OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) III - Use Spoiler Tags!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Finished Mindhunters last night. That was such a great show, glad it is getting a second season! I also love shows lately that have that older setting and aesthetic.

Ok, so this is the next show that I need a helping hand on.... I watched episode 1 about a month ago and I haven’t gone back to it.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Ok, so this is the next show that I need a helping hand on.... I watched episode 1 about a month ago and I haven’t gone back to it.

I'm not sure if it could be your kind of show then perhaps. I watched the first episode and I was pretty hooked. I really enjoy anything about solving murders and the process in how they are trying to learn how to understand a serial killer is pretty interesting to me.

Some of it can be hit or miss, but it really shows how our understand has changed about killers as it was set in the 70's. Showing how inexperienced law enforcement was about everything and how there was so much push back and bureaucracy about it all feels pretty real.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I'm not sure if it could be your kind of show then perhaps. I watched the first episode and I was pretty hooked. I really enjoy anything about solving murders and the process in how they are trying to learn how to understand a serial killer is pretty interesting to me.

Some of it can be hit or miss, but it really shows how our understand has changed about killers as it was set in the 70's. Showing how inexperienced law enforcement was about everything and how there was so much push back and bureaucracy about it all feels pretty real.

I actually liked the episode, sometimes seeing shows on here gets my interest peaked again and makes me watch a show. Just looking for a little kick in the butt lol.

Btw, has anyone watched the show with the detective from this show (Holt McCallany) that was about Boxing, called Lights Out? I really liked it but it got cancelled after the 1st season.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Watched The new Bladerunner and Star Wars today. Oh boy oh boy did Star Wars disappoint on so many levels. I’m not a huge fan but I do enjoy Sci Fi and the series for the most part but this movie really just continues down the spiral that Force Awakens started. Yet it made over a billion so Disney will just continue along the same path.

Reactions: JK3

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Watched The new Bladerunner and Star Wars today. Oh boy oh boy did Star Wars disappoint on so many levels. I’m not a huge fan but I do enjoy Sci Fi and the series for the most part but this movie really just continues down the spiral that Force Awakens started. Yet it made over a billion so Disney will just continue along the same path.

I liked some parts of it, but it wasnt great. I just watched the new blade runner too and oh boy THAT was a beautiful and amazing movie. But of course it didnt do well at the box office sadly.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I liked some parts of it, but it wasnt great. I just watched the new blade runner too and oh boy THAT was a beautiful and amazing movie. But of course it didnt do well at the box office sadly.

I just saw the original a few years ago but futuristic/ Sci Fi is definitely my type of movie normally. Overall I liked it, I’d say a 7/10 on my very picky scale. The Last Jedi would get like a 3/10 and it starts with bad acting/storyline.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014

Saw both of these in the theaters as well.

I didn't like the new SW either, in fact I can only really remember one thing from it and it's the thing about it that I find most grating. The whole rebel=good/righteous and anyone they're fighting is bad news is just beat to DEATH in this one. I get it, how about writing an interesting script now? The characters also go to great lengths to be obtuse at times and it just made for a very long film to endure.

With Bladerunner I was underwhelmed in a different way. It was visually stunning for sure, cool imagery throughout and Ana de Armas is exceedingly easy on the eyes. I did not dislike the film but I was kinda meh over the story itself. Like after it was over I didn't regret sitting through it, I just kind of wondered what the point of the long film was because despite the awesome imagery, I didn't feel like I sat through an engaging story. I'll have to watch it again and see if it strikes me more on the 2nd viewing.

Honestly the last thing I enjoyed seeing in the theater was Thor: Ragnarok. It was just an excuse to get out of the house but we both loved the sense of humor in it, even more so than GOTG (1 and 2). I thought the comedic aspect was a huge strength because I found the first two Thor films to be rather lifeless and I'll never sit through them again. I think this is the angle they take with all the superhero type stuff now since those films pretty much make up the entire action movie market these days. Make it bombastic, eye popping, etc...but most of all, writers try to keep it light and funny so the audience is always in on the joke.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Since you guys are talking about scifi has anyone seen The Expanse? It's pretty good for something on the Syfy channel.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Since you guys are talking about scifi has anyone seen The Expanse? It's pretty good for something on the Syfy channel.

I watched the first season and felt it was meh. And got so f***ing bored of it part way into season two and dropped it, pretty disappointing overall for me.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
I love sci-fi but unfortunately I'm on the outside looking in because I'm WAY more into films than shows and everything is about shows nowadays. The last thing I binged was Stranger Things 1&2 but it's rare for me to get into a show at all.

I like content to be condensed and rich, like in a 90-120 minute film. I feel like shows make me spend far too much time watching something they could have squeezed into a mere fraction of the time but that's how the world works unfortunately when it comes to advertising, ratings, captive audiences, etc.

I think the last sort of sci-fi/scare type film I watched recently that I kind of liked was Coherence. It's very sparse in terms of setting and budget and it's got an improvisation type feel to the banter so that might annoy some folks. It's not a found footage type affair though so it's definitely crafted with far greater care than that sort of thing. I just really liked the premise and how the story unfolds.

It's kind of like a very well developed Twilight Zone episode. TZ is my kind of show, I like eerie and foreboding atmosphere and I think they captured that in a lot of the old TZs. That might be why I got pulled into Stranger Things when I binged the show.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
I watched the first season and felt it was meh. And got so ****ing bored of it part way into season two and dropped it, pretty disappointing overall for me.
I can see why people think its boring but I like it. I did completely forget about it after season 1 though lol, just finishing up season 2.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Saw both of these in the theaters as well.

I didn't like the new SW either, in fact I can only really remember one thing from it and it's the thing about it that I find most grating. The whole rebel=good/righteous and anyone they're fighting is bad news is just beat to DEATH in this one. I get it, how about writing an interesting script now? The characters also go to great lengths to be obtuse at times and it just made for a very long film to endure.

With Bladerunner I was underwhelmed in a different way. It was visually stunning for sure, cool imagery throughout and Ana de Armas is exceedingly easy on the eyes. I did not dislike the film but I was kinda meh over the story itself. Like after it was over I didn't regret sitting through it, I just kind of wondered what the point of the long film was because despite the awesome imagery, I didn't feel like I sat through an engaging story. I'll have to watch it again and see if it strikes me more on the 2nd viewing.

Honestly the last thing I enjoyed seeing in the theater was Thor: Ragnarok. It was just an excuse to get out of the house but we both loved the sense of humor in it, even more so than GOTG (1 and 2). I thought the comedic aspect was a huge strength because I found the first two Thor films to be rather lifeless and I'll never sit through them again. I think this is the angle they take with all the superhero type stuff now since those films pretty much make up the entire action movie market these days. Make it bombastic, eye popping, etc...but most of all, writers try to keep it light and funny so the audience is always in on the joke.

Ana De Armas is my new Hollywood crush. She’s going to be everywhere the next few years. I watched War Dogs and Knock Knock just because of her :laugh:. I haven’t gotten to see Thor yet but I’m definitely looking forward to it. Hard to find the time to see movies in theaters nowadays but Avengers will be the only definite for me this year.

Thanks, i’ll Give it a shot.

I love sci-fi but unfortunately I'm on the outside looking in because I'm WAY more into films than shows and everything is about shows nowadays. The last thing I binged was Stranger Things 1&2 but it's rare for me to get into a show at all.

I like content to be condensed and rich, like in a 90-120 minute film. I feel like shows make me spend far too much time watching something they could have squeezed into a mere fraction of the time but that's how the world works unfortunately when it comes to advertising, ratings, captive audiences, etc.

I think the last sort of sci-fi/scare type film I watched recently that I kind of liked was Coherence. It's very sparse in terms of setting and budget and it's got an improvisation type feel to the banter so that might annoy some folks. It's not a found footage type affair though so it's definitely crafted with far greater care than that sort of thing. I just really liked the premise and how the story unfolds.

It's kind of like a very well developed Twilight Zone episode. TZ is my kind of show, I like eerie and foreboding atmosphere and I think they captured that in a lot of the old TZs. That might be why I got pulled into Stranger Things when I binged the show.

I haven’t gotten to get into season 2 yet but I loved season 1 of Stranger Things (minus the wrap up). Someone suggested Black Mirror (I don’t think it was you) to me a few weeks ago and I definitely agree that it has a Twilight Zone feel to it but with a technology twist.

Reactions: mtnet and Darkauron

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
I did check out a bit of Black Mirror but I may need to give it another shot. It's difficult for me to sit down and try to get into a show so I may not have been in the right mindset at the time to get started with it.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I did check out a bit of Black Mirror but I may need to give it another shot. It's difficult for me to sit down and try to get into a show so I may not have been in the right mindset at the time to get started with it.

Read the synopsis for each episode and pick what suits your fantsy. They play like a movie so just sit back and enjoy. The next episode i will watch is based on a new dating site that matches ppl up and gives them the predetermined longevity of their relationship. Sounds interesting to me.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
The might be why I like TZ too, standalone aspect of the episodes instead of feigning a contrived cliffhanger from one week to the next like a typical show.

I'll give Mirror another look.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Everyone needs to check out Crazy Like a Fox by Liam O'Rourke on the late great Brian Pillman. This is probably the best wrestling related book and trust me I've read a ton of them. Even if you aren't a wrestling fan his story is so incredible and captivating that you will be unable to put this book down.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
This is technically also Devils news: Slayer is embarking on their farewell tour and are playing PNC in early June.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
So this was one of the best weekends WWE put on in a long time.

For NXT Takeover, the Adam Cole vs Aleister Black match was OUT OF CONTROL.

Both Rumbles were great... A lot of surprises and some NXT talent on display.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I managed to stay away from the news, so that probably helped my enjoyment of the Rumbles. If anything I wasn't expecting a Rousey appearance.

I was shocked that the Men's Rumble was in the middle of the card. I feared that the women would put in a tough spot, but it was booked pretty well.

I knew Rusev Day was over, but that crowd was eating it up. Glad that he got to last awhile in the match after being quickly eliminated in the AJ debut year. The Heath Slater spots were great. Just to steal somebody else's thought from the wrestling sub-board, who would have expected to see Rey Mysterio against Adam Cole in the Rumble?

As others have noted, the Ronda debut was a little clunky. Took a few seconds to connect her music as her UFC walkout music. Doesn't work as well for a WWE theme. I know they're likely gonna book her as a female Brock, but I wish they would try to have Ronda play a goofy version of herself a la Kurt Angle.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
has anyone here ever seen Brooklyn 99? I had to watch a few episodes last week…brutal. they ripped off SO MANY characters and concepts from other shows and threw it all together hoping for the best. flashbacks from family guy, camera style of the office, a blatant april ludgate copy from P&R, etc etc etc…and none of it works. it’s a shame, andy samburg is amazing. joe lo truglio, too.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I managed to stay away from the news, so that probably helped my enjoyment of the Rumbles. If anything I wasn't expecting a Rousey appearance.

I was shocked that the Men's Rumble was in the middle of the card. I feared that the women would put in a tough spot, but it was booked pretty well.

I knew Rusev Day was over, but that crowd was eating it up. Glad that he got to last awhile in the match after being quickly eliminated in the AJ debut year. The Heath Slater spots were great. Just to steal somebody else's thought from the wrestling sub-board, who would have expected to see Rey Mysterio against Adam Cole in the Rumble?

As others have noted, the Ronda debut was a little clunky. Took a few seconds to connect her music as her UFC walkout music. Doesn't work as well for a WWE theme. I know they're likely gonna book her as a female Brock, but I wish they would try to have Ronda play a goofy version of herself a la Kurt Angle.

Fortunately I don't think she's going to be a female Brock. She's signed FULL TIME and has been training for two months. I can't take Brock anymore... He was mad that Braun's knee hit him a little to hard on one spot... so he legit punched Braun in the face... like an actual closed fist punch to the side of the head that landed real hard. I remember he took it too far with Randy Orton last year and got in an actual fight with Jericho over it in the locker room. He needs to go. The title is a joke because he shows up whenever he feels like it just to get ready for a big match at a PPV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad