GDT: Canes Gone Wild

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
The Staal side story is a distraction from what this was. The Wild are legit, and an under appreciated threat. I wouldn't want to play them in the first two rounds. We sucked but we aren't in their league regardless. They've got a lot of good forwards, and a lot of guys who play both ways hard - with maybe my favorite d core in the league. They're really a "team".

That's our mark and we fall short. Our young D doesn't match up. Our forward group is couple of guys short at least. Ward putting up a stinker doesn't help, but he's prone to these games when you ride him. At least he'll come out to play next game like this didn't happen.

Take a few notes Scotty.

While they're a very solid team, that wasn't an effort you want to see from a team that should be fighting for its playoff lives. This wasn't really a game that I'd place much blame on Cam, and I'm no big fan of him at this point.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I honestly hope he does well, I don't wish anything bad for him and actually root for the Wild a bit now. But when I see people around here wish he was back or think what they see tonight is what he was actually like it's infuriating as a fan. It must burn RF inside out to see this guy playing this way when you seemingly couldn't flog this kind of performance out of him. He's been playing this way pretty much every single game for them. He wasn't for us.

To me it's like the Whaler talk, it's over and there's no reason to beat that horse. Now I'm beating it so I'll shut up and move on.

Tonight was a shit show. Sleep it off and forget it. Unless you're RF, then stay up all night and figure out how to not let this shit happen again.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
While they're a very solid team, that wasn't an effort you want to see from a team that should be fighting for its playoff lives. This wasn't really a game that I'd place much blame on Cam, and I'm no big fan of him at this point.
You're right, just saying we got a good look at what it takes to be a very solid team. Cam lost the puck on the funny bounce, I don't really blame him on that but when a few seconds later WINNIK beats him from that far out clean on a wrister? That's an off night, albeit playing behind a team that's off.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
What the he'll is going on here? Hank arguing with himself? Must be having some sort of break down.

Hank, it will be mkay.

Mmkay?

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
The Eric thing is relevant, because if Eric wasn't quitting (which he wasn't), that means he put up 34 points under Peters in the time he put up 34 goals under BB. If that's the case, it's pretty solid evidence Bill Peters should probably go.

Ignoring Eric's crazy good possession numbers and a sub 2.0 ga/60 in his final season here...

How do other centers produce in Peters system? Jordan, despite centering two 50+ point wingers only has 37 points. Rask went from Eric replacement (shades of McBain means we can get rid of Joni) to calls for a salary dump. Derek Ryan has the 4th best possession numbers in the league among Centers, but is allegedly the worst player ever.

Kruger and McClement went from highly regarded 4th line centers to out of the league.

Aho and Lindholm get random starts at center for 2 minutes before going back to wing.

Something wacky is going on with Peters and the Center position.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Didn't Jordan just have his best two seasons for us under Peters?

It wasn't Peters telling him to never go to the net, to skate to the corner...then slowly work your way along the boards....and then when no other play could possibly happen give it to the point guy who already has someone charging them. Slowly under Peters he has occasionally attempted to play offense. Not nearly enough but better than before Peters was here. I still think he's a pretty massive offensive disappointment, and it's taken league inflation (and other new and exciting horrible contracts) to make his contract not one of the worst in the league.

Yup, Staal had 48 and 45 pts under Peters. Previous "best" was 34....

I for one don't think Ryan is as bad as everyone else does, but I agree we could use a better center than him in his or Rask's spot.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011

It wasn't Peters telling him to never go to the net, to skate to the corner...then slowly work your way along the boards....and then when no other play could possibly happen give it to the point guy who already has someone charging them. Slowly under Peters he has occasionally attempted to play offense. Not nearly enough but better than before Peters was here. I still think he's a pretty massive offensive disappointment, and it's taken league inflation (and other new and exciting horrible contracts) to make his contract not one of the worst in the league.

I for one don't think Ryan is as bad as everyone else does, but I agree we could use a better center than him in his or Rask's spot.

So you're comparing his seasons under Muller (a bad enough coach not to get another head coaching gig)? Also, consider that he got one full season under Muller, and one lockout season under Muller (his point total was projecting to be higher than any Peters season that lockout year). But yes, he probably had his two best seasons under Peters in 4 seasons versus 2 seasons under Muller. Seems like the odds might favor that.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015

His best seasons were in Pitt when he got limited ice team as a 3rd line center?

He's gotten better vs his years under Kirk, but that's cause he gets the most ice time at C as there's no number #1C on this team.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I say bring on the uneventful off-season. The couple of cast off 3rd/4th line "difference makers" sure to be what we need to finally see the post season. The extension to Ward and the ignoring the ~16M elephant sized man in the room. With the bevy of young, talented players we have in the AHL hand picked so masterfully by our great, do no wrong GM, we'll have the depth needed to carry us all the way.

The prices are steep on real talent, but hey we don't need to worry about that. We don't need to spend the money. We have the talent to make the playoffs now, right, and on a budget no less. So hell, by next season all these budget kids are gonna take another step forward, and besides we'll need the money for new contracts. Spending money isn't prudent. Eventually a 50 goal scoring unicorn that poops rainbows, and only needs 4m per is gonna beg us to so sign here. We'll wait. Waiting works.

Oh, and rest assured, we'll upgrade Ryan's position with someone seemingly better, but somehow just as disappointing. That's gonna at least give us a few additional moral victories.

Sorry. I desperately need sleep and to be done with this season already.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
His best seasons were in Pitt when he got limited ice team as a 3rd line center?

He's gotten better vs his years under Kirk, but that's cause he gets the most ice time at C as there's no number #1C on this team.
I was saying his best seasons here have been under Peters. His offense was abysmal his first years here, his numbers reflect it accurately.

You guys want Peters gone, I get it. You may even be right, or he may get fired no matter what now but the narrative about Peters “strangling” the offense out of players is comical. He’s the coach. He doesn’t tell them not to shoot. He doesn’t tell them to miss half empty nets. TT has scored multiple goals on plays where he literally over passed the puck into the net off the other team while looking at the net from five feet away on his forehand. There’s no coach on the planet standing behind that play.

Rask scored almost 50 points under Peters. Skinner was amazing last year, also under Peters a year after some of you were telling me Peters was strangling the offense out of him. Whatever x’s and o’s he’s using it has little to do with our players being bad at offense. They were bad under Mo and Mueller too. This is a team that perennially lacks scoring. They added old man river Williams and brick hands Kruger and when they don’t score more you blame Peters. Please.

Fire him because he hasn’t won enough games. I get it. Life goes on. Don’t tell me he’s teaching guys how not to score.

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
Please stick a fork in...

...this team; they're done.
...the E. Staal talk. By the end, he was terrible for us, and sucked for the Rangers. To keep talking about him is like pining for a high school crush 20 years later. STAHP.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Breakdowns

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Please stick a fork in...

...this team; they're done.
...the E. Staal talk. By the end, he was terrible for us, and sucked for the Rangers. To keep talking about him is like pining for a high school crush 20 years later. STAHP.

giphy.gif

But I bet if she breaks up with her husband who she has an amazing life with, she'll come running back to me over here in loser town, and sign up for more years of a terrible life together.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Really glad I had this on record for this morning. Didn't take long to hit the FF button and then throw the remote down in disgust.

This team makes me experience loathing. I didn't expect them to win this, but once again they face a team that has gotten better and better than the Canes over the years despite having higher draft picks.

And f*** Eric Staal where he breathes. How dare he mail it in here making $9Mill a year and then go somewhere else for a fraction of the price and play every game like its game 7. I'll bet Wild fans don't get tired of staring at his motionless legs as he glides back to the bench on each shift change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad