Confirmed Trade: [CBJ/NJD] D Damon Severson traded to the Blue Jackets for CGY 2023 3rd round pick (sign and trade, 8 years, $6.25M AAV)

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
And i dont get this "top pair" thing, having him on the 2nd pair providing offence, which he has proven he can do is something CBJ didn't have. Imagine Provorov actually getting back to the level he once was, and Jiricek living up to the hype... man that's a d-corp most teams only dream of.
To be fair, right now he is the most proven RD we have and he is probably going to start opposite Werenski next year. What folks don't get is that that's a temporary measure for at most the first season and thereafter he'll likely be further down the lineup and thriving.

Reactions: gritdash60

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
To be fair, right now he is the most proven RD we have and he is probably going to start opposite Werenski next year. What folks don't get is that that's a temporary measure for at most the first season and thereafter he'll likely be further down the lineup and thriving.
Yeah but what i mean is he isn't meant to be or paid to be their #1D for 8 years which some people here seem to think.

Yeah but what i mean is he isn't meant to be or paid to be their #1D for 8 years which some people here seem to think.
I would have Severson at 6.25m rather than Darnell Nurse or Seth Jones at 9.5 all day of the week and twice on sundays is what im saying.

Devil made me do it

Nov 28, 2009
California
Why would Colombus trade for Severson when he was to become an UFA?
They could've easily given him this deal without trading a pick in return? Were they too concerned other teams would outbid them?

SteelCityCannon

Mar 25, 2017
I used to have faith in Jarmo, but at this point:

seinfeld-jerry-seinfeld.gif
Sure let’s just keep Gundbranson on the top pair and see how it goes.

Jarmo made the team better with these two trades. Not even debatable when you look at what our defense was on paper.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
How many top 4 do you see in that group? I bet it isn't 4
And that has what exactly to do with a desperation move like giving up an asset so you can sign a 29 year old defenseman to a big money deal for 8 years? It's thinking like this that gets NHL GM's in trouble constantly. Oh, we have a need for such and such so let's go out in free agency and overpay in years and/or AAV for a good but not great player.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
So, is Jarmo aware he'll eventually have to pay...

Johnson
Laine
2023 3rd overall pick
Sillinger
Jiricek

when their ELCs are done?
That are all tradable to fit the timeline of the window that is within a 1-3 years of now. HF boards are generally stuck on building for the future, which is always in the future… it seems to me that a lot of posters have their hopes stuck to the future that will never arrive, because it’s always ahead, which feels safe. No risk, no reward. No need to make hard decisions must feel nice, but it will never pay off IMO. Hat’s off to JK - go for it.

Reactions: TheFamousFart

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Devils couldn't afford to give him 8 years, if he was willing to sign for 2-3 they would have considered bringing him back. I don't think it was the aav that scared people away as much as the term, 8 years is crazy.
There would’ve been no adequate space for him in NJ when you look at their young and upcoming players. It’s purely asset managment with cap space and a log jam for the the top spots. It’s a win-win for the next few seasons, which fits the Jackets timeline perfectly IMO. Good move for all parties.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Devils couldn't afford to give him 8 years, if he was willing to sign for 2-3 they would have considered bringing him back. I don't think it was the aav that scared people away as much as the term, 8 years is crazy.

This is absolutely true- 6.25 is reasonable value on the open market. Those 8 years are hideous though.

Fact is: he's really one of those Jake Gardiner lite types who can wow you with an outlet pass and then make the most boneheaded defensive play ever to lose a game.

The Devils would/could never pay him 6m though, even on shorter term. It doesn't make sense where the team is right now to be paying your #5 Dman that kind of money.

Before you all know better: I've literally spent the last ten years complaining about this guy's giveaways in post game threads. I've gone from touting him as our next great defenseman after seeing him play in the WHL, to absolutely praying for this day to finally come where I don't have to see him blow a tire, fan, fail to lock someone up or lose a puck battle in the corner.

This trade made two teams better today.

Edit: I WILL say that this year has absolutely been his best since his rookie year, despite reduced point production.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
So your position is that Jiricek - whose first year in the AHL was every bit as good as Nemec's if not better - will not be ready after 8 years?

Thanks for sharing.
No my position is that he might be ready next year and you'll have seven years of Severson on the books at $6m.
I don't think GMs sign 8 yr stopgaps

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
At which point he's playing minutes lower in the lineup and thus with less opportunities for those moments that you're selection biasing into a monument of horror.
Dude. The guy had his own verb 'Seversoning' to indicate that brilliant tape-to-tape pass from the corner to an opponent's stick.

Look, why would I have a reason to sour grape this? He was a good soldier for the terribad years, and actually was a chief contributor to the terribadness.

Everyone on our board and Fitz knew there was a zero % chance of signing him to a 4.75m/6yr deal that might fit our numbers considering what he brings. He might be great for you guys. I hope so, bc he's a darn nice guy. The 3rd rounder is a complete bonus gravy, bc we would 100% let him walk and move on anyway.

Good luck with all that.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
First of all "take the L and move on" was a clever thing to say like ten years ago.

Second, I'm supposed to take an L for thinking that perhaps giving a guy like Severson an 8 year deal which will pay him over 6 million a year until he is 37 might be a really stupid idea in a few years.

View attachment 716598
It’s really cool that you’re so concerned about a division rival’s cap eight years from now, but you have to admit this is a weird hill to die on for you.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Why would Colombus trade for Severson when he was to become an UFA?
They could've easily given him this deal without trading a pick in return? Were they too concerned other teams would outbid them?
Short answer, yes. There is clearly an unofficial plan layed out with the future HC (Babs) about what kind of a D corps are needed to make a maximal output of the tactics that we’ll see for the next few years.

This signing fits the bill. Good on JK for going for it early and securing the kind of players that were missing in the squad.

In a not a too optimistic scenario the Jackets are getting the most bang of the buck out of their high payed played players In their prime. These additions also allows them to let their A+ D prospects grow into their roles with proper tutoring and assignment and ease them into playing heavier minutes and grow confidence as future top 4 D’s.

Reactions: TheFamousFart

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
That's probably a million more than Severson is really "worth"...but that's really not as bad as i was expecting. A million over what i'd call "fair value" and probably a million under what i'd "expected" someone to give him.

The term is pretty yikes. But that's doing business in the UFA market, and the reason you'd make a trade to get the guy to beat out all other bidders that way.

Curious to see how Columbus defence pairings actually shake out. Lots of moving parts and chemistry to try to figure out. But they've definitely improved their group a fair bit this past week, and getting Werenski back alone will be an absolutely massive upgrade from last year.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad