Confirmed Trade: [CBJ/NJD] D Damon Severson traded to the Blue Jackets for CGY 2023 3rd round pick (sign and trade, 8 years, $6.25M AAV)

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Sure. He has balls and that has made him miss the playoffs 3 times in a row. Congrats to him I guess?

View attachment 716763
They had Panarin, Bob and Duchene walk (repordedly not offered a contract and not sad about that one), had Jones say he didnt want to resign and Dubois straight up wanted out. Decided a rebuild was in order which meant trading Savard and Foligno. He turned that situation into 1 of the better prospects in the league (Johnson, Jiricek, Sillinger, Mateychuk, Ceulemans, Svozil, 3rd overall), Laine, Gaudreau and now Provorov/Severson.

You can question the actions that brought him to the point of needing a rebuild but once in it I think hes done very well. Sucking this year as bad as they did with the injuries was a bit of a surprise but the silverlining is Carlsson/Fantilli. People usually like to forget good teams were once bad teams and had to follow similar steps.

Reactions: MrEckted

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
You guys really have no idea how to read between the lines. My earlier post was just a friendly jab at NJ because they lost their minds when Johnny chose a Columbus.

Heres the thing, if it were the other way around NJ fans would be crapping all over CBJ. I don't agree with it whether it's NJD or CBJ, but just making a point that will obviously not get through.

Ahhh yes, everyone else was the problem

Reactions: AusDev

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
You guys really have no idea how to read between the lines. My earlier post was just a friendly jab at NJ because they lost their minds when Johnny chose a Columbus.

Heres the thing, if it were the other way around NJ fans would be crapping all over CBJ. I don't agree with it whether it's NJD or CBJ, but just making a point that will obviously not get through.

I often miss subtle nuances of strangers’ posts on HFBoard trade board as I speed read through.

No one stops to smell the roses these days.

Your social commentary has been duly noted.

PatLaFontaineASMR

Jul 9, 2014
Parts Unkown
Having Eichel still left a spot and a need for 1 more top6 C.
Columbus will have a duo of Fantilli/Carlsson+ Johnson to try to build the top6 around.

& Buffalo ignored their defense and lead to a 10 year rebuild.
Columbus is smart and building from the defense up
"Buffalo ignored their defense and lead to a 10 year rebuild."

Lol that's a bunch of BS. Both of our bad GMs tried to "build the defense".

Murray wanted a tough physical defense and made moves for Bogosian, Gorges, Kulikov, and Franson.

Botts wanted a defense that can make plays on offense and made moves for Montour, Miller, Jokiharju, and Scandella. Botterill was obsessed with building the defense to the point we had 9 NHL defenders on the roster.

This isn't NHL 23 though. Just adding guys isn't guaranteed to make your defense better.

Reactions: TheDawnOfANewTage

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
I have a unreasonable distain for Severson on the ice. It isn't his fault however he was forced to log top pair minutes on some truly horrible teams and he's simply not a top-pair Dman. He had his most effective season this yr on the 3rd pair... I'm glad we didn't have to pay him...on even a short term deal

I feel bad however, the Devils finally turn the corner and he's shipped off to another crap show ( sorry but jarmo is the most overrated GM in the NHL. )

Reactions: Devilsfan118

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
I have a unreasonable distain for Severson on the ice. It isn't his fault however he was forced to log top pair minutes on some truly horrible teams and he's simply not a top-pair Dman. He had his most effective season this yr on the 3rd pair... I'm glad we didn't have to pay him...on even a short term deal

I feel bad however, the Devils finally turn the corner and he's shipped off to another crap show ( sorry but jarmo is the most overrated GM in the NHL. )

It’s OK, Mat.

Columbus spent about two thirds of the year with only one top-4 quality D, and the last third with none. Severson will be asked to play a #3 role next season and likely #4 beyond that, which is a luxury that Columbus can afford due to a young veteran core mixed with a prospect pool that includes one of the best defensemen prospects (Jiricek) along with several other top four caliber prospects (Mateychuk, Svozil, Ceulemans). What Columbus needed now was a veteran in his prime that can eat minutes in the top 4 and slot next to either Werenski or Provorov.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
"Buffalo ignored their defense and lead to a 10 year rebuild."

Lol that's a bunch of BS. Both of our bad GMs tried to "build the defense".

Murray wanted a tough physical defense and made moves for Bogosian, Gorges, Kulikov, and Franson.

Botts wanted a defense that can make plays on offense and made moves for Montour, Miller, Jokiharju, and Scandella. Botterill was obsessed with building the defense to the point we had 9 NHL defenders on the roster.

This isn't NHL 23 though. Just adding guys isn't guaranteed to make your defense better.

Buffalo was a tire fire defensively.

I watched those sad teams enough

PatLaFontaineASMR

Jul 9, 2014
Parts Unkown
Buffalo was a tire fire defensively.

I watched those sad teams enough
That's not the point. Buffalo didn't ignore the defense. Botterill's entire GM tenure was trying to build the defense. He spent a ton of assets acquring Brandon Montour, Colin Miller, Marco Scandella, and Henri Jokiharju. The exact same thing you're saying Columbus is smart for doing. The example didn't make any sense.

Reactions: TheDawnOfANewTage

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
That's not the point. Buffalo didn't ignore the defense. Botterill's entire GM tenure was trying to build the defense. He spent a ton of assets acquring Brandon Montour, Colin Miller, Marco Scandella, and Henri Jokiharju. The exact same thing you're saying Columbus is smart for doing. The example didn't make any sense.

Yep, and it’s frustrating that each of those guys were their worst selves here. Joker was decent at first but just had an awful season, doesn’t seem to think the game fast enough and is scared of his own shadow. Miller maybe was never good, but he supposedly wasn’t awful for Dallas this year. And Scandella- good god, the disdain I have for that lazy sack of shit. Absolutely mailed it in here, just a trash bag of a player. Oh, and Montour being allowed to play to his strengths in Florida. He ain’t great defensively, but we did not let him cook like he’s currently doing. Frustrating. Ah well, at least we got rid of friggin Risto and such, hopefully on the up-and-up.

All that to say it’s probably good the Sabres didn’t get Severson. Just feels like he’s the sorta dude who woulda done the above, where his best play/usage isn’t realized here.

Reactions: PatLaFontaineASMR

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Don’t worry, Devils fans, you got a really good deal. That 3rd round pick is a fan favorite and the Jackets are really going to miss him.
Joke all you want this is pretty exciting stuff.

As far as I know the Devils have never traded the signing rights of UFA for a pick.

The closest we got was swapping Henrik Tallider’s signing rights with Buffalo for very fringey minor leaguer in 2013.

This bring’s me back to the fun wacky decade of compensatory picks for UFAs (1994-2005).

Lots of picks:
1996 4th Rd (#101) for FA Bruce Driver
1997 3rd Rd (#58) for FA Phil Housley
1998 5th Rd (#143) for FA Dave Ellett
1999 2nd Rd (#42) for FA Doug Gilmour
1999 4th Rd (#100) for FA Steve Thomas
2000 5th Rd (#135) for FA Dave Andreychuk
2001 3rd Rd (#67) for FA Claude Lemieux
2002 2nd Rd (#53) for FA Alex Mogilny
2002 7th Rd (#218) for FA Ken Sutton
2003 2nd Rd (#42) for FA Bobby Holik
2004 7th Rd (#216) for FA Jim McKenzie

Alas, not very good results for the most part, the Devils drafting started to get dodgy by end of this period.
The best pick of the lot:
Mike Commodore, 1999 NJD 2nd Rd (#42) for FA Doug Gilmour

The best picks out of all the compensatory picks for UFAs? (You know you want to know!)

The earliest pick is a 3-way tie.
1997 STL Rd 2 (#40) for FA Wayne Gretzky
1998 NYR 2nd Rd (#40) for FA Mark Messier
1999 STL 2nd Rd (#40) for FA Brett Hull

Here’s the best players by draft date. This period had some really crap drafts so there’s slim pickings earlier on but one draft brings the heat. (Guess which one!):

Toni Lydman, 1996 CGY Rd 4 (#89) for FA Joel Otto
Niklas Hagman, 1999 FLA 3rd Rd (#70) for FA John Vanbiesbrouck
Jarrett Stoll, 2000 COL 2nd Rd (#46) for FA Theo Fleury
Travis Moen 2000 CGY 5th Rd (#155) for FA Ken Wreggett
Ryan Clowe 2001 SJS 6th Rd (#175) for FA Jeff Norton
Patrice Bergeron 2003 BOS 2nd Rd (#45) for FA Bill Guerin
Matt Carle 2003 SJS 2nd Rd (#47) for FA Curtis Joseph
Shea Weber 2003 NSH 2nd Rd (#49) for FA Ed Belfour
Alex Edler 2004 SJS 3rd Rd (#91) for FA Mark Messier
Mark Streit 2004 MTL 7th Rd (#262) for FA Bill Lindsay

Reactions: Jargon and Forge

Ad