Player Discussion Carey Price - Why Always Me? Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Good point, but Markov-Subban-Emelin was solid. At some point Petry joined in mid season too. During those years Plekanec was really solid as a defensive center as well. The year Weber joined we had a really solid D defensively as well. Price has always been sheltered defensively regardless of what people who hated Therrien (not without reason) said.

The defence was alright. It was nothing special. A lot of the games were decided by Price. The whole lottery team thing that year is an exaggeration and it always has been. I’ll give you that. But he turned a bubble playoff team and into 110 points which is a super impressive feat and that’s why players, GM’s and the media went nuts.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
You bash him and downplay him whenever you can. This is nothing new. At least be honest about it.

Yes I am critical every chance I get. He makes 10.5M and he should be WAY better than that.

I was not critical like that when he won the MVP. That's just a lie.

The guy has been the most consistent goalie in the league for a long time now and yet you trash him whenever you can. You've waited about seven years to come here now and scream: "SEE GUYS!!! I WAS RIGHT ALL ALONG! HE SUCKSSS!!!!!!111!!!!"

Most consistent goalie in the league for a long time ? I guess you're counting the year he was injured as being consistent.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Yes. In 2015, Markov, Patch, Subban, Plekanec certainly were impactful players?

In 2016, as I said before, no #1 goalies no playoffs for a defensive team. Just look at the 3 times cup winner hawks and their record with/without Crawford :

It wouldn't be so bad if they still had Darling like the rangers when Lundqvist got injured and they had Talbot. But if you don't actually have a good backup, not even GREAT teams can do anything.
This season we are clearly not a great team, but Price is giving us zero chance with his play.

In 2017, Price got out dueled again in the playoffs. He was awful in the last 2 games in a super tight defensive series. Gave up softies when Lundqvist was posting 1-0 SO wins (2-0 with EN). That's why we lost. Of course if we had an insanely talented offensive team it would have been a different story. But that's like saying if the caps had the best D in the league, they would win every cup. Our strenght is supposed to be goaltending according to you guys. It certainly didn't show in the 17 playoffs.

In 2018, the team has been competing exactly the same with our backups as with Price :
Hawks won their first cup with Crawford on the bench.
ptsmax pts Pts %
Without Price163842,11
With Price358242,68
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Hawks won their first cup with Crawford on the bench.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
The defence was alright. It was nothing special. A lot of the games were decided by Price. The whole lottery team thing that year is an exaggeration and it always has been. I’ll give you that. But he turned a bubble playoff team and into 110 points which is a super impressive feat and that’s why players, GM’s and the media went nuts.

Finally... finally ! Allelujah. There may be hope for the world yet.

As for the rest of the post, everything is a matter of degrees. I'd say the difference between bubble and top, or bubble and bottom is getting smaller every day as evidenced by the hawks this year without Crawford. Clearly when Price is on top of his game he's an impact player. But this has not happened anywhere near with enough regularity to be getting excited about.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yes I am critical every chance I get. He makes 10.5M and he should be WAY better than that.

I was not critical like that when he won the MVP. That's just a lie.
Yeah... right.
Most consistent goalie in the league for a long time ? I guess you're counting the year he was injured as being consistent.
Yes, just like I'd count any player who was great over a long period of time and missed a season.

And thanks for proving my point again.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Finally... finally ! Allelujah. There may be hope for the world yet.

As for the rest of the post, everything is a matter of degrees. I'd say the difference between bubble and top, or bubble and bottom is getting smaller every day as evidenced by the hawks this year without Crawford. Clearly when Price is on top of his game he's an impact player. But this has not happened anywhere near with enough regularity to be getting excited about.

His 2011 and 2014 seasons are incredibly underrated. He was carrying those teams single handedly. He deserved the playoff success in 2014, even tho if Lindback isn’t in net our team is an easy bounce in the first round like it is every year because of scoring. Last year he had a rough stretch when the team turned on Therrien, but again he was excellent for most of it. He finished the last 20 games after Therrien was fired around a .940 last year to stop the team from falling off a cliff for a second straight season. He’s had four top 5 Vezina finishes in 7 years, in 2013 he was a favourite for the Vezina until one 10 game bad stretch took him out, his stats were very good for playing on a last place team in 2012.

I just don’t understand the hate. You say it’s because he’s overhyped and doesn’t deserve it. Shouldn’t it be fun as a fan when a member of your team is stealing the headlines? This is professional hockey. It’s all above winning and Hamilton started Price because they thought he gave them the best chance to win and they won a championship. The Habs traded Halak after his run because they still felt he was the inferior goalie. They were right. This is the big league. This is how professional sports teams are run.

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
MB is a moron, who painted himself into a corner.............

Would you take an 84M dollar contract if your boss asked you to?

We signed an 84 millions dollars contract because fanboy like you and the brain dead media keep defecting the same shit that we are nothing without Price. Which is False. Price is average goalie. We never were bottomfeeder with halak, huet , theodore and the team in front was no better. Witn his new contract kicking in next year , Price will be the most overated and overpaid player in the whole league. And to people like guy and nhl91 that say that other goaltenders will sign similar contract to Price's term are speaking non sense. Future will tell you really have a poor understanding of the reality of todays NHL

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
We signed an 84 millions dollars contract because fanboy like you and the brain dead media keep defecting the same **** that we are nothing without Price. Which is False. Price is average goalie. We never were bottomfeeder with halak, huet , theodore and the team in front was no better. Witn his new contract kicking in next year , Price will be the most overated and overpaid player in the whole league. And to people like guy and nhl91 that say that other goaltenders will sign similar contract to Price's term are speaking non sense. Future will tell you really have a poor understanding of the reality of todays NHL

Find one quote where I said that. That’s a bunch of crap, if you’re going to call me out, atleast get it right. I haven’t defended his contract once, quite the opposite. But since you brought up the subject, Rinne took up around the same amount of Price’s contract percentage when it was signed and so did Lundqvist. So just going by history, other teams will sink that much cap into a goalie. Don’t try and make me look like a bad guy because I stick up for one of our best players. “Fanboys” aren’t the reason Price got signed to a ridiculous contract. A management that felt he could save his and all his buddies jobs did.

Reactions: groovejuice

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
Hilarious that you bring up Subban... just like Carey Price he had a group of haters who ragged on him no matter what. When Price went down in 2016 and the team fell apart, PK became the whipping boy just like Price is now. PK could do nothing right, he was lazy, didn't care... all the same crap we're reading now. It's a joke.

I used to think it was just Hab fans who were crazy but having now policed the boards for a while I see it happens on every team. There are tons of NY fans who hate Lundqvist, Pens fans who hate Crosby. Always the same guys downplaying their best players. Doesn't make much sense to me but I guess it is what it is. There's always going to be a group of people who for whatever reason can't stand their star player.

I never hate on Subban. His trade was as big of a mistake if not bigger as Price new contract. The number one D of a team is has a lot more impact on a team than the goaltender. Anybody who argue that dont know hockey

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
Find one quote where I said that. That’s a bunch of crap, if you’re going to call me out, atleast get it right. I haven’t defended his contract once, quite the opposite. But since you brought up the subject, Rinne took up around the same amount of Price’s contract percentage when it was signed and so did Lundqvist. So just going by history, other teams will sink that much cap into a goalie. Don’t try and make me look like a bad guy because I stick up for one of our best players. “Fanboys” aren’t the reason Price got signed to a ridiculous contract. A management that felt he could save his and all his buddies jobs did.

Well nobody in their right mind could defend sincerely that idiotic contract. Worst in the NHL imo. Im just saying you keep defending Price like his your lover. Every stats and easily an eye test can tell you is very average and does nothing special to warrant such hype. At one point you were puting in the top players of the league. How ridicukous that was

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
Seriously man, you have a problem...you are fixated on Price, and you have given new meaning to the word fanatic....he must have eaten your sandwich or something....he is our best player, and you don't seem to be able to deal with it...

Just wow....

A goaltender our best player. Thats so wrong. You beein an hockey fan for so long and have such a poor understanding of the game its truly mindbuggling

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Well nobody in their right mind could defend sincerely that idiotic contract. Worst in the NHL imo. Im just saying you keep defending Price like his your lover. Every stats and easily an eye test can tell you is very average and does nothing special to warrant such hype. At one point you were puting in the top players of the league. How ridicukous that was

Forget the media hype. Do the coaches, GM’s, and players around the league need to get their eye’s checked? They seemed to be hyping him up the most and they’re the ones playing against him. He was 1st for save percentage over a 7 year span after the Halak trade, and up there in others as well. Does that scream average goalie? I think you’re the one who may need to get his eyes checked because the eye test is failing you. He’s sucked this year, but don’t try and use it as a way to devalue the rest of his career.

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
Forget the media hype. Do the coaches, GM’s, and players around the league need to get their eye’s checked? They seemed to be hyping him up the most and they’re the ones playing against him. He was 1st for save percentage over a 7 year span after the Halak trade, and up there in others as well. Does that scream average goalie? I think you’re the one who may need to get his eyes checked because the eye test is failing you. He’s sucked this year, but don’t try and use it as a way to devalue the rest of his career.

The team in front make the goaltender. You could swap the 30 starters from team to team and they will show very similar stats at the end of the season. Thats what i think

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013

Ok but how many Vezinas has he won in the last 7 years? 1

Does that scream BEST in the world to you? No

So who cares what players thought about him 3 years ago.

How can you think that you can win with a goalie that has serious MOOD problems like him is beyond me.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
The team in front make the goaltender. You could swap the 30 starters from team to team and they will show very similar stats at the end of the season. Thats what i think

So I guess Lingren is the next Brodeur. Because he kind of did alot better than Price. Ya know

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

You could switch any of the top 10-15 goaltenders and the difference would be minimal in today’s game with the way systems are played. But that doesn’t discredit Price from being one of the best at his position, excluding this season where he’s been a inconsistent mess. I don’t blame you if you feel like investing 10-14% was a huge mistake or if you think having a goalie being your crunch is a big mistake because I feel the same way. I defend Price the way I do because I’ve hated the way this fanbase has treated goalies the entire time I’ve followed them. They’re either hero or zero and used as a meat shield so yes, I do white knight them when they’re under attack.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I can't wait for Bob and Holtby new contract so people will stop acting like Price deal is a Gomez-like deal ( like they did back he signed his 6.5m deal).

Reactions: nhlfan9191

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I never hate on Subban. His trade was as big of a mistake if not bigger as Price new contract. The number one D of a team is has a lot more impact on a team than the goaltender. Anybody who argue that dont know hockey
And anyone arguing that Price sucks doesn't know hockey either.
Well then why is it that whenever Price has gone down for any significant time this club has fallen apart?

There's no doubt the team has an impact on the goalie. We're seeing that now and we've seen it with strong teams and weak goalies. There's some truth to it. But Carey Price has played behind crappy teams for most of his career.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I can't wait for Bob and Holtby new contract so people will stop acting like Price deal is a Gomez-like deal ( like they did back he signed his 6.5m deal).

I don’t think Washington is going to cave in to Holtby. Bonrovsky may be a different story.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I don’t think Washington is going to cave in to Holtby. Bonrovsky may be a different story.

If the Caps don't cave, Holtby is probably gonna sign elsewhere.

Back when Crosby signed his deal, if you told me Toews and Kopitar would sign for 10.5m a year, most would have called you crazy.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
MB is a moron, who painted himself into a corner.............

Would you take an 84M dollar contract if your boss asked you to?
Sigh. Nobody is blaming Price for taking the contract. They are concerned that he might not live up to it, whether his fault or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino