Confirmed Trade: [CBJ/NJD] D Damon Severson traded to the Blue Jackets for CGY 2023 3rd round pick (sign and trade, 8 years, $6.25M AAV)

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
"U30" is an enormously euphemistic way to characterize this signing.

I actually like Severson more than most. But he is not worth this contract. And it very likely will age poorly.

And yes. It is fairly clear CBJ is desperately trying to make the playoffs next season. Is Jarmo doing this if he wants to rebuild? I don't think so. Is CBJ a playoff calibre team now? I'm not that confident.

Like if the Canucks did the same I would also criticize them. This isn't CBJ-bashing.

Provorov is 26y and Severson is turning 29y.
So under 30 goes well here.

Why do these moves suggest it’s playoffs or bust for Columbus next season?

You really can’t see the tire fire they were defensively especially with all the injuries they had?

You don’t want to create a losing culture where it takes 10 years to figure things out.

& as it has been said many times in this thread Columbus is ”finished” with their rebuild via draft phase, they’ve committed to that part already& I’m confused if you have missed that.
They have zero reasons to try be a basement level team next year.

baabaa

Jun 9, 2023
Provorov is 26y and Severson is turning 29y.
So under 30 goes well here.

Why do these moves suggest it’s playoffs or bust for Columbus next season?

You really can’t see the tire fire they were defensively especially with all the injuries they had?

You don’t want to create a losing culture where it takes 10 years to figure things out.

& as it has been said many times in this thread Columbus is ”finished” with their rebuild via draft phase, they’ve committed to that part already& I’m confused if you have missed that.
They have zero reasons to try be a basement level team next year.
IMO you don't sign Severson to an 8 year deal if your plan is to rebuild. This is a move you make to try and contend. I mean it's still an awful move, but makes zero sense if you're just rebuilding.

I don't see Jarmo getting many more chances if he misses the playoffs next year. If he misses next season his stats would be: 5 playoffs in 11 seasons and 4 misses in a row. He's likely getting fired if he misses.

Also, they still need a number 1 center and a goalie. Those also cost money and cap space.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I'm glad it won't be the Devils paying that contract, simply because the Devils already have 2 RHD that are better than him, but he's a lot closer to worth it than people will give him credit for.

Yeah it makes sense for the Devils to let him walk... good to recoup a pick on a FA too. I'm a little surprised that there wasn't more "interest", but maybe the high aav wanted by Severson scared a few teams away.
AAV is fine. I wouldn't have given him 8 years. I thought the contract projections of 6 x 6.1 were reasonable for an unrestricted free agent contract.

I'm generally not a fan of free agency just because as someone else mentioned....long term, 3rd contracts for vets in free agency almost always go bad. I feel like the structure of these deals is almost more important than what the actual deal is. What's the trade / movement clause look like, how are the payouts structured. How much real cash is being paid in the early years. Buyout proof or not; can it be moved to rebuilding team in the later years.

NHL's cap is pretty strict once the contract is signed, but there's enough flexibility that I feel like with these type of UFA deals, we need to start looking at them a little more like a free agent deal in the NFL where you'er looking at the structure almost immediately to see how soon and how bloodlessly a team can get away from that player in the future.

That's a good point. I'm not knowledgeable to understand the whole structure, but it seems like a front loaded contract is a little more difficult to get out off later on in terms of a buyout?

No bonuses in the last two years would make it more friendly to rebuilding team?

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Yeah it makes sense for the Devils to let him walk... good to recoup a pick on a FA too. I'm a little surprised that there wasn't more "interest", but maybe the high aav wanted by Severson scared a few teams away.

That's a good point. I'm not knowledgeable to understand the whole structure, but it seems like a front loaded contract is a little more difficult to get out off later on in terms of a buyout?

No bonuses in the last two years would make it more friendly to rebuilding team?
The last 4 years are less money than the caphit so thats a positive. Buying out the last 3 years also is significant savings for 3 years and then would be 1.5 mil on the cap for 3 more years

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017

Doubt the aav scared teams. The aav is perfect for serverson. He is a solid defenseman. The 8 year term is what’s scary

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Devils couldn't afford to give him 8 years, if he was willing to sign for 2-3 they would have considered bringing him back. I don't think it was the aav that scared people away as much as the term, 8 years is crazy.

Reactions: abo9

Lateralous

Jun 17, 2003
Abington, PA
Visit site
Lol have fun w him. He’s not good anymore
Huh? I expect better from a Devils fan who presumably watches him fairly frequently. He is coming off a really good year.

If he's properly slotted on the 2nd pairing, I think Columbus will be just fine. Yes, he has 1 or 2 mind numbing brain farts a week but he also makes 1 or 2 plays a week that most D men can't pull off. That's the Damon Severson experience. He's a good 2nd pairing defenseman that we just don't have a spot for anymore at the salary he could make on the open market.

All that being said, getting a 3rd for someone we almost had to let walk was masterful by Fitzgerald.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
IMO you don't sign Severson to an 8 year deal if your plan is to rebuild. This is a move you make to try and contend. I mean it's still an awful move, but makes zero sense if you're just rebuilding.

I don't see Jarmo getting many more chances if he misses the playoffs next year. If he misses next season his stats would be: 5 playoffs in 11 seasons and 4 misses in a row. He's likely getting fired if he misses.

Also, they still need a number 1 center and a goalie. Those also cost money and cap space.

Did you like at all read my post?

Reactions: CBJx614

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Columbus, What you doing?
Its amazing how teams and fans will scoff at trading for a Karlsson or a Nurse at their numbers and then go and sign a guy like Severson to this.
Are you saying that we could have gotten Karlsson at 30-40% retained for a mid-round 3rd in 2023? G-ddamn, if that was the case we totally should have gone for that instead.

chaser17

Dec 30, 2014
Are you saying that we could have gotten Karlsson at 30-40% retained for a mid-round 3rd in 2023? G-ddamn, if that was the case we totally should have gone for that instead.
Obviously not, Mr. Smart.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
That's a time bomb first pairing.

On an awful team, yes. Bottom pair coming into and throughout the season on the Devils.
The trade makes so much sense just looking at the log jam with younger more than capable D on the Devils. It doesn’t mean that Severson is a bottom pair D… GM’s are constantly faced with the challenge to having to move good players to make room for their prospects and young studs. The deal seems fair to both teams as it solves near and long term problems for both teams.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
No. Did you read mine?

Yeah and it was clear you didn’t read what I wrote yet decided to reply to it.

Absolutely you don’t sign Severson to 8 year deal if your plan is to rebuild moving forward.

Guess what Columbus has done the last couple of years? Rebuilt and build up one of the best prospect pools in the league while now having Gaudreau/Werenski/Laine/Provorov/Severson in their primes.

They still need a 1C and that’s going to take assets and money.

You know what team is quaranteed to get one of Fantilli/Carlsson with their own pick? The best C prospect in their franchise history.

Soo why would Columbus still need to be in rebuild via draft mode moving forward?

They have 2 potential 1C’s, including a franchise 1C, 2 potential 1D’s, including a franchise 1D and all the rest

Last edited:
Reactions: Aaaarrgghh

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I used to have faith in Jarmo, but at this point:

seinfeld-jerry-seinfeld.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Jeune Poulet

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
People out here acting like this is the worst contract in the league, when Ben Chiarot has a 4,75m caphit.

Damn, its not even the worst contract in Columbus, they have Gudbranson.

What this does is at least they can ice a somewhat competetive d-line where they can hopefully ease Jiricek in, while not getting absolutely destroyed. Now if they make a move for a center as well, the team is actually looking pretty solid while having a great prospect pool. The people out here acting like Severson who either hit or was on pace for 40points as D in Devils from 2018 to 2021, should be paid 2million are f***ing clueless.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
the AAV isn't bad, but the term is ridiculous

if you are planning on Severson being on your top pair, you are in for a bad time. He is a fine player 90% of the time, but when he screws up, he REALLY screws up. One of the more unique players I can remember in that regard.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
the AAV isn't bad, but the term is ridiculous

if you are planning on Severson being on your top pair, you are in for a bad time. He is a fine player 90% of the time, but when he screws up, he REALLY screws up. One of the more unique players I can remember in that regard.
The idea is to have him there as a temporary fill-in until Jiricek is ready, because what we were working with before was even worse.

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
The idea is to have him there as a temporary fill-in until Jiricek is ready, because what we were working with before was even worse.
And i dont get this "top pair" thing, having him on the 2nd pair providing offence, which he has proven he can do is something CBJ didn't have. Imagine Provorov actually getting back to the level he once was, and Jiricek living up to the hype... man that's a d-corp most teams only dream of.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad