Status
Not open for further replies.

QMJHLfollower

Heart and soul
Jul 24, 2010
The stats so far

McDavid 1 g 3 a 4 pts +2 sh% .071

Eichel 1 g 2 a 3pts -2 sh% .059

For the guys saying Eichel playing against college men gives him a huge advantage...wheres his domination against these smaller immature juniors? Not so easy is it?

Pretty even if you ask me.

I don't think anyone expected him to dominate the best players in his age group in the world. For those of us who have actually watched the games, though, he's been very good and, at times, clearly the best player on the ice.

This.

Stats doesn't tell a whole lot. If you watched the games, you can clearly see how dominant he is and how he was most of the time the best player on the ice.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Eichel looks like Ryan Getzlaf out there. Big guy who is strong on the puck, great vision and passing skills, and who possesses a hard shot.

I'm trying to figure out who McDavid reminds me of. IMO, Crosby is more of a board player/physical battler than McDavid is at this point, his game relying more on power and puck protection than McDavid's does. So I don't think their styles are that similar.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Eichel has looked like a much more physically dominant player. McDavid has struggled a bit more along the boards.

Both guys' speed is evident, but with the lack of space in a game like yesterday really seemed to favor Eichel. Not sure if that will be more like NHL play. But for the first time, I'm really beginning to question McDavid as #1. Its a coin flip at this point.

Nibbler

May 24, 2011
Ambassador to Earth
Eichel looks like Ryan Getzlaf out there. Big guy who is strong on the puck, great vision and passing skills, and who possesses a hard shot.

I'm trying to figure out who McDavid reminds me of. IMO, Crosby is more of a board player/physical battler than McDavid is at this point, his game relying more on power and puck protection than McDavid's does. So I don't think their styles are that similar.

A better Nathan MacKinnon

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Nice players. Really nice players.

but as a fan who had some glimmer of hope that someone may come along to challenge the likes of the top 5 players ever.

These guys aren't gonna do it. Not even close.

Really I guess that's hockey now days though.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
To me, the American offence runs through Eichel a lot more than the Canadian offence runs through McDavid so I've liked the way Eichel has handled it
McDavid seems to be putting too much pressure on himself and remember he's coming off missing 5 weeks of hockey...

Both COULD be generational players but neither has shown it yet...not close to the Crosby levels yet...

And it's still too close to call in terms of who is better...no one has separated themselves

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

To me, the American offence runs through Eichel a lot more than the Canadian offence runs through McDavid so I've liked the way Eichel has handled it
McDavid seems to be putting too much pressure on himself and remember he's coming off missing 5 weeks of hockey...

Both COULD be generational players but neither has shown it yet...not close to the Crosby levels yet...

And it's still too close to call in terms of who is better...no one has separated themselves

Good post.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

If Eichel goes first, good for him. Not sure why everyone cares so much. Do you really think Malkin cares that he went #2?

Last edited by a moderator:

Slick Willy*

Eichel will not go first.

McDavid is a lock. Edmonton. Book it.

In a way I am glad that the Yank will not be thrown into that fiasco.

Wouldn't mind seeing Eichel in Carolina on a line with Jeff Skinner. They would be sick together.

Draw Me a McElephant

Mar 9, 2011
Eichel looks like Getzlaf with a bit of Hall's explosive skating mixed in. I think he could play in the NHL right now and not look out of place as he is pretty physically developed already.

McDavid on the other hand has an incredible skillset and the highest potential of any prospect since Crosby, but he has a lot of work to do in order to be able to handle the physical side of things at the pro level. Unlike Crosby, McDavid does not seem particularly good at grinding in the corners and protecting the puck. He gets pushed off the puck rather easily by bigger stronger players and will have to get a lot stronger before he dominates against men. He is only 17 and has a good size frame so there is a lot of room for improvement in that area.

Slick Willy*

Anyone notice that eichels stick is extremely long.
]
It's not even the longest on the team. Two others have longer sticks if you can believe it. Collins and someone else.

Eichel has to add 3 inches to his stick - on top of what it comes with out of the factory.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Eichel has looked like a much more physically dominant player. McDavid has struggled a bit more along the boards.

Both guys' speed is evident, but with the lack of space in a game like yesterday really seemed to favor Eichel. Not sure if that will be more like NHL play. But for the first time, I'm really beginning to question McDavid as #1. Its a coin flip at this point.

McDavid will add physical strength and be more solid on his skates as he goes (scary thought) He will also gain confidence. He will be one incredibly dynamic player (as will Eichel). Remember they will be picked for their projected abilities not their abilities now.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Eichel looks like Getzlaf with a bit of Hall's explosive skating mixed in. I think he could play in the NHL right now and not look out of place as he is pretty physically developed already.

McDavid on the other hand has an incredible skillset and the highest potential of any prospect since Crosby, but he has a lot of work to do in order to be able to handle the physical side of things at the pro level. Unlike Crosby, McDavid does not seem particularly good at grinding in the corners and protecting the puck. He gets pushed off the puck rather easily by bigger stronger players and will have to get a lot stronger before he dominates against men. He is only 17 and has a good size frame so there is a lot of room for improvement in that area.

Who wants him grinding in the corners. He does protect the puck very well now. I agree with you. He will get bigger and stronger, both physically and on his skates.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008

For me, I think McDavid is like a slightly bigger and faster Giroux. The shiftiness along the boards and the patience with his dangles - he waits for the defender to move first. Agree with the Eichel - Getzlaf comparison (not same level of physicality though).

Really hoping the Oil continue the suckage and we're guaranteed one of them.

TNCHL

Yeet
Aug 3, 2014
Toronto
]
It's not even the longest on the team. Two others have longer sticks if you can believe it. Collins and someone else.

Eichel has to add 3 inches to his stick - on top of what it comes with out of the factory.

Ya it looks really weird on the ice

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
McDavid is finally coming into his own after a 5 week layoff, he had a very good 3rd period, being Canada's most dangerous forward.
Eichel, while perhaps not dominating like expected (college hockey fans always overrate the "playing against men" thing), is still having a fine tournament. I expect that by the end of it he will be among the top scorers in the tourney.

Not many people here have ever said that Eichel is a generational talent, just that he may be among the best draft eligible forwards since Stamkos. No question in my mind that he would have been the no. 1 over all pick in the 10-14 entry drafts.
I'll still hang my hat on McDavid being a top echelon player worthy of the term "generational".

Crosby had 6 goals 3 assists in the WJ and they won gold. How is that not dominant?

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Crosby had 6 goals 3 assists in the WJ and they won gold. How is that not dominant?

Excuses for McDavid.

Neither of these guys are dominating. This probably has to do with the fact that approximated zero underagers besides Crosby dominate.

Eichel looks like he's trying to force plays too much and McDavid seems like an auxiliary player who will make a nice play every once in a while and then you won't see him for a while. Both of these guys need maturing.

Hanifin has had the best tournament of any underager IMO.

projexns

Matchups Matter
Mar 5, 2002
Forsling, OK
Visit site

That was the most dominant Canadian team ever because of the NHL lockout. The Gold Medal game against Russia was 6-1 halfway thru the 2nd period when Canada took it's foot off the gas pedal.

Bergeron and Getzlaf were the top two scorers in the tournament, Bergy at 5-8-13 for his six games, Getzlaf at 3-9-12. The next highest scoring Canadian was Jeff Carter at 7-3-10, then Crosby. Sid's nine points in the tournament tied him with Drew Stafford, one point ahead of the likes of Peter Vrana of the Czech Republic and Johannes Salmonsson of Sweden.

Craig Button opined that the most difficult thing for McDavid after missing six weeks was that he wasn't returning to the OHL but rather a much higher level of hockey to re-acclimate himself.

Folks shouldn't under-estimate McDavid based on this tournament. He's a prodigious point-producer.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I think Eichel's weak WJC performance solidifies this argument. He played selfishly and turned the puck over far too much. He doesn't have a shot at #1.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I think Eichel's weak WJC performance solidifies this argument. He played selfishly and turned the puck over far too much. He doesn't have a shot at #1.

I think he had a pretty good tournament (better than McDavid going into today) but he was absolutely abysmal in the third period of the Russia game. Selfish, stupid hockey, and Russia had no problem shutting him down.

Evolu7ion

#firelindenning
Sep 20, 2010
Victoria, BC
McDavid has that ability to make players around him better, and has a sense of how and when to attack with the ability to adapt to solve a stingy defensive system from the opposition. These are abilities Eichel simply did not display when it mattered, not saying they aren't there but if they are I certainly cannot see them.

There's an old saying that you don't really know someone until the road gets rocky. For Eichel when the road got rocky he resorted back to forcing plays on his own and not involving teammates. In time I'm sure that area of his game will improve, but it doesn't come as naturally to him as it does for McDavid.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad