Connor McDavid vs Jack Eichel

Status
Not open for further replies.

end2endrush

Sep 6, 2012
Both playing at World Jrs, I think its fair to say McDavid is'nt living up to the expectation put on him at this tournament. On the other hand, Eichel is really starting to turn some heads. In my opinion I think the #1 pick for the 2015 draft between these 2 is closer than you think. Also can't throw away Noah Hanifin either, I've been told he is just as good or better than Seth Jones. So who do you all think is going to go #1 in the 2015 draft?

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
It's already pre-determined. Nothing will change that. Absolutely nothing.

UvBnDatsyuked

Apr 30, 2005
I think Eichel has done some good things for his stock but there is still a lot of time for McDavid to show he is still #1 for 2015.

I think McDavid will separate himself over the next year and a half from the next set of players Eichel, Barzal, Hanifin. I see something special with McDavid. Hanifin being a Dman might even creep up to the #2 spot or #1 since he seems to be playing out to be developing into a #1 Dman which is highly coveted.

JCF

Feb 28, 2013
Toronto, Ontario
McDavid had a couple of penalties, he's not disapointing.This is being blown way out of the water with McDavids play in the WJR's. McDavid has 3 points in 2 games, better than Crosby at 16. Eichel has 4 in 3 (McDavid better PPG). Tell me how with those numbers Eichel is closing the gap/pulling away from McDavid. I'm not saying Eichel isn't special, he's gonna be great, but McDavid is going to go #1. The fact that he's over PPG in the tournament and people are saying he's under performing tells a lot about him. When he starts finishing and shooting some more, it'll be scary.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Both playing at World Jrs, I think its fair to say McDavid is'nt living up to the expectation put on him at this tournament. On the other hand, Eichel is really starting to turn some heads. In my opinion I think the #1 pick for the 2015 draft between these 2 is closer than you think. Also can't throw away Noah Hanifin either, I've been told he is just as good or better than Seth Jones. So who do you all think is going to go #1 in the 2015 draft?

Bold/Underline 1 - No it's not, he played well in game 1 against Germany and everyone was loving him and then he has 2 penalties in game 2 and a bunch of simpletons throw everything he's done over the last 2 years + 1 World Junior game out the window lol If you mean the expectations some people had for him are stupid, then I agree.

Bold 2 - Eichel has proved that he is who we thought he was:

A good prospect.

Bold 3 - McDavid and it's not even remotely close in my opinion.

I remember a thread, someone brought up the Kessel vs. Crosby stuff and I think this is going to be similar. I think Eichel will be unfairly measured against McDavid when in reality one is on a level above.

I also love how the people who put tons of stock in a short tournament @ Christmas are the same people who never watch the U18 tournament lol None of them saw McDavid rip that tournament apart while Eichel wasn't doing much of anything. And McDavid is eligible for another U18 tournament because of his age.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
In 2015 the scouts will definitely refer back to the first two round robin games of this tournament in deciding who goes first overall.

end2endrush

Sep 6, 2012
he's not Crosby. Eichel has been better this tournament, hes more noticable. Mcdavid was talked up to be this all star and yea I'm pretty sure my 7 year old nephew could pop a hat trick vs Germany. I'll say I think Mcdavid has
more elite skill, but overall package? Eichel just looks pretty damn solid to me

Last edited by a moderator:

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Come on, 2 games into the world juniors and you're saying this.

What about the under 18 where Connor lead all scorers with 14 points in 7 games (8 goals and 6 helpers with a +8) and was voted best forward and MVP by the coaches.

Eichel had 1 goal and 1 helper in 7 games with a plus 3 and wasn't even in the top 3 on his team voted by the coaches.

Of course 10 years from now, Eichel might turn out to be the best player, but for now, Connor is the consensus number 1 in 2015.

Last edited:

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
he's not Crosby. Eichel has been better this tournament, hes more noticable. Mcdavid was talked up to be this all star and yea I'm pretty sure my 7 year old nephew could pop a hat trick vs Germany. I'll say I think Mcdavid has
more elite skill, but overall package? Eichel just looks pretty damn solid to me

Who said he was Crosby? I don't think you "set" anyone off. They just responded. Yes, Jack is more noticeable, the whole US team is, they're playing awesome hockey...Canada isn't. One player isn't the team.

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
You realize Crosby did not light up the WJC as a 16 year old right?

Scouts look at a players body of work when evaluating prospects and McDavid seems an amazing prospect so far, which is not a knock on Eichel.

McDavid is a special player, no need for you or others to compare him to Crowby and build such expectations.

I'm an American btw who would be thrilled if Eichel passes McDavid.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011

Lol. You made a thread based off of two games at the WJC.

Connor McDavid:

WHC-U17 - 5GP, 6G, 9Pts
WJC-U18 - 7GP, 8G, 14Pts
WJC-U20 - 2GP, 0G, 3Pts

Jack Eichel:

WHC-U17 - 5GP, 3G, 3Pts
WJC-U18 - 7GP, 1G, 2Pts
WJC-U20 - 3GP, 1G, 4Pts

Their international resumes aren't comparable, McDavid is younger, and he is incredibly dynamic.

Having never seen Eichel play before, he has definitely been impressive.. but at this point, it's McDavid and then everyone else for the 2015 draft.. the fact that Eichel has 1 more point than McDavid won't/doesn't change that.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009

Eichel only got 1 point vs. Germany... Awkward!

This post kind of proves that no matter what McDavid does, you (and some others out there) will try to say others are better based off their passport. Pathetic.

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal
It's all a question of development curve. For all we know, Eichel will develop more in the next few years and overtake McDavid.

Also, I wonder how many points Eichel would have in the Q right now had he joined Halifax with Drouin and Ehlers.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Too freakin' early to vault Eichel to number, way too early. Come talk to me when the medal rounds are over, then we'll see if Eichel even has a shot at rampaging to the top of 2015 draft class.

That being said, impressed I am with Eichel.

Last edited:

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
McDavid is still the better prospect. Doesn't mean Eichel isn't a special prospect himself, but 2 games doesn't change anything.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
It's all a question of development curve. For all we know, Eichel will develop more in the next few years and overtake McDavid.

Also, I wonder how many points Eichel would have in the Q right now had he joined Halifax with Drouin and Ehlers.

probably wouldn't go over well seeing as Saint John own his rights :sarcasm:

I wish he went to Halifax when they picked him a couple years back though, that would have been fun to see him on a Memorial Cup winner & then this year Halifax would still likely be the favorite.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
I think Eichel vs Barzal will be the more relevant conversation come next year. I think Mcdavid is a cut above.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
this tournament wont matter for eichel in catching up to mcdavid. next year both will be back and be the guy for both their nations. eichel will also be playing college hockey prior to being draft eligible. if he lights up the NCAA it will go far more to showing his worth than a small sample size of the WJC held 2 years before they will be drafted.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Is it possible to praise Eichel for being awesome without comparing him to McDavid? McDavid is in his own tier. Then it's Eichel, Hanifin, and Barzal very close together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad