Player Discussion Carey Price - Why Always Me? Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I wish for both Weber and Price requesting a trade within the next 2 years for full and total rebuild.

Except if they request a trade, the Habs are already de-leveraged, and the return will reflect that.

If they are going to be traded, its hopefully at the Habs accord.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Except if they request a trade, the Habs are already de-leveraged, and the return will reflect that.

If they are going to be traded, its hopefully at the Habs accord.

If Bergevin is still the GM, it wouldn't surprise me if they demanded a trade. To paraphrase Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday, "(Bergevin) has not yet begun to defile himself."

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
Price needs 30 shutouts, to make us look like a half decent team..........he just doesn't have it this year...

In 40 games hes got 1

If he could get 5 by the end of the year we might make the playoffs

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Price is having a really bad season. There's no way around it.

He also had a horrible start. If he had had a better season, we'd still be in the playoff race. If he had had a better start, maybe we don't start the season in a hole and momentum carries us to a better record overall.

Do we lean too much on him? Sure, maybe. But still doesn't change that he's good enough on his own to give us a few more wins, enough to still be in the race.

I just hope he's back to his Vezina/Hart form next year. I still think he has it in him to play at such a level.

Reactions: BLONG7

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I wish for both Weber and Price requesting a trade within the next 2 years for full and total rebuild.

It might happen. That would be my plan actually if we focus on futures in the next year or two and we don't resurface as a better team with prospects making impacts (Poehling, Mete, Scherbak, Juulsen, Vedjemo, Ikonen, Brook, Bitten, who we get in the next two drafts).

If we are still struggling in 2 or 3 years from now, You then flip Price and Weber for what you can get and it will be significant. By that time, we likely have a larger salary cap due to extra revenue and another expansion team or two. Teams will be able to fit them in.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
9 of Price's wins comes from Carey allowing one goal or less.

13 of Price's losses (14 counting OT/SOL) come from Montreal scoring one goal or less.

Let that sink in a bit.

It tells you clear as day he isn’t the reason this team has no chance of making the playoffs this year. That being said, I’m really hoping he bounces back next year. He hasn’t looked right all season. I’m praying it’s mental and not a large physical decline considering that contract.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

13 of Price's losses (14 counting OT/SOL) come from Montreal scoring one goal or less.

Let that sink in a bit.

It's easy to make numbers look nice though.

In how many of those losses did he allow many goals? Did he lose by allowing 2 goals on 30 shots? Or 5 goals on 18 shots? If he lets in 5 goals on 18 shots, you could say it's demoralizing to the team who doesn't score much after, so the fact that we only scored 1 goal or less is almost moot. And I feel as though he had many of those types of games, where he let in too many goals on too few shots.

I'm not blaming everything on him. But he's having a bad year, and in many games we lost we could have won had he played 'average'. He's very inconsistent. Some games he's great, others he's really bad.

In his first 7 games he had a 920 sv% or above in 2 out of 7 games. 6 losses, 1 victory. He let in 4 goals or more in 4 out of those 7 games. He let in over 2 goals in 7 out of 7 games. In 4 of those games the habs allowed 25 shots or less.

He had a bad start and is having a bad season overall.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
It tells you clear as day he isn’t the reason this team has no chance of making the playoffs this year. That being said, I’m really hoping he bounces back next year. He hasn’t looked right all season. I’m praying it’s mental and not a large physical decline considering that contract.

You say he isnt the reason but you hope he bounces back.

Thats some solid paradox bro.

Reactions: ImNeverWrong

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex

A lot of strange things were going on early in the year. We may never know what. I guess Price was using new pads and he ended up switching them eventually. I think it was the game against the Rangers where he was sliding around like crazy. Maybe he was also out of shape but I think there's more to the story. Also Weber playing on an injured foot for like two months was strange as well. Why weren't they resting? It's October. Early in the year. Why was the team so adamant to play like it's May in October?

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013

Let that sink in a bit.

All this tells us is when hes playing well, we are a winning team.

When he allows 2-3 quick goals, the team stops playing

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

In how many of those losses did he allow many goals? Did he lose by allowing 2 goals on 30 shots? Or 5 goals on 18 shots? If he lets in 5 goals on 18 shots, you could say it's demoralizing to the team who doesn't score much after, so the fact that we only scored 1 goal or less is almost moot. And I feel as though he had many of those types of games, where he let in too many goals on too few shots.

I'm not blaming everything on him. But he's having a bad year, and in many games we lost we could have won had he played 'average'. He's very inconsistent. Some games he's great, others he's really bad.

In his first 7 games he had a 920 sv% or above in 2 out of 7 games. 6 losses, 1 victory. He let in 4 goals or more in 4 out of those 7 games. He let in over 2 goals in 7 out of 7 games. In 4 of those games the habs allowed 25 shots or less.

He had a bad start for sure. But since coming back he's been pretty good. In some of those bad statistical games the club just flat out sucked. Vancouver and Carolina game come immediately to mind. There's nothing any goalie can do there. When you give up grade A chances all night long, some are going in. The numbers will look bad but our goalie actually played well in those games.

Where he can take the rap is in the Edmonton and Islander games. He just gave up soft goals in those ones. So yes, bad season. But this team sucks regardless. And once Weber went down that was the final nail for Price's season. As bad as this team is, at least with Weber out there you've got a decent guy to actually help you. Not having him means more of Benn and other scrubs.

No way to justify that start though. If he wasn't ready, shouldn't have played.

Last edited:

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
All this tells us is when hes playing well, we are a winning team.

No, it very clearly shows that many of Carey's losses came when the team couldn't score to save their lives so it didn't matter how many he allowed.

I don't care if he allows one goal on one shot the whole game. If the team lost 1-0 it ain't on him. It's on the team for not scoring. I will never ever blame a goalie when his team can't score goals. A goalie can allow 30 goals in a game. If the team got shut out, he ain't to blame.

That said, I'm not saying that was the situation every night. This is Price's weakest season since 12-13. But Montreal has a Top 10 powerplay and is 30th in goals for 5on5. They are around the middle of the road for goals against in 5on5, which tells me the problem is in scoring. And that's a problem that begins with how the defence gets the puck to the forwards and how the forwards finish. If this team was Top 10 in 5on5 goals but we still sucked this bad, I would be with folks on Price criticism. That's not the case.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
You say he isnt the reason but you hope he bounces back.

Thats some solid paradox bro.

He isn’t the reason we’re losing games? What paradox are you talking about? He’s had an inconsistent season but even if he was playing the way he has in the past, that wouldn’t change the other flaws within the team. He’s allowed 2 or fewer in 4 of his last 5 starts and has one win to show for it. That’s a reflection of the team, not him. He hasn’t looked like himself this season, but that’s not a scapegoat for the rest of the team. Lindgren played extremely well for us the small stretch he filled in and still had a losing record. The team is garbage and with Price looking human, it’s been completely exposed this year. You want to believe everything is Price’s fault but that’s not the reality no matter how hard you try to convince yourself and other people.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
6 Regulation Loss with 2 or less goals allowed
Price, Bobrovsky and Anderson = 6 Loss
Lehner = 7 Loss

All 4 goalies are out of the playoffs.

in GF
CBJ 25th
MTL 28th
OTT 29th
BUF 31st

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Price is having a really bad season. There's no way around it.

He also had a horrible start. If he had had a better season, we'd still be in the playoff race. If he had had a better start, maybe we don't start the season in a hole and momentum carries us to a better record overall.

Do we lean too much on him? Sure, maybe. But still doesn't change that he's good enough on his own to give us a few more wins, enough to still be in the race.

I just hope he's back to his Vezina/Hart form next year. I still think he has it in him to play at such a level.
He does have it in him, but just think of how discouraging this all is for him..............19 times this season they have scored one goal or less in front of him.................................he has zero room for error, and the team is nothing but a bunch of error.
Thanks Marc..........

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

You’re using Price to deflect the blame away from Bergevin. The team was 2-5 in preseason and it was clear the team was going to have a rough start regardless of Price. Hell, you could see the train wreck coming in July. He took a lions share of the blame for what happened in October, but you’re ignoring the fact the team was just as awful as Price was, and it’s showed throughout the rest of the season. It took a combined effort to have the putrid start we had and the results after that month show it wasn’t a fluke. We’ve played below .500 hockey all year, including after that stretch. That’s not a team that deserves to be in the playoffs.

Reactions: habsgirl5000

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
If he got 5 by the end of the year, the Canadiens would be lucky to win 3 games. They'd lose the others in a shootout with Deslauriers and Froese missing the first two attempts.

woah now... patches will be out and Johnny D so I don' t see how those other two shoot... unless 4 rounds I guess.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
6 Regulation Loss with 2 or less goals allowed
Price, Bobrovsky and Anderson = 6 Loss
Lehner = 7 Loss

All 4 goalies are out of the playoffs.

in GF
CBJ 25th
MTL 28th
OTT 29th
BUF 31st

You best share this with Marc....

apparently you need to score goals to win the game of hockey... who knew!!! :teach2:

Reactions: PaulD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad