Connor McDavid vs Jack Eichel

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
Sample size? It's not like Eichel has all of a sudden looked great. This is the ONLY sample we get to see them playing the same competition this year.

And coming of injury does mean something, but it doesn't change how much more physically dominating Eichel looks compared to his peers.

Of course, but he has 'all of the sudden' looked better than McDavid. Do you think that I would give a player I didn't believe had the potential to be great a 9.0C rating?

It does change things, McDavid's two biggest strengths are his intelligence and his hands. If you take one away, it's obviously going to worsen his play. Your comment also raises the question, is Eichel dominating because he's physically stronger or because he actually is that much better than his peers. Physical domination can be seen as a negative when projecting a player.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Don't even bother. The guy you're quoting will always turn it into a Canadian superiority thing.

find me a quote were I said anything about Canadian Superiority, or used any biased towards Canadians or anything biased in regards to Canadians.

Kind Regards.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Your comment also raises the question, is Eichel dominating because he's physically stronger or because he actually is that much better than his peers. Physical domination can be seen as a negative when projecting a player.

Physical dominance might be a negative for low IQ players who simply succeeded by being bigger than their peers, but that's not something I would worry about with Eichel. It should be pretty evident he has a high hockey IQ to go along with some incredible physical tools. No one should come away from watching him thinking that he merely succeeded by overpowering his opponents.

I do think McDavid thinks the game a little faster, but Eichel is pretty clearly in the upper echelon of prospects in that regard.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
I don't put too much stock into short tournaments. Remember when MPS was named to the all-star team at the world championships? Just cleared waivers.

I think Eichel will end up being a franchise player while McDavid will end up better than that. Sort of like Getzlaf versus Crosby.
You shouldn't simply take Eichel because he's more athletic.

KnoccOut

Dec 23, 2008
Toronto
McDavid is more like the highlight reel guy while Eichel from what I seen is more the simple creater..

Can't say who's better ive seen more of McDavid so I dont wanna pre judge... also one tournament is not enough to pick who's better.

To the guy who said McDavids game will translate better because Eichel seems cocky? First question how is he more cocky? And second wtf does that have to do with anything?

Also I dont either will be om Crosby's level.. and I really really really hope no one ends up on the Oilers... **** the Oilers

Beaunett

Dec 29, 2014
North
I believe neither will reach Crosby's statistics in the new NHL although both can be as significant to their teams.

6 Karlsson 5

Aug 9, 2012
I watch Eichel and I think he might just have a good tie against McDavid but then I see what McDavid has done over the course of his career, I'm not going to say anything about the World Juniors yet but the U18s, U17s, OHL career and he's just the best wherever he goes it seems. To me, it's like McDavid can do anything he wants out there and he's 6'1 so he doesn't get bullied around, I noticed some Fins try to play hard against him but he hardly felt it.

McDavid just seems more skilled to be honest and smarter, like it's close but I think I can pretty much say that with a good amount of reason to believe so that McDavid is the better player right now and I can't see how 6 months will change that.

really? i thought he got knocked off the puck rather easily

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Of course, but he has 'all of the sudden' looked better than McDavid. Do you think that I would give a player I didn't believe had the potential to be great a 9.0C rating?

It does change things, McDavid's two biggest strengths are his intelligence and his hands. If you take one away, it's obviously going to worsen his play. Your comment also raises the question, is Eichel dominating because he's physically stronger or because he actually is that much better than his peers. Physical domination can be seen as a negative when projecting a player.

Eichel just turned 18 and is playing against men up to the age of
25. He is dominating that level, skill wise, and the physicality doesnt seem to be a problem. Eichels game will translate much better to the NHL. As of right now id take Eichel, but speaking from a potential standpoint, you just see so much from Mcdavid. But will mcdavid fulfill his expecations? Its truly a hard pick. Id rather have the #2 pick

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
WOW, Eichel is the ugliest kid I have ever see, especially with the horrible facial hair. He looks like European royalty. McDavid gets the edge.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Don't criticize the way they look, guys - heck, even I wouldn't do that and I am better looking than all of us :sarcasm:. They're just kids and on the off chance they or their families see this thread, let's not go there.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
The stats so far

McDavid 1 g 3 a 4 pts +2 sh% .071

Eichel 1 g 2 a 3pts -2 sh% .059

For the guys saying Eichel playing against college men gives him a huge advantage...wheres his domination against these smaller immature juniors? Not so easy is it?

Pretty even if you ask me.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Eichel is built like a rock. Morin crosschecked him and the kid didn't even budge.

I think when coming into the NHL all players go through a physical learning curve as their bodies adjust to the nhl. I think Eichel is there physically while Mcdavid may take some getting use to.

i wouldn't be surprised if Eichel has a better start to his career than McDavid.

Shawarma*

The stats so far

McDavid 1 g 3 a 4 pts +2 sh% .071

Eichel 1 g 2 a 3pts -2 sh% .059

For the guys saying Eichel playing against college men gives him a huge advantage...wheres his domination against these smaller immature juniors? Not so easy is it?

Pretty even if you ask me.

I don't think anyone expected him to dominate the best players in his age group in the world. For those of us who have actually watched the games, though, he's been very good and, at times, clearly the best player on the ice.

As many posters have said, I don't think either of these guys will be generation talents but they will certainly be good.

Slick Willy*

I don't see them as "generational" like so many here. From what I've seen, at least (not yet)

Then again they're only TEENS. Crosby didn't even dominate the WJ, and there are a lot of NHLers today who did not dominate or weren't even in the tournament.

The thing is, these guys' will not even fully develop for possibly years. It's way too premature to say they will be one thing or the other, IMO.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
McDavid is finally coming into his own after a 5 week layoff, he had a very good 3rd period, being Canada's most dangerous forward.
Eichel, while perhaps not dominating like expected (college hockey fans always overrate the "playing against men" thing), is still having a fine tournament. I expect that by the end of it he will be among the top scorers in the tourney.

Not many people here have ever said that Eichel is a generational talent, just that he may be among the best draft eligible forwards since Stamkos. No question in my mind that he would have been the no. 1 over all pick in the 10-14 entry drafts.
I'll still hang my hat on McDavid being a top echelon player worthy of the term "generational".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad