Confidence in the Front Office

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
This team is not winning the Stanley Cup next year whether they got rid of Staal and/or Girardi or not IMO. It would have been nice to try and find a home for them and/or buy them out but it doesn't look like that's the case. So play out the year, let some of the kids develop (Skjei, Buch, Hayes, McIlrath, Miller) further and see where we are down the road.

Completely in agreement... I hope management is as well.

This season and possibly next season should be all about positioning ourselves to get competitive again and getting some youth into the system.

I guess the bargain bin shopping we have been doing is fine for me but we still need to find a way to get some prospects into the mix.

I hope Gorton isn't looking for ready-NOW players only... he won't get far doing that IMO.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I have little confidence. Not none, but little. I think Gorton is sooner to guide us to 1st overall without tanking than winning the Stanley Cup.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Yeah. Our front office is worse than the Buffalo Sabres, Toronto Maple Leafs, Carolina Hurricanes, and Columbus Bluejackets.

Also, our front office is only slightly less mismanaged than the Edmonton Oilers, a team who is complete **** after a half decade of top picks.

K...

That's a near accurate reflection of how absolutely awful management has been for a good 3 years straight now.

From potential cup winners to potential missed playoffs because of bad trades, bad FA management, bad pro scouting, neutering our top amateur scouts, bad contracts, bad roster utilization and spending to the cap. It's deserving of the bottom of the league these last 3 years

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I don't have much confidence in the front office (Gorton), till he proves it. As of now he hasnt done much to give me confidence. Took Sather awhile, but I had confidence in him after the Cap was placed.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I don't have much confidence in the front office (Gorton), till he proves it. As of now he hasnt done much to give me confidence. Took Sather awhile, but I had confidence in him after the Cap was placed.

I'm not sure what he really do. He took over a tough situation. As of now, the only deal I can really blame him for is the E Staal trade.

Sather got out at the right time.

Last edited:

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
I'm not sure what he really do. He took over a tough situation. As of now, the only deal I can really blame him for is the E Staal trade.

I don't like this underlying assumption that Gorton had nothing at all to do with getting into this mess. Wasn't it well covered that he mostly negotiated new contracts? I.E. the ones for Staal and Girardi?

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I don't like this underlying assumption that Gorton had nothing at all to do with getting into this mess. Wasn't it well covered that he mostly negotiated new contracts? I.E. the ones for Staal and Girardi?

If it was well covered, HFNYR and every other blogger out there that covers the Rangers wouldn't be arguing about it for months.

So, I guess it's not really well known what Gorton did and did not do while AGM.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Rangers traded Saarela and 2 seconds to Carolina for the husk of Eric Staal (even if you were confident about Staal, it was a questionable move for a team that was clearly trending down), and sat idly as Yandle's tenure was botched by AV. Front office doesn't deserve a lot of confidence right now.

This clearly was not gorton, it was slats acquiesing probably front office accommodating AV, to kick the can, that's my take. Gorton not only had hands tied, but had to follow the precedent Slats gave Torts --- instead of just friggin canning them, we have to (because of Dolan needing to be assured) give coach enough room with which to hang himself. Dolan, wake up, can AV, give Gorts full control.

The problem isn't that I have no faith in Gorton. It's just that his hands are tied with these contracts.

Cmon guys be realistic nobody is taking Girardi or Staal off our hands. They're horrendous players on horrendous contracts.

Nash on the other hand, his value isn't that high to others as it is to us if we're still trying to be a contender. For one not many playoff teams can fit him under their cap unless we retain. And even then he's worth more to us, more so than the futures and lesser pieces that we'd get in return for him anyway.

This team isn't good enough to win the Cup, but we're not bad enough to not be a playoff team. Certainly not bad enough to draft in the top 5 where all the franchise changing talent that we desperately need is.

You're not starting any rebuild until you trade Lundqvist. Between his cap hit and the goalie market (Dallas is probably the only team that doesn't have a legit goalie in net or in the pipeline), we wouldn't get anywhere near full value from him. And Dallas probably and rightfully so prefers Bishop if they're giving up a Nuke, Honka, Ritchie etc.

I'd feel a lot better about this team if AV was fired.

He had a pitiful year. Nearly every established player we have either had the worst year of their careers or regressed hard. Because he put everyone in a huge position to fail. And we had our worst playoff showing in a decade.

substantial agree, except that we should start now making improvements to the extent available, not wait for Hank to leave

If they bought out either Girardi/Stall or both, I would have had better confidence in them. They are just wasting time, being in denial of at least Girardi's abilities.

that is not reality. buyout would strangle cap for many years, providing little relief. It's not like we pay full pop, and even a penalty, and every cent is fully off the books.

Staal, gotta figure if there is/are a place he will go to, and then if we can make a deal which is not crippling to send him there. Bundle with a vet, probably ok, bundling w/young core (Kreider, Miller, etc.) no. Get rid of AV, get LD alternates so he gets the message if he stays he mostly sits. Then wait for injury or opportunity to make a deal feasible.

girardi, on paper he should waive, we can do now, to Detroit w/Raanta at half for Jimmy Howard. That is a win-win, and while DG becomes overpriced 3rd pair guy 8-12 mins per nite, he is at least useful for Detroit, who is moving on from Howard w/out a net. If Benoit Allaire can't work miracles, he can backup for year or 2, then move on.

I would have loved the speed of that team if we kept Marchant weight Amonte and Gartner. Wow

Agree w/you preferred these guys, Also, I'd love to have kept Norstrom.

The Rangers need to rebuild. The Yankees front office wants to rebuild while ownership wants to stay on the same course. Someone leaked the story. It was probably Cashman to put pressure on ownership to sell. The Rangers have too many issues. Bad contracts on D. The entire D needs to be rebuilt. That takes a lot work and patience. Lundqvist will be 35 in March. The organization needs as many young players and picks as possible. That takes time and patience. Some of their core pieces are getting older. Nash is 32. Both Brassard and Zuccarello will both be 29 in September. Both of them will be at the end of their contracts or their current contracts will have already expired by the time the Rangers are on the right path again. Girardi will be 33. Klein will be 32. Staal will be 30. Gorton and his staff have so much work to do with their franchise.

Agree on youth, deal Brass and Zuc to accelerate the process.

Overall we still do not really now if or when Gorton has/had full control or not.

Hagelin was traded on June 27th, Gorton named GM July 1st, did Sather really make that trade knowing in a couple days he was going to hand over the reins?

My feelings, last year was a transition year where Sather still held the overriding majority vote. I'm thinking/hoping it was his last kick at the can as well.

______

I also tend to put weight into what Nothing As It Seems posted above, however even under those mandates I think a GM can still also fulfill building a team to contend, while also marketing it just as well to the lesser ravenous fans.

The Blues for example, other than Tarasenko I'm not sure they have one really marketable player on that team, but they contend enough for there still to be a market. They did not go out of their way to acquire Tarasenko, they just took a relatively low risk by using one of their two 1st round picks on him that draft. Would a Tarasenko make the Rangers more marketable? If the Rangers had multiple 1st rounders in a draft could they get a player like that?

They'd have to trust the system put in place to identify that type of player, and then select them for most likely several drafts. Sometimes there is a Getzlaf and Perry available, or a Weber, or a ROR, sometimes not, increase the odds by having those picks. If they can get a Duclair, Dubinsky, Callahan, Fast, Lindberg, Stepan with non 1sts, and they can get a Kreider with a late first, Buch, Skjei, the goalies who are very good prospects, they have something going right for them in their draft and development program, just trust it more, give them more chances and eventually they likely have a marketable team that both contends and has that sort of get off your seat talent on it.

I dont see any similarities between the Rangers and Yankees.
At all.
In Slats we trust.

Do we really think Slats and his ego did not choose to run amuck? amock?

Gorton, w/help from Clark, IS the guy.
HE is the guy who makes good draft picks. Not AV.
WAKE UP DOLAN!
LISTEN TO BERNMEISTER!
you're gonna have to eventually, and ya know ya wanna:amazed::amazed::laugh::laugh::laugh::naughty::D

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
If it was well covered, HFNYR and every other blogger out there that covers the Rangers wouldn't be arguing about it for months.

So, I guess it's not really well known what Gorton did and did not do while AGM.

That is correct, the only thing we know is that Sather called the shots while he was GM and there aren't any specifics about what moves Gorton agreed/disagreed with:

Sather made all of the final calls within the operation — the vote could go 7-1 against, and the “one†would carry the day if cast by Sather — so there is little to go by on what to expect from Gorton, who inherits a team that seemingly could go either way, an organization that isn’t exactly flowing with NHL-ready prospects, and with extremely limited cap space in which to maneuver.

http://nypost.com/2015/07/01/what-glen-sather-brought-to-rangers-during-his-gm-tenure/

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
That's a near accurate reflection of how absolutely awful management has been for a good 3 years straight now.

Lol only on these boards can management be labeled 'absolutely awful' for a three year period where during those three years they went to a Stanley Cup Final and also came within one game of returning to a Stanley Cup final.

I didn't like everything our GM's did either but this is still pretty funny!

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Without knowing the landscape, I can't make an honest decision either way right now. I'm firmly in the "Slats was running the show until the very end" camp, and that there was an undertone of "win for Slats" this season.

However, based on the rumblings and rumors, it certainly sounds like Gorton tried to make some major changes around the draft. Getting up to the 4th overall pick likely means a core piece going out the door. Making a play for Stamkos means trading a top-six center. So there are certainly indications that he wants to overhaul the team.

It's hard to be encouraged by the lack of moves thus far, and the signings don't exactly scream "rebuild" to me, but what exactly is out there that I can say "Man, Gorton needs to be / should have been IN on that!!" Not much. I can't point to a deal that has gone down and say to myself, we could've made that trade and gotten better. There's no money for big name UFA's, and the pool was average at best this year. Fowler's name is floating around a lot, but he doesn't help us. Barrie could be a good fit as a #3, but he wants top-pairing money. Trouba wants a ton of money. Lindolm is a lefty and wants a ton of money. All that before you even consider what we'd have to trade.

That being said, I'm glad he hasn't made any trades just for the sake of making trades, and I'm glad he hasn't sold for pennies on the dollar.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
How many times have we seen teams playing up and down and a trade deadline deal revived them to a cup run. The Rangers were hoping to catch lighting in a bottle with the Staal trade. All the ingredients were there, they just didn't mix well.
What ingredients? A mediocre team trading assets it cannot afford to give away for a mediocre player?

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY

And not trading Yandle at the deadline.

Trading Yandle for a good young players/top prospect/1st rounder, and not trading 2 more seconds and one of our top 3 offensive prospects would have us in a much better position future-wise right now.

That one week of decisions, whatever reasons they may be, put us deeper in the hole.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Overall we still do not really now if or when Gorton has/had full control or not.
That is really what it comes down to. I have no confidence in Sather. I had hopes for Gorton. But then came the Staal trade. At the same time, I do like the subtle little moves he made this off season. And we all know that his hands are tied with contracts.

But then, whose decision was it to NOT trade Yandle at the deadline? Or put Nash out there? Those type of things reek of Sather, but we just do not know.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Sather plotted his exit well.

I also fault Gorton for the Staal deal. But who takes the fall for NOT making trades that could have recouped assets? Did Gorton decide to take the last kick in the can? Or did Sather not let him try to make deals?

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Sather plotted his exit well.

I also fault Gorton for the Staal deal. But who takes the fall for NOT making trades that could have recouped assets? Did Gorton decide to take the last kick in the can? Or did Sather not let him try to make deals?

I don't like this.

I feel people use that as their go to excuse for Gorton. We have no idea what input Sather has at all, IF ANY. The only fact we do have is that Gorton is the General Manager of the team and is in charge off all the transactions.

We haven't heard any speculation, from Brooks (who is the real only inside source we have), that Sather is still calling the shots. So assuming Sather is still doing so, is just baseless speculation. And honestly, doesn't even make sense. If Sather wanted to run the team still, then he would have continued as GM.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
And not trading Yandle at the deadline.

Trading Yandle for a good young players/top prospect/1st rounder, and not trading 2 more seconds and one of our top 3 offensive prospects would have us in a much better position future-wise right now.

That one week of decisions, whatever reasons they may be, put us deeper in the hole.

yep. id give Gorton an F- for his trade deadline moves/lack of moves/lack of foresight. But I think so far he gets a B- for this offseason. no bad contracts but no moves to get out from bad contracts...there is still time though.. I like the signings hes made A LOT...but like it or not, we are a substantially worse team this year than the one that just got massacred by the Pens.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
yep. id give Gorton an F- for his trade deadline moves/lack of moves/lack of foresight. But I think so far he gets a B- for this offseason. no bad contracts but no moves to get out from bad contracts...there is still time though.. I like the signings hes made A LOT...but like it or not, we are a substantially worse team this year than the one that just got massacred by the Pens.

Agreed with the offseason. I'm fairly happy with what has happened thus far. I will be even happier if we can make a good trade as well but I understand that isn't always so easy considering what other teams may, or may not be offering so I'm not going to fault him for that. Rather him not make a trade than make a brutal trade.

Halenger

Feb 8, 2003
Visit site
I think Gorton used the deadline to determine where this team is (come summer). He was proactive with trying to get the team that catalyst to put them over the top come playoffs, but Staal didn't cut it, and the team showed their true colors as no longer being cup contenders.

Without making the Staal trade, it would be assumed he would have traded Yandle to restock the cupboard... But instead of saying he was pulling the plug on the season, he wanted to be able to say he tried helping the team get to the next level... I was hoping the change of scenery for Staal would re-emerge him as the top player he was in the past... we all know how that panned out (though I am uncertain if Staal being invisible was his own fault (age, injury, etc.) or/and how AV used him... different discussion in itself).

Getting spanked by the Pens the way we did was an eye opener for Gorton I believe. I think he's done ok so far and don't fault him for getting Staal for two 2nd rounders while we were in the position we were in at the time (yes, we were not dominant against teams and lacked chemistry, but we were injured ALOT and still had a decent record). I do think the Hagelin trade was idiotic (at the time, I didn't know enough of Etem to form an opinion, but was trying to put trust in Gorton. After seeing EE play, I was disgusted we gave Hags away...).

Main thing is to get CK and Hayes re-signed. After that, I don't see the team changing much player wise... A lot is riding on hoping M. Staal and Girardi get back to form... I think it can be done... But throw in relying on Nash to have a breakout year, having to be the offense star this team needs him to be, and that's a lot of hoping...

I'm comfortable with Gorton at the helms (hoping Slats is out of majority of decisions), it's AV who's worrying me (and I really liked bringing him in)... He showed me this year he can not adapt styles of play... This of course, will be a reflection on Gorton and his decisions he must make going forward...

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don't like this.

I feel people use that as their go to excuse for Gorton. We have no idea what input Sather has at all, IF ANY. The only fact we do have is that Gorton is the General Manager of the team and is in charge off all the transactions.

We haven't heard any speculation, from Brooks (who is the real only inside source we have), that Sather is still calling the shots. So assuming Sather is still doing so, is just baseless speculation. And honestly, doesn't even make sense. If Sather wanted to run the team still, then he would have continued as GM.
That is all I have Fly, speculation. And btw, I am asking the question, not stating that this is I believe what is going on. It's just that the two items (Staal trade and NOT trading Yandle) smack so much of Sather.

I do not know that I buy "if Sather wanted to run the team" though. He is running the team. The question revolves around how much autonomy does Gorton have and just how much of an influence is Sather.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Without making the Staal trade, it would be assumed he would have traded Yandle to restock the cupboard... But instead of saying he was pulling the plug on the season, he wanted to be able to say he tried helping the team get to the next level... I was hoping the change of scenery for Staal would re-emerge him as the top player he was in the past... we all know how that panned out (though I am uncertain if Staal being invisible was his own fault (age, injury, etc.) or/and how AV used him... different discussion in itself).
I do no think that he would have waived the surrender flag by trading Yandle.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
It's too early for me to tell.

I think this team is in a different place than it was 12 months ago, so the expectations are different.

I don't think he's made an destiny changing moves this summer, but I do think he's made some solid, sublte moves.

What he does over the next 12 months will go a long way in deciding my opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad