Confidence in the Front Office

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
As long as people like Gorton, every good decision was made by Gorton, and every bad decision was made by Sather including the 100% home run decisions that Gorton begged for yet Sather denied because AV likes Glass.

If, however, people end up not liking Gorton, then Sather had all the right ideas, but Gorton was so forceful that Slats had his hands tied to that megolaniac, and we will need to bring back Sather as well as a coach who held people accountable like Tortorella before we flopped.

Fire Renney!

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
The GortMan has done a very good job this offseason. No dumb signings, nice deals on all RFAs, and a very nice trade.

If he can somehow ship out Nash or Girardi before the season starts for a decent return (More for Nash than Girardi), then I would give him an A+ for the offseason. Right now, he's at a B+ close to A-

I bashed him A LOT over his deadline moves (and lack of), but I give credit where it's due.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
And bigger and faster and less expensive. All for about a 9 point difference.

Yeah, I`ve feeling it was a robbery by NY, but I think the 2nd pick was part of Brassard salary.. Maybe I`m wrong about that.. :)
I doubt that Brassard was expecting that trade after his last interview, but I like the move after I`ve thought about
the possibilities of Mika who is only 23.

Last edited:

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
As long as its more Gorton and less sather (preferably zero
Sather) Im Very confident but who knows what goes on behind the scenes. So far this offseason with no monster contracts being given out it seems like Gorton is in charge. If he can remain patient and hope that staal and Nash have terrific seasons then try to unload them before trade deadline it would be A+++ continuation of the 2016 offseason

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
As long as its more Gorton and less sather (preferably zero
Sather) Im Very confident but who knows what goes on behind the scenes. So far this offseason with no monster contracts being given out it seems like Gorton is in charge. If he can remain patient and hope that staal and Nash have terrific seasons then try to unload them before trade deadline it would be A+++ continuation of the 2016 offseason

They don't really have the cap room to give out monster contracts.

yrrebbor

Jan 21, 2014
New York, NY
I'm still not sure we have a chance at much this coming season unless we make serious trades to bolster our defense. Girardi and Staal are not going to win us the cup. :(

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
This is a good thread.

IMO the front office has done more wrong than right over the past couple of years. Which hurts (more than usual), because we were so close. And it's worrisome, because many of the moves imply that our management doesn't evaluate talent right.

This off-season seems OK so far, though. Hopefully the FO goes on a winning streak. C'mon guys!! We can't have Girardi and Glass on the roster in October. Can't have it.

Make it happen! [Snaps fingers.]

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
It's just a little frustrating to me that we heard the front office mention this being the last run for the present core and so far they haven't changed much.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I suspect Gorton has less of a 'win now' mentality than Sather did. Glen desperately wanted one more Cup on his resume. So far Gorton seems to be taking a more balanced view.

Of course, we'll have to see how that resonates with ownership.

One thing I would be interested in knowing is what the Rangers analytical capability is and how they are addressing advanced statistics. I'm not a big believer but I' m not oblivious to their value. I have t seen or heard much on what our capabilities are and who is doing them.

Last edited:

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
When you consider unsigned players, Rangers appear to have as much or more cap room available as any serious top tier team. I suspect Gorton is being patient waiting for the right place to empty the cookie jar. I can't imagine the Rangers going into the season $4MM under the cap..

Last edited:

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
When you consider unsigned players, Rangers appear to have as much or more cap room available as any serious top tier team. I suspect Gorton is being patient waiting for the right place to empty the cookie jar. I can't imaagine the Rangers going into the season $4MM under the cap..

Waiting until he sees where Vesey (who will get the full $3+MM, counting bonuses, max entry level deal), goes.

Liking the patience either way.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Not that big an issue because any payoff on bonuses can be deferred.

I understand that, but you've got to pay them this year or next, so it's not like it vanishes. And with the cap not likely to go up by much, so much of the roster now signed to multi year deals, and with at least 4 (more if guys like Jooris, Paliotta, etc. surprise) RFAs to sign next year, including Zibby, I would be inclined to take them this year while you've got the room. Then, if something else comes along, sure, you can always push them to next year if need be.

Anyway, they definitely have options with the room and the contract slots. I like being in this position.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
The only reason we have cap space is because we have so many tweeners on this team... yes there's big contracts, yes there are bad ones... but we have so many 3/4 liners and 5, 6, 7 defensemen.

It's the lack of quality taking up the big money that really hurts (Hank aside obviously).

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
Definitely have more confidence in Gorton now than I did a few months ago. Though you have to place the full blame on him as it's his job and ultimately his call, gotta wonder if any external pressures impacted the Eric Staal acquisition...

Pretty much every move this offseason looks good. Most were minor sure, but I like them all to an extent. The Brass-Ziba trade is what gives me the most confidence though. Only moves that signals the direction which Jeff wants to take us in, and it's the right one.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Definitely have more confidence in Gorton now than I did a few months ago. Though you have to place the full blame on him as it's his job and ultimately his call, gotta wonder if any external pressures impacted the Eric Staal acquisition...

Pretty much every move this offseason looks good. Most were minor sure, but I like them all to an extent. The Brass-Ziba trade is what gives me the most confidence though. Only moves that signals the direction which Jeff wants to take us in, and it's the right one.

again, the staal trade was terrible in retrospect, but id wager the vast majority of this forum either agreed with the trade or understood why they made that trade, even if they wouldnt have done it themselves (thats what boat i was in).

id say ultimately a GM whose team was in the playoff race AND whose team had been to the ECF or better in 3 of the last 4 years would make that trade 9 out of 10 times...even if us fans wouldnt.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
again, the staal trade was terrible in retrospect, but id wager the vast majority of this forum either agreed with the trade or understood why they made that trade, even if they wouldnt have done it themselves (thats what boat i was in).

id say ultimately a GM whose team was in the playoff race AND whose team had been to the ECF or better in 3 of the last 4 years would make that trade 9 out of 10 times...even if us fans wouldnt.

I agree. Will concede that I was pleased with the price at the time, which I'm embarrassed about in retrospect. Though not fully, I was duped by the team's past success as a reason for potential playoff success despite last year's team never once displaying that sort of capability.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I would disagree with that. Many people were not behind it. And understanding that the mantra was "Go for it" is different that emphasizing with reasoning.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
It's just a little frustrating to me that we heard the front office mention this being the last run for the present core and so far they haven't changed much.

Well for one, it's July. For two, they did just trade one of their top centers and core members of the team. For three, the real world isn't a video game where you just start throwing out some trade proposals and within minutes you can pick the best deal and make it.

Not making a (crappy) deal is just as important as making a deal

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
I think folks still have PTSD from Slats. Gorton hasn't done anything to establish himself yet. The exception is the Zib/Brass trade which if it was done it time for the poll, it would have been mentioned.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I think folks still have PTSD from Slats. Gorton hasn't done anything to establish himself yet. The exception is the Zib/Brass trade which if it was done it time for the poll, it would have been mentioned.

The staal trade gets lumped in there, and TBH, i think giving AV another chance despite his colossal epic fail this past year, to me, is a big fat negative.

but since that point, ive been VERY happy with what hes done and what he hasnt done.

literally the only move i dont agree with is letting Stalberg go...and you never know if Stalberg just flat out didnt want to play here anymore (who would playing with Glass every night).

orland

Jul 29, 2002
Weschester County, N
Visit site
One thing I would be interested in knowing is what the Rangers analytical capability is and how they are addressing advanced statistics. I'm not a big believer but I' m not oblivious to their value. I have t seen or heard much on what our capabilities are and who is doing them.

A few years ago someone rated the NHL teams in advanced analytics and the Rangers were dead last. Sather and AV were/are very old school - "eye test" and all that BS. That's what lead to the Staal, Girardi contracts and trading Strahlman. AV is probably hopeless but it appears Gorton may be catching up. At least I hope so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad