Confidence in the Front Office

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
All the more reason I maintain that he didn't have full control over the team until this off season.

He has done an outstanding job.
Agreed, but there's no way we'll ever know for certain.

Ugh. Gorton asleep at the wheel while Gorton rebuilds the team with more young players.

Wait... what? :laugh:

On a more serious note, I am loving this offseason more than any since... jeez, I don't know when. And the crazy thing is, it can get better. Gorton's first true season in control has been brilliant - so far. Keep it up!

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
5x1v9ffg5mgx.jpg

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Agreed. And Gorton is already having a really good offseason. One of the better ones in recent years.

Without Vesey, he was doing a bang up job compared to the prior 2 offseasons, which were quite frankly, south of awful.

If Gorton can overhaul the Rangers professional scouting side, I think my confidence would be somewhat restored in managements ability to build a sustainable roster. Lets face it, a lot of their trouble has been the result of bad advice with players that are already professional. I am not going to list them because it's been discussed ad-nauseum.

Gorton needs to complete an entire organizations roster (Rangers --> Hartford --> JR's --->College-->International leagues, not really in any particular order after Hartford) with young players constantly rotated into the mix on a year by year basis. That's the only way to build sustainable success in the cap era. Of course along the way he can make a move here or there that would bring a vet in or a missing piece, like a PMD.

I think he 's had a great start in this offseason, he's brought the Rangers further in the last 2 months than they have in the last 2 years.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Better be a helluva RH PMD. Not a fan whatsoever of getting rid of Klein.

I'm not, either. I would only move him if a big upgrade at defense was coming back or the value was just TOO good to pass up.

At the moment, I'd say Klein is our only proven, legitimately good defenseman after McD.

EDIT: Forgot Holden, who I like and I think was WAY over utilized by Roy, but where's he going to play? Ideally we'd move Staal and have McD-Holden-Skjei down the left, which is solid, but with Staal in things become complicated. We SHOULD have Holden in the lineup for sure, but it's tough to justify sitting Staal outright because of A) his salary and B) he's not THAT bad, unlike Girardi, he's still NHL-caliber.

Last edited:

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
I'm not, either. I would only move him if a big upgrade at defense was coming back or the value was just TOO good to pass up.

At the moment, I'd say Klein is our only proven, legitimately good defenseman after McD.

EDIT: Forgot Holden, who I like and I think was WAY over utilized by Roy, but where's he going to play? Ideally we'd move Staal and have McD-Holden-Skjei down the left, which is solid, but with Staal in things become complicated. We SHOULD have Holden in the lineup for sure, but it's tough to justify sitting Staal outright because of A) his salary and B) he's not THAT bad, unlike Girardi, he's still NHL-caliber.

If they don't move anyone, I really have to believe they're going to be utilizing 7 D on a game to game basis. Holden wasn't brought in to be a 7th D, I fully believe unless he has a disastrous camp Skjei is making it, and I can't see McIlrath sitting again especially since he has to meet the games played criteria to not become a UFA.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
If a Klein trade ends up similar to the Brassard deal, I'm not seeing a problem.

I think the Brassard for Zibinajad type swap is a lot more frequent at forward. What young, solid right defenseman is being dangled? Why would they be dangled? Its arguable the hardest position to fill on the ice.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Because Klein is this team's best RD by a country mile. Better be a big upgrade.

And Im not even mentioning how you just sort of threw Nash into the package.

Retooling isn't always about upgrading though. If you trade Klein for another RD, it's because that RD is a different kind of player. Probably more of a puckmover.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Retooling isn't always about upgrading though. If you trade Klein for another RD, it's because that RD is a different kind of player. Probably more of a puckmover.

No, it's because that RD is 6-8 years younger. If you weren't born in the 1990s, you shouldn't be moving to New York.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I would not trade Klein for a PMD. Klein already provides elite even strength production for a defenseman. The only reason he doesn't put up point totals like some other defenseman is because he's not used on the powerplay (whether or not he'd be good on it we have no idea since he's never put in that role). And Klein + Nash? Absolutely not. For the last 5 years Klein is 19th in points/60 among defenseman and 23rd in points. For the last 2 years he is 8th in points/60 and 21st in points.

I would trade him for someone similar or younger for sure but I wouldn't just trade him for an already established player with a contract just for the sake of getting a PMD. Chances are that new defenseman would actually provide less offense than Klein does. If you're talking someone like Tyson Barrie who is young and already has a long term contract at a reasonable rate sure but certainly not someone like Shattenkirk who is an upcoming UFA who will command a lot more money.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Wait... what? :laugh:

On a more serious note, I am loving this offseason more than any since... jeez, I don't know when. And the crazy thing is, it can get better. Gorton's first true season in control has been brilliant - so far. Keep it up!

Just poking fun at the people who insisted the off-season was a total failure as of July 1st. :laugh:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I would not trade Klein for a PMD. Klein already provides elite even strength production for a defenseman. The only reason he doesn't put up point totals like some other defenseman is because he's not used on the powerplay (whether or not he'd be good on it we have no idea since he's never put in that role). And Klein + Nash? Absolutely not. For the last 5 years Klein is 19th in points/60 among defenseman and 23rd in points. For the last 2 years he is 8th in points/60 and 21st in points.

I would trade him for someone similar or younger for sure but I wouldn't just trade him for an already established player with a contract just for the sake of getting a PMD. Chances are that new defenseman would actually provide less offense than Klein does. If you're talking someone like Tyson Barrie who is young and already has a long term contract at a reasonable rate sure but certainly not someone like Shattenkirk who is an upcoming UFA who will command a lot more money.

Yeah I actually like Klein in general and wouldn't trade him without a much younger and high upside guy coming back, but that's ultimately kind of the point...he's got a couple of years left on his contract and is 31. If you can move him in the next year or two for a young puck mover then you definitely have to think hard about the right deal. He's not really a guy I think the Rangers should be extending another contract to at the age of 33

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Yeah I actually like Klein in general and wouldn't trade him without a much younger and high upside guy coming back, but that's ultimately kind of the point...he's got a couple of years left on his contract and is 31. If you can move him in the next year or two for a young puck mover then you definitely have to think hard about the right deal. He's not really a guy I think the Rangers should be extending another contract to at the age of 33

He's also a risk to be plucked in the expansion draft. They shouldn't be moving him for someone like a Shattenkirk, but they should DEFINITELY be trying to move him for younger, higher upside guys and/or picks.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Gorton is moving one wonder twin away from hitting a grand slam this offseason.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Lots of good moves to discuss this offseason but my personal favorites are the Jooris and Pirri signings, and the Holden trade. Especially the Jooris one. Total moneypuck signings with lots of red flags to the untrained eye. Not one questionable signing or trade. I wonder if things actually will be different under Gorton. He's got me listening, that's for sure.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Lots of good moves to discuss this offseason but my personal favorites are the Jooris and Pirri signings, and the Holden trade. Especially the Jooris one. Total moneypuck signings with lots of red flags to the untrained eye. Not one questionable signing or trade. I wonder if things actually will be different under Gorton. He's got me listening, that's for sure.

what do you like about Pirri?

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
what do you like about Pirri?

Ranks top 40 amongst forwards in past 2 years in goal rates and shot rates. Decent possession stats while getting strange defensive usage while in Florida. Strong, volume shooter in all situations and doesn't need a lot of space to pull one off. I think he's an underutilized 2nd liner with some brutal flaws (most namely, his skating) but nothing that can't be sheltered off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad