Cogliano v Oshie

Traktor*

Cogliano, can't get any faster, and he has top notch hands and vision.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Cogliano, can't get any faster, and he has top notch hands and vision.

He has top notch speed, but definetly not top notch hands or vision. He's the type of player who's legs move too fast for the rest of his body.

They'll probably both make the league and put up similar numbers, but I really like Oshie.

Schitzo

Jul 29, 2006
I fear that Cogs will turn into another Marchant... all the speed in the world but his hands will never quite catch up.

Except in game 7s versus Dallas. Then he'll be money.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
This is a really interesting comparison as Lowe was apparently going to take Oshie until St. Louis grabbed him right before Edmonton's pick. The two are pretty damn close, Cogliano likely has the superior offensive potential but Oshie provides a more gritty game. It's tough to pick between the two, I'll say they're even for now.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I fear that Cogs will turn into another Marchant... all the speed in the world but his hands will never quite catch up.

Except in game 7s versus Dallas. Then he'll be money.

You know, I've heard people say that, then he gets 3g and 3a in his first two games in the postseason. I think people judging him on his WJC alone (where he was quite obviously snake-bitten), has led to this idea. He sure hasn't had a problem putting up points in the NCAA this year(41p, 20g).

Cogliano has great hands.

heygarebear

Blues
Feb 28, 2002
STL - Nashville
You know, I've heard people say that, then he gets 3g and 3a in his first two games in the postseason. I think people judging him on his WJC alone (where he was quite obviously snake-bitten), has led to this idea. He sure hasn't had a problem putting up points in the NCAA this year(41p, 20g).

Oshie would probably have just as good, if not better stats.. had he not broken his thumb earlier in the year.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Oshie would probably have just as good, if not better stats.. had he not broken his thumb earlier in the year.

Hey, I'm not bashing Oshie. I think both will end up good 2nd line players. I just don't think Cogs fits the "old hands don't keep up with the feet" addage, cause it obviously isn't true. He has put up big points at every level of play so far

It's just been a bit annoying up in Canada listening to people rag on Cogliano based on his WJC numbers only. People often forget the 2a that were given to Toews mistakenly over Cogliano, and the mutli-POG awards he won in the tourny.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Hey, I'm not bashing Oshie. I think both will end up good 2nd line players. I just don't think Cogs fits the "old hands don't keep up with the feet" addage, cause it obviously isn't true. He has put up big points at every level of play so far

I would hope so...the kid was a 1st rd pick.

Traktor*

I disagree on the Hands...but thats a matter of opinion :)

Yup the popular thought right now is Cogs lacks finish, but time will tell. He has a great snap shot, quick release. If I could keep only 1 prospect it would be Cogs I think he will prove a lot of people wrong who think he will only amount to Todd Marchant.

AgentNaslund*

I know they are both similiar- small stature, drafted same year, NCAA players... who do you think will have the better NHL career?

small stature? Cogliano is listed as 5'10, in reality probably 5'9, Oshie was listed 5'11 when drafted, but was 6'1 entering into the 2006 World Juniors, I wouldnt say Oshie is small, cause it seems like hes growing still.

Anyways, Oshie is the safer bet. Cogliano did not have a very good world junior showing considering it was a big ice surface, and Even Oiler fans themselves were complaining about his lack of play making skills.

Traktor*

I think the problem is Pierre says something about a prospect and people are taking it as gospel. Pierre said on that's hockey that he O'marra has 3rd line max! potential and the next think you know 40 people post that O'marra has 3rd line max potential.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Cogliano did not have a very good world junior showing considering it was a big ice surface, and Even Oiler fans themselves were complaining about his lack of play making skills.
And despite that, Cogliano still won the player of the game in two games and finished with essentially a point-per-game (two of his assists were mistakingly given to Toews I believe).

Cogliano was definitely snakebit at the tournament but I have to chuckle at people who are projecting his entire future based on that short sample of games.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
And despite that, Cogliano still won the player of the game in two games and finished with essentially a point-per-game (two of his assists were mistakingly given to Toews I believe).

Cogliano was definitely snakebit at the tournament but I have to chuckle at people who are projecting his entire future based on that short sample of games.

I doubt anyone is doing that....its just people take it personal when someone doesnt like one of their favourite teams prospects.

HF in a nutshell is a bunch of homer fans taking it personal when one of their prospects gets bashed.

Im not saying youre one of them but it happens all the time in here.

nags

Sep 27, 2006
small stature? Cogliano is listed as 5'10, in reality probably 5'9, Oshie was listed 5'11 when drafted, but was 6'1 entering into the 2006 World Juniors, I wouldnt say Oshie is small, cause it seems like hes growing still.

Anyways, Oshie is the safer bet. Cogliano did not have a very good world junior showing considering it was a big ice surface, and Even Oiler fans themselves were complaining about his lack of play making skills.

Well, there is no way that Oshie is 6'1". More like 5'11".

He has better hands than Cogliano for sure and is more dynamic. Cogliano is a much better skater.

Cogliano plays more of a pro-style game, i.e., protect the puck, take it outside when entering the O-zone, puck possession over flash. It reflects his background which is Canadian hockey.

Oshie is a dangler who will get an ear full from his NHL coaches if he trys the same stuff.

Having said that, all in all, I'll give the edge to Oshie. Cogliano will be a great checking centre at the NHL level. He will never be able to score a lot of goals against the NHL goalies unless his hands improve. Up to this point he has gotten away with average hands due to his footspeed.

Hawkey

Sep 15, 2005
I have only seen Cogliano play in the WJC's, but from I saw, he does not seem to play well in high traffic areas and doesn't seem to use his speed as well as you would like.

He will definitely play in the NHL, but I'm not sure his game will translate well in the NHL on a small ice surface with bigger, faster players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->