Confidence in the Front Office

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Lots of good moves to discuss this offseason but my personal favorites are the Jooris and Pirri signings, and the Holden trade. Especially the Jooris one. Total moneypuck signings with lots of red flags to the untrained eye. Not one questionable signing or trade. I wonder if things actually will be different under Gorton. He's got me listening, that's for sure.

Huh. Really? I haven't checked his shot metrics but his "gaffs with the puck on his stick" reel rivals Girardi's.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
Getting no better mins on average than Kevin Hayes, Brandon Pirri had a goals per game pace that equaled out to 22, 36, and 18 goals respectively the past three years, with not that of a sample size either. He's already a more established goal scorer than Chris Kreider, and Kreids plays more mins.

Rob Vollman suggested last week that teams who missed out on Vesey should look into signing Pirri. Guess the Rangers ignored the whole "missed out on Vesey" part because we basically have a player who is a good bet to out-produce Vesey, marginally more expensive, and only one year older, on a one year deal. This is an excellent pickup, and Pirri gives us the breathing room to trade one of our Top 6 forwards for a RD.

Honestly, forget the notion of trading Staal or Girardi. If this team moves one of our Top 6 out for that impact RD to pair with McD, Pairs Skjei with Klein, and Staal with McIlrath, with G as the 7th D, this team can contend. Thing is, I highly, highly doubt Girardi will be a 7th D who plays 25 games with sheltered mins. More likely he still plays 20 mins per game, for 68-75 games or more. That is the real Girardi conundrum. If you can survive a bad cap hit, players like Girardi can be severely minimized. But management seems not to be willing to do that.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Getting no better mins on average than Kevin Hayes, Brandon Pirri had a goals per game pace that equaled out to 22, 36, and 18 goals respectively the past three years, with not that of a sample size either. He's already a more established goal scorer than Chris Kreider, and Kreids plays more mins.

Rob Vollman suggested last week that teams who missed out on Vesey should look into signing Pirri. Guess the Rangers ignored the whole "missed out on Vesey" part because we basically have a player who is a good bet to out-produce Vesey, marginally more expensive, and only one year older, on a one year deal. This is an excellent pickup, and Pirri gives us the breathing room to trade one of our Top 6 forwards for a RD.

Honestly, forget the notion of trading Staal or Girardi. If this team moves one of our Top 6 out for that impact RD to pair with McD, Pairs Skjei with Klein, and Staal with McIlrath, with G as the 7th D, this team can contend. Thing is, I highly, highly doubt Girardi will be a 7th D who plays 25 games with sheltered mins. More likely he still plays 20 mins per game, for 68-75 games or more. That is the real Girardi conundrum. If you can survive a bad cap hit, players like Girardi can be severely minimized. But management seems not to be willing to do that.

Yeah, there is no proof of that yet. I think the FO understands that Girardi is no longer a top paring defenseman. He hasn't been for about 2 seasons, that's not going to magically change after the injury crippling season he just had.

If the injuries start piling up, Girardi could very well end up on LTIR. If he can't physically play hockey without chronic pain in places where there shouldn't be pain, or if his knee decides to blow out again, or if he gets one more concussion, any of those are enough of a reason to have him on LTIR, which in turn frees us of that contract, only losing the ability to bank cap space, but then again, we'd still be able to spend $5M~ over the cap anyways with LTIR if utilized properly.

Staal can easily be traded, though there's a much larger chance of him bouncing back.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Idealy

i would like to see McD--Shattenkirk
Staal---Klein
Skiej--Girardi

mcilrath/holden

Best case Girardi can be moved for something any where. but i don't see it. I know it is a lot of cas/cap space on the back end but for 2-3 years with guys not needing significant raises on offense (besides Zibby) i think NYR should role with that it they can somehow swing a shatty nash trade. The offense will be young, hungry, and a lot of fun to watch. I also believe after staal and G bounce back this year, they will be easier to move with less years and better performances. This team is dying for a defense man that can move the puck. With shatty if staal could move i can see

McD- Shatty
Skiej- Klein
Holden- G/McI

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
And who would replace him? Please don't say "Messier"

I don't have a replacement, that's the GM's job. What I do know is that AV has stopped making adjustments and progressing in his coaching abilities. He's not going to change, and we've seen his ceiling. There's pretty much zero chance he'll be the coach of the next championship team

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
I'm extremely impressed with the job gorton has done this off season.

the brass/mika deal was money. younger, bigger, more physical is exactly what jeff said he wanted. he got it.

the theft of jimmy vesey from the rest of the league shows how you leverage relationships and opportunity in this league. excellent work by gorton, drury and the rest of the brass in getting this high end prospect to come here.

the signing of nick holden who's a durable minutes eater and a reliable and mobile defensive guy was savy and an under the radar deal. he's an underrated skater for such a big guy and improves our otherwise lead footed defense.

the signings of grabner, jooris and gerbe were calculated, focused and value based. these 3 really can skate, play defense and improve the pk. all 3 are excellent skaters who add speed and pressure to the bottom 6.

lastly the pirri signing is one of those no brainer moves that may well be this seasons hidden gem. this kid is talented and can put up points. he's just another weapon in the arsenal and adds both depth and some firepower. for 1.1 mil, its a steal of a deal if her scores goals. he's not the solid 2 way player that miller, kreider or nash are, but he's got better hands and the shooter mentality that this team lacks.

these low cost, high upside moves by gorton have made for a great offseason imo.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Honestly, the Pirri signing has hit my confidence in the front office a little bit, but I'm willing to hold off judgment until the season starts.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I don't have a replacement, that's the GM's job. What I do know is that AV has stopped making adjustments and progressing in his coaching abilities. He's not going to change, and we've seen his ceiling. There's pretty much zero chance he'll be the coach of the next championship team

I usually agree with you GG, but I have a few thoughts on this:

1) Two years ago the Rangers started slow and looked awful. AV had faith in his system and his team and between him and the coaching staff the team was resolute and stuck to his beliefs. His steadfast manner was lauded for being consistent, never panicking, trusting his vision and his players' ability to play that way. And it worked. Last year he did the same thing and now he's viewed as a liability.

2) We've seen his ceiling? He's made it to the SCF final. Is his ceiling really two or three game too low?

3) With this team's history, saying there's zero chance that he'll be the coach of the next championship team really is not a knock on him. Not a lot of SC winning coaches in this team's history.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Honestly, the Pirri signing has hit my confidence in the front office a little bit, but I'm willing to hold off judgment until the season starts.

2 things.

all upside for 1.1 mil. really no downside unless he steals minutes from a kid like vesey or buch.

and, he's different. where many of the new forwards are all small and fast defensive types, this kid can play up to the top 6, can play the power play and can perhaps add goals that this team couldn't score last season.

he's a shooter and a talented player and for 1 mil, i say a shot worth taking

especially if we are moving someone from last season...... :naughty:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
2 things.

all upside for 1.1 mil. really no downside unless he steals minutes from a kid like vesey or buch.

and, he's different. where many of the new forwards are all small and fast defensive types, this kid can play up to the top 6, can play the power play and can perhaps add goals that this team couldn't score last season.

he's a shooter and a talented player and for 1 mil, i say a shot worth taking

especially if we are moving someone from last season...... :naughty:

Yeah, the hit has nothing to do with the player Pirri is. In a vacuum, it's a great signing.

Bringing in too many players can cause its own set of issues. That's why I'm waiting to see whether or not there are other moves. I don't really approve of the Pirri signing unless someone gets moved out.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Yeah, the hit has nothing to do with the player Pirri is. In a vacuum, it's a great signing.

Bringing in too many players can cause its own set of issues. That's why I'm waiting to see whether or not there are other moves. I don't really approve of the Pirri signing unless someone gets moved out.

given the long time love affair we supposedly had with him last few seasons, I'm not surprised he's here. he's a quality 20 goal scorer who was available in the clearance isle.

the cats moved him to the ducks last season for a 6th. seemed dumb but he was arb eligible and they have quality young forwards.

i see this as a move to address offense and goal scoring and a hedge that there may be either a move coming or that one of the young guys isn't ready.

i see no downside.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

Not really worried about the logjam at forward, either someone is getting traded or it's a lot of depth. I think it's a trade myself

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
I usually agree with you GG, but I have a few thoughts on this:

1) Two years ago the Rangers started slow and looked awful. AV had faith in his system and his team and between him and the coaching staff the team was resolute and stuck to his beliefs. His steadfast manner was lauded for being consistent, never panicking, trusting his vision and his players' ability to play that way. And it worked. Last year he did the same thing and now he's viewed as a liability.

2) We've seen his ceiling? He's made it to the SCF final. Is his ceiling really two or three game too low?

3) With this team's history, saying there's zero chance that he'll be the coach of the next championship team really is not a knock on him. Not a lot of SC winning coaches in this team's history.

I used to love AV, but I've seen enough of him now to know his limitations and they are serious. He plays favorites with the vets at the expense of the team and likes to put some guys in the doghouse for no apparent reason. When Tortorella's (who I liked much much less) coaching on defense wore off on the guys that were still here, he had no answer except to just take advantage of Hank to stand on his head every single night.

His coaching on D and pairing choices are infuriating, especially on protecting leads late in playoff games where opponents don't play the same as in the regular season. He refuses to make those critical adjustments in the post season where it matters most. I'm over being regular season champions of the world, it's meaningless. His steady no change coaching philosophy is good for the regular season only and isn't sufficient in the playoffs which is fatal when he refuses to adjust. He's a presidents trophy coach and not much else. I'd rather squeak in as the 8th seed and make a run to the cup than being first seed and not accomplishing anything.

Last edited:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Most coaches in the NHL play favorites and favor veteran players. You'll be hard pressed to escape from that by switching coaches

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
no doubt, just wish he'd give more responsibility to guys like Mcilrath and take out serious liabilities like Girardi and Boyle

yeah, or do things like keep lines/pairings that worked well together and not separate them for literally no reason.

one thing i *thought* i knew about AV was the he liked to keep lines together for a long period of time...particularly when they are firing on all cylinders...the Pouliot, Brassard, Zucc line for example.

but 2 times this year we had something great going with McIlrath & Yandle, and with Staal, Staalberg, and Lindberg...that he broke apart for no reason, and then never put them back together.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
Can't lay all the blame for the bad puck possession and D on AV. After all, it was our GM at the time who decided to let Anton freaking Stralman walk out the door for pennies, so we could sign the esteemed Dan Boyle. If that didn't happen, we might, might be talking about a Rangers squad who at the very least went to two straight SC Finals. AV has had one bad season, and we still managed 100+ pts in the standings. I think he has flaws, but is also believe he can take this team all the way with the right roster.

Whitehawk1186

Mar 12, 2015
New Haven, CT
Can't lay all the blame for the bad puck possession and D on AV. After all, it was our GM at the time who decided to let Anton freaking Stralman walk out the door for pennies, so we could sign the esteemed Dan Boyle. If that didn't happen, we might, might be talking about a Rangers squad who at the very least went to two straight SC Finals. AV has had one bad season, and we still managed 100+ pts in the standings. I think he has flaws, but is also believe he can take this team all the way with the right roster.

This was hands down in my opinion the dumbest thing Sather did during this recent era. Had we had Stralman these past two years, we may well have won the Cup in 2015.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
This was hands down in my opinion the dumbest thing Sather did during this recent era. Had we had Stralman these past two years, we may well have won the Cup in 2015.

If we're talking recent era definitely it's right up there. The Girardi & Staal contracts are pretty bad too. But replacing Stralman with Boyle was a disaster. Lost a high value guy and gained a big liability, double pain

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad