Cogliano v Oshie

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
You know, I've heard people say that, then he gets 3g and 3a in his first two games in the postseason. I think people judging him on his WJC alone (where he was quite obviously snake-bitten), has led to this idea. He sure hasn't had a problem putting up points in the NCAA this year(41p, 20g).

Cogliano has great hands.

Those numbers aren't that different from Marchant's numbers as a 2nd year college player.

execwrite

May 4, 2002
Peekskill, NY
Visit site
The Sioux scored their fifth power-play goal of the game on an unbelievable play by Oshie, who picked up a rebound on the left side of the net and, from behind the goal line, banked a shot in off the back of Sauer's right pad at 8:03.

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
Cogs had a goal and Oshie had a hattrick in a 8-5 Sioux win

Oshie's hattrick might have been the weakest I've ever seen. Two terrible goals from the side of the net that should have never went in and an empty netter. Cogliano's goal wasn't much better though. It's a toss up in my opinion. Both are the same size and both are great skaters. I think it's to close to call.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Marchant's numbers in his 2nd year in college also weren't all that different from the numbers put up by Paul Stastny, Mike Cammalleri and Mike Comrie in their sophomore seasons.
Never look at offensive stats in college or juniors as a measuring stick of what to expect in the future.

Oshie's hattrick might have been the weakest I've ever seen. Two terrible goals from the side of the net that should have never went in and an empty netter. Cogliano's goal wasn't much better though. It's a toss up in my opinion. Both are the same size and both are great skaters. I think it's to close to call.
Let me know when someone starts officially recording "weak goals".

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Never look at offensive stats in college or juniors as a measuring stick of what to expect in the future.
That's what I meant. :) Marchant scored a lot more (or comparably) in college than a number of offensive stars in the NHL so I don't see why his numbers should be a measuring stick for a guy like Cogliano.

SeaBasstian

Don't Tread On Me
Mar 5, 2007
Connecticut
whether they were even or not, last night i think the better of the two really stepped up last night. Oshie, even if his goals were weak, got done what needed to be done: Scoring 3 goals. Had he not scored his 3 goals, Michigan would have won. The better of the 2 is still playing for the national championship. GO FIGHTING SIOUX!!

nags

Sep 27, 2006
Yeah ,scouts get real pumped about those empty netters.

Oshie's two goals were goal scorer goals. Cogliano would never have even attempted those shots. He doesn't have that much imagination. Anyone that doesn't think Oshie out played Cogliano in that game just isn't paying attention.

Cogliano is a great skater with average hands. Oshie has great hands and is an average skater. I'm not sure who will be the better player in the NHL but I'm going to put my money on Oshie.

Sammy*

Oshie's two goals were goal scorer goals. Cogliano would never have even attempted those shots. He doesn't have that much imagination. Anyone that doesn't think Oshie out played Cogliano in that game just isn't paying attention.

Cogliano is a great skater with average hands. Oshie has great hands and is an average skater. I'm not sure who will be the better player in the NHL but I'm going to put my money on Oshie.
Thats fine but the point was a valid one & Blues Fan response was too predictable.

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004

Goal scorer goals? What are goal scorer goals? Oshie's goals were lucky and the result of a bad goalie. There was nothing creative about them, he had no other options so he threw the puck on net. His first two goals were about as creative as his third (the empty netter). No doubt Oshie is a great prospect. I like how he competes and he plays both ends fairly well but I'm not sure that Oshie outplayed Cogliano. Oshie had better numbers that game but with Cogliano's speed he's a threat everytime he touches the puck.

Don't get me wrong, I like Oshie (and as a USA hockey fan, love that he's American) but to say that a kid with 16 goals, scores "goal scorer goals" is untrue.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Goal scorer goals? What are goal scorer goals? Oshie's goals were lucky and the result of a bad goalie. There was nothing creative about them, he had no other options so he threw the puck on net. His first two goals were about as creative as his third (the empty netter). No doubt Oshie is a great prospect. I like how he competes and he plays both ends fairly well but I'm not sure that Oshie outplayed Cogliano. Oshie had better numbers that game but with Cogliano's speed he's a threat everytime he touches the puck.

Don't get me wrong, I like Oshie (and as a USA hockey fan, love that he's American) but to say that a kid with 16 goals, scores "goal scorer goals" is untrue.

First of all, Cogliano's speed doesn't always equate with being a threat everytime he touches the ice. His lack of offensive imagination will be even more glaring at the next level. Second, Oshie's goal totals were "down" based in large part because of a hand injury he suffered from this year.

Last edited:

nags

Sep 27, 2006

The goal that he scored where he tucked the puck in just under the blocker and over the right goalie pad was a great goal. Most goof balls would shoot it into the goalies chest from that angle or try the 5 hole which wasn't available. Believe me, that was a goal scorer's goal particularly because he was a right handed shot and he had tuck the puck in off his back hand.

The second goal may or may not have been intentional. I have, however, seen him do similar stuff before. Maybe not from the side of the net, but he has tried deflecting the puck off the goalie from behind the net before.

Oshie's got terrific hands. He has average skating ability which may be his downfall. He's also not that big although he is stocky. Who knows if his hands will translate to the NHL level but right now he is a more effective college hockey player than Cogliano.

SneakerPimp82

Apr 5, 2003
Saint Louis, MO
The goal that he scored where he tucked the puck in just under the blocker and over the right goalie pad was a great goal. Most goof balls would shoot it into the goalies chest from that angle or try the 5 hole which wasn't available. Believe me, that was a goal scorer's goal particularly because he was a right handed shot and he had tuck the puck in off his back hand.

The second goal may or may not have been intentional. I have, however, seen him do similar stuff before. Maybe not from the side of the net, but he has tried deflecting the puck off the goalie from behind the net before.

Oshie's got terrific hands. He has average skating ability which may be his downfall. He's also not that big although he is stocky. Who knows if his hands will translate to the NHL level but right now he is a more effective college hockey player than Cogliano.

Hull, Robitaille, Yzerman, Jason Allison, just to name a few have been average skaters with very good hands and they thrived in the NHL. As long as Oshie is shifty(which he is in spades) and can find open spots, his average skating won't be a problem. To use another Blues prospect as an example, Lee Stempniak will never be mistaken for a speedster, but he has tremendous instinct and feel for where the puck will be and is gonna score 25 goals this year...and will probably get better.

Again, average skating isn't much of an issue if you have the head for the game and good hands. A great skater without a head for the game/soft hands is not gonna thrive in the NHL.

Sammy*

Hull, Robitaille, Yzerman, Jason Allison, just to name a few have been average skaters with very good hands and they thrived in the NHL. As long as Oshie is shifty(which he is in spades) and can find open spots, his average skating won't be a problem. To use another Blues prospect as an example, Lee Stempniak will never be mistaken for a speedster, but he has tremendous instinct and feel for where the puck will be and is gonna score 25 goals this year...and will probably get better.

Again, average skating isn't much of an issue if you have the head for the game and good hands. A great skater without a head for the game/soft hands is not gonna thrive in the NHL.
An average skater in NCAA is a brutal sakater in the NHL. As well, I've seen all kind's of kids with a decent/good head for the game & with a good work ethic that couldnt do it in the show cause their skating just wasnt there. The minors are full of them.
Just wanted to say the converse is true, & Stempniak is by far the exception than the rule.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad