brown for the most untradeable contract in the league.

duxfan8

Sep 13, 2011
South Bay
Bob won't give up on Perry without giving him at least another year to try and bounce back. But even if he was willing to trade him, I can't see any team touching that contract, especially with the rumor of a flat cap going forward.
Perry is making 10 mil this year and next year, so if we really want to trade him while factoring in his actual salary, we would be wise to move him before the end of next season. He also has a total of $8mil in signing bonuses from July 1 2017 - July 2020. Tough money for any team to take with the cap situation, but especially difficult for a smaller market to take. Do I think he'll get traded within the year? No; but it would be the optimal point for us to move him if he still isn't producing points but is an asset on the ice.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Perry's next and last four years are 10,9,8,7. While that is technically declining, it is way too high if his game doesn't bounce back. Nobody is interested in that if he is a broken down goal scorer who can't score.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Not to get dramatic about it, but early on in his career I was very worried about Perry's longevity. Just how he always was falling down or getting hit. That's why some called him Gumby.

I have to wonder if it's catching up to him.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
Cant even remember a game when he looked dangerous out there. What scares me isn't just his lack of production, but he doesn't even look snakebit, he just looks useless.

Oct 18, 2011

Getzlaf has mostly played like normal, Perry was sinking his numbers, Getzlaf still overpasses but an interesting stat I saw the other day is he is still top 5 in the NHL in time possessing the puck per game. Perry is sinking every line he's on right now and based on this quote from Bob it's not going unnoticed

For me it's clear these comments are aimed at Perry and Sami

DucksAreCool

Feb 24, 2015
I think I'd be willing to retain like 3-3.5 million on that contract if we could get Perry to waive. I think worst case scenario is buying out the last two years of Perry's contract. I think it would be like 2.89 million over four seasons.

That would free up almost six million in cap space for those two years while the last two would see the Getzlaf and Kesler deals, respectively, roll off and offer us some cap relief while having that buyout money on the books. Gibson's current deal would run out at that time, too. It's timed pretty well for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad