Confirmed Trade: [CBJ/NJD] D Damon Severson traded to the Blue Jackets for CGY 2023 3rd round pick (sign and trade, 8 years, $6.25M AAV)

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
That's it? A 3rd?

For a UFA that they weren't going to sign? That's a great return when the only other realistic option was no return.

The fact that the devils took a 3rd for a guy that just signed that contract tells you how differently they valued him. You tend to think the team trading trading the player knows best

We also have a very good defense with Hughes and Nemec in the wings. There simply wasn't room for Sevo at a deal that would be fair to him.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Didn’t realize that part lol. Fair return then

Seemed like things lined up where it made sense for all parties. Edmonton tried to work out something similar to get Zach Hyman's rights from Toronto so they could sign him to an 8th year to lower the AAV. I forget if it was ever disclosed what Edmonton was offering, but whatever it was it wasn't enough for Kyle Dubas to do them a favor.

“We know what the value is of the eighth year with the cap savings and so if there's a fair deal to be made to do that, we'll do that,” Dubas told reporters on a Zoom call Saturday, following the conclusion of the 2021 NHL Entry Draft. “But we've been in that situation before [too], and the other GMs aren't helping you out there; they’re pulling the pin from the grenade and they're throwing it to you. I know there's a narrative that we should just get something but you're saving a team significant dollars on the salary cap and that comes with the cost, and we're not going to bend on [what we think is fair].”

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Eh...... That cap hit with that term is kind of gross. Not shocked he got that contract as a right handed guy though.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
The fact that the devils took a 3rd for a guy that just signed that contract tells you how differently they valued him. You tend to think the team trading trading the player knows best
It tells you that they have two young stud replacements and don’t need to be in the business of handing out 8 years to 28 year old 2nd pair D. And were smart to get an asset for a guy three weeks from walking

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Hard for Columbus to attract free agents. (Sans Johnny) Severson was a soon to be UFA. Columbus has to overpay. The club they’re building could be a real mess. I guess they hope Babcock can bring the group together.
I think 99% he will be bought out after 6 years with very little cap implications, so you can basically treat it as a 6 year deal

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
Really like what the Blue Jackets are doing....with the Cap going up, this contract will not be so bad...also they have absolutely improved their defense and they will be adding a stud prospect in a few weeks.....going in a very positive direction for sure.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Eh...... That cap hit with that term is kind of gross. Not shocked he got that contract as a right handed guy though.
Due to handedness the term is my only shock. But I’m sure in a non-competitive year they could convince him to waive and move retain and be free of it. Or after year 5 or 6 he goes completely off a cliff it’s not like the buy out would be crippling.

This move isn’t one I would do. But I can look at it objectively and see the risk and reward associated.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Wasn’t it like just a year ago NJ fans wanted a 1st for Sev

I know the signing rights for UFAs don’t get traded that often but it’s still surprising how many people don’t seem to grasp what exactly happened here.

Yes, Devils fans thought Severson had more trade value as a RFA then as a UFA. That’s how the trade market works.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
To round out that blueline, I'd want more of a big bodied defensive dman (so if sticking with a NJ trade, Ryan Graves I would have thought would be a better fit, plus cheaper on a shorter deal).

They've already got Werenski, Provorov, and Boqvist as guys who can contribute offensively, and that's really the bulk of Severson's value (ie his primary positive trait isnt a big team need).

Severson has more value offensively 5v5, he’s pretty meh on the PP. His positive value is as a PMD rather than point producer/PP QB.

Severson is very good on the PK, which is something they need after losing Gravikov. That’s not a role prospects can come in and fill easily.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Term seems a bit long, but when MTL picked up Savard to help with a young D core that deal was panned, but has aged very well. He was fantastic with the rooks last year, worth every penny.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Cbus may be overpaying for defence but I respect the strategy of aggressively fixing your teams weakness, rather than hoping it sorts it self out.

Caps did this back in 2014 with Niskanen and Orpik and it drastically changed the Caps for the better. They also brought in Trotz that summer.

I guess we’ll see.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Thats what #3 is for.

Hopefully whoever that is can be ready to go by the time we're ready to contend in 2 or 3 years.
That's alot of money and term for a #3, even more so with Jiricek in the system and then they also have Mateychuk, Ceulemans and Svozil in the system.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
No, our #3 overall. You said we really need a center. Thats where we're getting it.
Okay that makes sense I'm tired and a bit drunk.....still he will end up being a very expesnive #3 Dman and that contract might end up hurting Columbus if everything goes there way in terms of prospect development and the Cap.

baabaa

Jun 9, 2023
Cbus may be overpaying for defence but I respect the strategy of aggressively fixing your teams weakness, rather than hoping it sorts it self out.

Caps did this back in 2014 with Niskanen and Orpik and it drastically changed the Caps for the better. They also brought in Trotz that summer.

I guess we’ll see.
Now they just need a number 1 center and a number 1 goalie. I'd say these are bigger weaknesses than what a middle pairing defenceman fixes.

IMO Jarmo has still a lot to do to make Columbus seriously a playoff team. Let's wait and see what the 4D chess master is going to do.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I imagine Severson is at least on the 2nd pair and on the right side
Yea, he’s likely playing with Provorov. That way he doesn’t have to carry the pair, and he can do what he does well, not worrying about the pressure. That’s 100% a Babcock pair. He is going to play Provorov until he drops btw.

Good chance after they got Provorov, they looked at getting him, to be his partner.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I like this for Columbus. A tad overpaid, but should really fit in well. Ppl here seem to forget Boqvist was the 1D for Columbus last season when Werenski was out and then Boqvist was also out for 1/2 season. Gudbranson was the top D!!! Now They essentially got a new Top4. Yeah - might be an overpayment, but what choices does Columbus have? Adding Werenski, Provorov, Severson and 1/2 season of Boqvist will absolutely lift them out from the bottom. Add a 1C to that group and you`ll have a playoff-team.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Now they just need a number 1 center and a number 1 goalie. I'd say these are bigger weaknesses than what a middle pairing defenceman fixes.

IMO Jarmo has still a lot to do to make Columbus seriously a playoff team. Let's wait and see what the 4D chess master is going to do.

Why is it so challenging for people to realize that in few weeks time they’ll draft the best C in franchise history?
While they also have Johnson with 1C potential

& their defense was a complete tire fire last season.

Werenski/Provorov/Severson with Babcock will make a massive difference

I like this for Columbus. A tad overpaid, but should really fit in well. Ppl here seem to forget Boqvist was the 1D for Columbus last season when Werenski was out and then Boqvist was also out for 1/2 season. Gudbranson was the top D!!! Now They essentially got a new Top4. Yeah - might be an overpayment, but what choices does Columbus have? Adding Werenski, Provorov, Severson and 1/2 season of Boqvist will absolutely lift them out from the bottom. Add a 1C to that group and you`ll have a playoff-team.

Gavrikov was the 1D with Werenski out

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad