Connor McDavid vs Jack Eichel

Status
Not open for further replies.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
They're both pretty immature players and are 2-3 years away from being ready to dominate the NHL. I'm still surprised at their lack of success in a U-20 tournament.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Ugh, and here we go with the "Eichel is selfish" crap.

No, he's not selfish. Team USA's game plan was to give the puck to Eichel and hope he could create something. It's not that he forces plays or doesn't pass the puck, it's that Team USA was constantly deferring to Eichel.

Just watch their PPs. Everyone gives the puck right back to Eichel, and no one moves. The direction was clearly to give it to Jack and let him make something happen. Just a terrible game plan, and it cost them. Poor coaching and team construction makes the illusion that Eichel is a selfish player. It's just not true.

And if you don't believe me, watch a BU game. But I can't imagine anyone criticizing Eichel for these five games would care to be informed, anyway.

Evolu7ion

#firelindenning
Sep 20, 2010
Victoria, BC
They're both pretty immature players and are 2-3 years away from being ready to dominate the NHL. I'm still surprised at their lack of success in a U-20 tournament.

Jury is still out for McDavid - he's got a big game today (the first of the games that actually matter) and he looked really strong in the third period of the last game, and he is still sitting at PPG so far through the first four games of exhibition.

DeanYoungblood10

Dec 18, 2014
Really wanted to see a Canada vs usa final. Lots of pressure it must've been for eichel being the captain and trying to impress the scouts

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
Eichel has been better than McDavid so...

How so? He didn't look so good today. And I'd say they were equal going in. I certainly didn't see one standing out over the other. Yes Eichel is on the US' top line...as would McDavid be. Put Reinhart on the US and he's your top center...or your coach isn't too bright.

Beaunett

Dec 29, 2014
North

Not really with Eichel's position as the go to guy he didn't live up to expectations. I'd say McDavid had the better tournament even in his position. Eichel disappeared when put up against actual competition.

RobbieJMosher

Jul 8, 2012
the people that think Eichel is a selfish player are the same people who thought Drouin was a selfish player.

Moving on.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
How so? He didn't look so good today. And I'd say they were equal going in. I certainly didn't see one standing out over the other. Yes Eichel is on the US' top line...as would McDavid be. Put Reinhart on the US and he's your top center...or your coach isn't too bright.

Not really with Eichel's position as the go to guy he didn't live up to expectations. I'd say McDavid had the better tournament even in his position. Eichel disappeared when put up against actual competition.

If Eichel had Sam Reinhart to soak up top competition and linemates like Virtanen and Lazar, and McDavid were put in a position where he had crap linemates and had to play the toughest minutes and have the pressure of being the only consistent offensive threat on his team, I think you'd be singing another tune.

I really can't take people who think Eichel wasn't good today.

If you wanna say "Eichel didn't live up to his expectations", that's fine; you then must also say that McDavid's expectations are half of what Eichel's were.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Ugh, and here we go with the "Eichel is selfish" crap.

No, he's not selfish. Team USA's game plan was to give the puck to Eichel and hope he could create something. It's not that he forces plays or doesn't pass the puck, it's that Team USA was constantly deferring to Eichel.

Just watch their PPs. Everyone gives the puck right back to Eichel, and no one moves. The direction was clearly to give it to Jack and let him make something happen. Just a terrible game plan, and it cost them. Poor coaching and team construction makes the illusion that Eichel is a selfish player. It's just not true.

And if you don't believe me, watch a BU game. But I can't imagine anyone criticizing Eichel for these five games would care to be informed, anyway.

I got that sense as well. Eichel just never got into the flow of the game. I've watched him on BU, and, while he does skate with the puck a lot, he does a better job distributing it before he runs into trouble.

Eichel's speed, skill and power was all obvious. He looked like the best player on the ice most games. The production just wasn't there.

I doubt he gets picked over McDavid now--I think a superior performance in this tournament was necessary for that to happen. But I don't think his stock has diminished, in fact, I would say it has improved marginally.

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
If Eichel had Sam Reinhart to soak up top competition and linemates like Virtanen and Lazar, and McDavid were put in a position where he had crap linemates and had to play the toughest minutes and have the pressure of being the only consistent offensive threat on his team, I think you'd be singing another tune.

If you wanna say "Eichel didn't live up to his expectations", that's fine; you then must also say that McDavid's expectations are half of what Eichel's were.

Eichel really wasn't good today. Sorry. I expected much more from him and he didnt deliver. Top guys need to deliver in the biggest games and he didnt. I dont think it hurts his stock any just not a great game..but if McDavid tears it up get ready for the b.s...

And if you want to look at a player stepping up and doing whatever he could to help his team win...loon no further than Dylan Larkin.that is what I expected from Eichel today..

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
McDavid has that ability to make players around him better, and has a sense of how and when to attack with the ability to adapt to solve a stingy defensive system from the opposition. These are abilities Eichel simply did not display when it mattered, not saying they aren't there but if they are I certainly cannot see them.

There's an old saying that you don't really know someone until the road gets rocky. For Eichel when the road got rocky he resorted back to forcing plays on his own and not involving teammates. In time I'm sure that area of his game will improve, but it doesn't come as naturally to him as it does for McDavid.

This is definitely something McDavid does better than Eichel. He gives up the puck to his teamates in all three zones and trusts that he will get it back. The result is that his team plays with much more flow. This is unusual for an extroardinary talent at the junior level. Crosby always played that way too.

Eichel is a pass-first guy, but he always wants to carry the puck himself until the team is in a scoring position. He absolutely has to learn to give the puck to open teamates in the neutral zone and then skate to space. He will not be able to play like this in the NHL.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005

I'm not saying Eichel sucks or anything close to that. I'm not saying McDavid has lit up the tournament. I'm saying they both looked like a couple of highly touted 17 year olds...looked pretty good, certainly didn't dominate. I don't know how anyone could say one stood out over the other.

Put it this way...I'd bet Mcdavid stays top ranked even after being out all this time and being outplayed in the tournament nudge nudge wink wink Because Eichel didn't really outplay him.

Beaunett

Dec 29, 2014
North

Pressure of playing for team Canada on home ice where hockey's everything - I can do that too. Elite players usually thrive under pressure that being said those that mean these two won't become elite players. Who knows? Relating back to the reason why this thread started ~ McDavid>Eichel.

Draw Me a McElephant

Mar 9, 2011
People are being way too hard on Eichel. A few times he tried to do too much himself in an attempt to get his team back in the game - big deal. If he is still doing that when he is an NHL vet I'll be worried, but for now he is still a kid and has plenty of time to learn what he can and cannot get away with at a high level. All the tools are still there to be a superstar.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Crosby had 6 goals 3 assists in the WJ and they won gold. How is that not dominant?

Crosby also played on a line with Bergeron and Perry. I mean I guess it's possible that Lazar and Virtanen are as good as those two, but I don't see them as being anywhere near. Crosby also had ridiculous chemistry with Bergeron whereas I haven't seen that from McDavid with anyone... hard to say if that's McDavid's fault or not. You're probably right, he probably won't be as good as Crosby, but I don't think a few games in one short tournament are anywhere near enough data to ascertain that.

I've definitely noticed that McDavid uses his teammates a lot (far more than Eichel), but his linemates aren't really doing much with the puck when he gets it to him. On that basis I have him above Eichel for the draft, I think his hockey sense and ability to use his teammates will translate really well to the NHL.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco

No he hasn't. He's been more flashy and noticeable, shown more physical dominance and skill, but McDavid has been more effective. As Yogi Berra said, 90% of the game is half mental.

(Not saying Eichel won't be a tremendous player though... just think McDavid has a small edge.)

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg

If only McDavid wasn't coming into the tournament having not played in a month and not coming off of a broken hand... Blah blah blah. Excuses.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I thought Eichel looked good early in the tournament, but he didn't look that good versus Canada or today versus Russia.

Another thing that is a bit of a knock against his play is the fact he wasn't even named one of the 3 best players for the US during the tournament. Fasching, Butcher, and Larkin were selected.

This isn't really a huge knock against Eichel's potential going forward. Just that, if he had any chance of knocking off McDavid for the #1 overall selection in June, it would have been the result of him being absolutely dominant at one of these big tournaments. But while you could argue he was solid, he wasn't mind-blowingly awesome to make people take notice.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
I thought Eichel looked good early in the tournament, but he didn't look that good versus Canada or today versus Russia.

Another thing that is a bit of a knock against his play is the fact he wasn't even named one of the 3 best players for the US during the tournament. Fasching, Butcher, and Larkin were selected.

This isn't really a huge knock against Eichel's potential going forward. Just that, if he had any chance of knocking off McDavid for the #1 overall selection in June, it would have been the result of him being absolutely dominant at one of these big tournaments. But while you could argue he was solid, he wasn't mind-blowingly awesome to make people take notice.

Exactly.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
Really wanted to see a Canada vs usa final. Lots of pressure it must've been for eichel being the captain and trying to impress the scouts

At this point Eichel doesn't need to impress the scouts much more. I don't think that his performance in the WJHC is going to effect his draft ranking. Eichel is going to lead the Terriers to the NCAA tournament as a #1 seed in one of the regions. If BU doesn't win the title I don't think it would hurt Eichel's draft status either.

The only thing that will drop either player outside the top 2, in the draft, would be NHL team needs. If the top two teams picking need defenseman, they probably go that way with building there team.

I also don't think that if Erie gets knocked out if the 1st round, don't see that happening, that will effect McDavid's draft stock.

FytinSioux

Blackhawksssssss
Nov 30, 2009
ND

In that case I guarantee Reinhart would be our 2C. :laugh:

Slick Willy*

I don't think this tournament is a good gauge for not only these guys but for almost all of the other players that we are seeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad