Connor McDavid vs Jack Eichel

Status
Not open for further replies.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
It has everything to do with your post. You're implying that McDavid was two years younger last year than Eichel is this year, which is not true. They're the same age. McDavid last year was a year younger than Eichel is this year. Last year Eichel, at the same age, Eichel had marginally better stats and a better overall perforamnce in my book. Neither player had great tournaments this year. Eichel started out with the better performances while McDavid's been improving the past couple games. Neither player is on the best line of their team. Larkin-Fasching was USA's best line while Domi-Reinhart-Duclair is Canada's best line. Throw either of these guys in the tournament next year and they'd crush it, but we'll never know since they'll both be NHL regulars.

Orly? Let me ask you 5 questions

Was Connor McDavid eligible for U17s last year? Was Eichel?
Is Connor McDavid eligible for U18s this year? Is Eichel?
Does 96 = 97 ?

Welcome to IIHF events

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
That doesn't matter because Eichel's line should have been the best line.

At least that was the expectation coming into the tournament, right?

Fair enough but I'm just saying neither player is playing on his team's best line. In McDavid's case he has stiffer competition in the form of Reinhart, but both of those lines have a lot going on at wing as well. McDavid's better than Eichel in my book -- I wasn't equating them. I was just supporting the guy the comment I responded to was arguing against, supporting the notion that these elite prospects generally don't simply dominate the WJC in their draft years. Most of them never make it back in their post-draft years either.

Orly? Let me ask you 5 questions

Was Connor McDavid eligible for U17s last year? Was Eichel?
Is Connor McDavid eligible for U18s this year? Is Eichel?
Does 96 = 97 ?

Welcome to IIHF events

Is Connor McDavid in his third OHL season already? Is he only a couple months younger than Eichel? They're the same age. Welcome to common sense.

Beaunett

Dec 29, 2014
North
In stokes84's eyes I guess McDavid's the better prospect since now he's had the better week - stats wise. :sarcasm:

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
I Think McDavid is the most overrated and over hyped prospect since Daigle. LOL at anyone who thinks he's a generational talent.

In 3 years from now....

iStock_000014734522XSmall-300x199.jpg

Bon appetit ;)

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I've been a big fan of McDavid for a long time, and have long considered him better than Eichel (check my post history), but he is going to have to get significantly stronger to be an elite player at the next level. Watching him get knocked around by Danish defenseman is not a good sign, and it's not something you can chalk up to rust.

When he's got space, he's super dangerous. He's got elite hands, quickness, speed, and vision. That will make him a top line forward regardless. But the Crosby comparisons make no sense until he can prove some level of physical strength in the corners. He has looked much stronger this year in Erie, but in tight checking games (like in the NHL) he is going to struggle, just like he did vs USA. I expect him to be more like a RNH than a Crosby at this point, with Eichel a mix of Getzlaf and Mackinnon. I now see it as a coin flip. Eichel would not be the wrong choice at number 1.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Professional sports is a body building contest. I'd rather take the guy who could play D1 football as something other than a kicker or punter. Part of Ovi's dominance is how good he is on the hoof. You don't need such an amazing hockey "IQ" if you're big, fast, and strong.

reminder that this guy:

normal.jpg

is the best player of all time and 20 times better than even this guy:

Eric_Lindros.jpg

You actually have the addage backwards, You don't need to be big, fast, and strong if you have amazing hockey IQ

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
I've been a big fan of McDavid for a long time, and have long considered him better than Eichel (check my post history), but he is going to have to get significantly stronger to be an elite player at the next level. Watching him get knocked around by Danish defenseman is not a good sign, and it's not something you can chalk up to rust.

When he's got space, he's super dangerous. He's got elite hands, quickness, speed, and vision. That will make him a top line forward regardless. But the Crosby comparisons make no sense until he can prove some level of physical strength in the corners. He has looked much stronger this year in Erie, but in tight checking games (like in the NHL) he is going to struggle, just like he did vs USA. I expect him to be more like a RNH than a Crosby at this point, with Eichel a mix of Getzlaf and Mackinnon. I now see it as a coin flip. Eichel would not be the wrong choice at number 1.

Lol what? Mix of Getzlaf and MacKinnon? They are like completely different players.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Is Connor McDavid in his third OHL season already? Is he only a couple months younger than Eichel? They're the same age. Welcome to common sense.

:laugh: it's funny because you thought that was so smart.

McDavid played with '96 borns his entire life just like Eichel played with '95 borns his entire life. When he was 14 he was playing with '92 '93 and '94 borns.

Your "common sense" has failed you

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Eichel is not close to McDavid's level.

It will be like Crosby drafted 1st, Bobby Ryan 2nd.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Lol what? Mix of Getzlaf and MacKinnon? They are like completely different players.

Yes, hence the mix. He's an elite skater and puck carrier like MacKinnon with the patience, strength, vision, and reach of Getzlaf. What's to taboo about throwing together different types of players for a comparison?

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
:laugh: it's funny because you thought that was so smart.

McDavid played with '96 borns his entire life just like Eichel played with '95 borns his entire life. When he was 14 he was playing with '92 '93 and '94 borns.

Your "common sense" has failed you

Do you somehow think I don't know McDavid accelerated? It's irrelevant that he lost a year of bantams or whatever. You think that matters today? For the past three years he and Eichel have played at the top level of amateur hockey in their respective countries and their birthdays are only a couple months apart. They are the same age and they are at the same stage of their development. It's as simple as that.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Growing into a man's body generally does that.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

McDavid has been scoring at *double* RNH's draft year pace.

Junior scoring rates are not end all be all. Drouin outscored RNH too, and he got sent back to junior. I expect CMD to be a good amount better than RNH, but a good amount worse than Crosby. If Crosby is a 9.5 and RNH an 8.5 I see McDavid at 8.8-8.9.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad