Connor McDavid vs Jack Eichel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beaunett

Dec 29, 2014
North
I don't think this tournament is a good gauge for not only these guys but for almost all of the other players that we are seeing.

Yeah now it isn't right. Just earlier this week you guys were saying Eichel's the better prospect just based off this tournament alone and Eichel's perfomance wasn't even impressive enough to say he's the unanimous number one prospect. It's a double standard thing with you guys in this thread or what?

Slick Willy*

Yeah now it isn't right. Just earlier this week you guys were saying Eichel's the better prospect just based off this tournament alone and Eichel's perfomance wasn't even impressive enough to say he's the unanimous number one prospect. It's a double standard thing with you guys in this thread or what?

Where did I say that? :loony:

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
At this point Eichel doesn't need to impress the scouts much more. I don't think that his performance in the WJHC is going to effect his draft ranking. Eichel is going to lead the Terriers to the NCAA tournament as a #1 seed in one of the regions. If BU doesn't win the title I don't think it would hurt Eichel's draft status either.

The only thing that will drop either player outside the top 2, in the draft, would be NHL team needs. If the top two teams picking need defenseman, they probably go that way with building there team.

I also don't think that if Erie gets knocked out if the 1st round, don't see that happening, that will effect McDavid's draft stock.
No. And no. lol

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Eichel certainly has had higher highs than McDavid, but he also had some of his flaws exposed. The kid clearly put too much pressure on himself to do it all. He needs to be willing to play more of a team game. He doesn't have to be the catalyst for everything.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC

I said it and it still stands.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
16 year old Connor McDavid at U20s - 7GP 1G 3A 4PTS
18 year old Jack Eichel at U20s - 5GP 1G 3A 4PTS

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
Eichel certainly has had higher highs than McDavid, but he also had some of his flaws exposed. The kid clearly put too much pressure on himself to do it all. He needs to be willing to play more of a team game. He doesn't have to be the catalyst for everything.

He feels what Ehlers and Nylander feel. Worse actually. Denmark and Sweden are not expected to rival Canada like the US is.

ozzie

Aug 3, 2005
Australia
All I know is people in general expect way to much out of these kids, generational or elite talent regardless at this tournament.

This tournament is usually dominated by 19/20 year olds. Even players like Crosby were relegated to supporting cast letting the older players lead the way. Crosby had 6/9 points in his 17/18 year old seasons. Ovechkin was good but broke out during his 19 year old season.

Remember Eric Lindros? it took his second World Junior appearance to really dominate.

Eichel had a poor tournament, Mcdavid is still playing. Nothing has changed, both players weren't or haven't been exactly dominating for their teams.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
This tournament is usually dominated by 19/20 year olds. Even players like Crosby were relegated to supporting cast letting the older players lead the way. Crosby had 6/9 points in his 17/18 year old seasons. Ovechkin was good but broke out during his 19 year old season.

Crosby played as a 16/17 year old. At 18 he was scoring 102 points in the NHL.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Thank you for stating an obvious fact that had nothing to do with me posting last years stats for McDavid

It has everything to do with your post. You're implying that McDavid was two years younger last year than Eichel is this year, which is not true. They're the same age. McDavid last year was a year younger than Eichel is this year. Last year Eichel, at the same age, Eichel had marginally better stats and a better overall perforamnce in my book. Neither player had great tournaments this year. Eichel started out with the better performances while McDavid's been improving the past couple games. Neither player is on the best line of their team. Larkin-Fasching was USA's best line while Domi-Reinhart-Duclair is Canada's best line. Throw either of these guys in the tournament next year and they'd crush it, but we'll never know since they'll both be NHL regulars.

In his post-draft season he was scoring in the NHL. Not in his draft season, which is what this is for McDavid and Eichel. When someone says "17/18 year old seasons" they obviously mean draft year, pre-draft year.

ozzie

Aug 3, 2005
Australia

Well I can re-word it to their 16/17 junior seasons, draft year or whatever. The point still stands. He turned 18 in August, but he turned 18 that year is the point.

Regardless, players in their draft season rarely dominate this tournament as much as people hope and expect them too.

Beaunett

Dec 29, 2014
North
It has everything to do with your post. You're implying that McDavid was two years younger last year than Eichel is this year, which is not true. They're the same age. McDavid last year was a year younger than Eichel is this year. Last year Eichel, at the same age, Eichel had marginally better stats and a better overall perforamnce in my book. Neither player had great tournaments this year. Eichel started out with the better performances while McDavid's been improving the past couple games. Neither player is on the best line of their team. Larkin-Fasching was USA's best line while Domi-Reinhart-Duclair is Canada's best line. Throw either of these guys in the tournament next year and they'd crush it, but we'll never know since they'll both be NHL regulars.

In his post-draft season he was scoring in the NHL. Not in his draft season, which is what this is for McDavid and Eichel. When someone says "17/18 year old seasons" they obviously mean draft year, pre-draft year.

That's why their best line wasn't out in the last 30 seconds of the QFs. Eichel plays on the top line while McDavid doesn't. Eichel's line should have been the best line, but they weren't either it be due to chemistry or other things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad