GDT: Canes Gone Wild

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
Man talk about taking a D straight to the face. Jesus. Peters needs to be fired ASAP.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Again, Staal was paid 9 million dollars to put up 33 points his last season here.

Obviously, he was (and still is) more capable than that.

And people still worship him after that? That's some serious Stockholm syndrome.

Beyond that, even when he got to a playoff team he did nothing of note but took up a stall in the dressing room. It took him essentially getting a "show me" contract below his expected salary to light a fire under his pampered ass. I'm glad to see it did, but Staal's apathy was written all over his ace when he'd lackadaisically skate back to the bench after a lazy penalty or a bad power play. He might slam his stick or kill a rat, but that apathetic Staal face was one that I got way too used to seeing last year.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Again, Staal was paid 9 million dollars to put up 33 points his last season here.

Obviously, he was (and still is) more capable than that.

And people still worship him after that? That's some serious Stockholm syndrome.
I think it's completely fair to question whether it was the player or the coach/system at this point.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I think it's completely fair to question whether it was the player or the coach/system at this point.

It's certainly a fair question, Hank, but one none of us can really answer without having been in the dressing room. That said, it at least appears that people bought into the system last year and that for whatever reason Staal didn't. Whether that was displeasure with Peters's system, with Peters himself, or what none of us will ever know, but it didn't look like the entire team tuned him out.

Beyond that, wasn't it heavily rumored that Staal's displeasure with Muller was part of the reason Muller got canned? Perhaps the thought at that point was it was now fair to assume that it was the player more than the coach after having gone through lollygagging spells with each of Lavi, Mo, Muller, and Peters.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
The one that's constantly regurgitated about how Eric didn't care, it's all his fault he couldn't lead this sad sack of a franchise. That paying him 9 million dollars should make him better than McDavid somehow, and lead this team to the playoffs year after year despite the best player in the league not being able to do it with another similarly incompetent franchise.
He cared. He just didn't care enough until his career was on the line. Then he REALLY cared.

There are two things that look abundantly obvious when you watch him play, and I watched almost every single televised game he ever played for this team.

A) He's playing like lion set free from a cage, which is exactly what it must've felt like to escape this team and the expectations it put on him.

B) He's in better shape at 33-34 for then than he was the last three years he played for us. He's in beast mode which we didn't see at all the last two years at least.

If the expectations are too much for you, don't take all the money. You can't tell me he cared this much his last two years. My girlfriend has been watching the canes since his last two years. She was shocked with me watching tonight.

"I never understood why you used to make such a deal about that guy, he sucked."

"Now I get it. Why wasn't he like that before?"

She had never seen him during his better times.

He mailed it in man. He gave up. He lost heart. Couldn't find his game. Whatever you want to call it. Most of the league wide talk going into that off season after he bombed with the Rangers was wondering if he'd even find a job. That's what you see tonight. Good on him for figuring it out, but screw him as far as being a Cane ever again or wishing he was here now. He was awful when he left. That team is gone and this is our team moving forward whether you like it or not. I would trade Jordan just to get the band aid the rest of the way off.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

If he didn't have a history of streaky, lackluster play over multiple coaches/systems, you'd be right.

Anyone recall where he literally tanked the first 2 months of a season to get Maurice fired? Like, pointless in 18 of the first 26 games, looking completely disinterested. Maurice fired, Muller gets hired, 58 points in the remaining 56 games.

I'm glad he's found his game again. Especially since it's helping my other team. But the Staal that's helping the Wild is completely different from the Staal that left Carolina.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
So, he gave up so much that he played poorly for the Rangers, even though he wanted to go there and they were a playoff team? Perhaps he just had an off year. Sure looks like that. You're free to think he was a scumbag that gave up if you want, but you're not the only one that watched all of his games, and I completely disagree with your assessment and others that have spun that narrative for years.

Is it so hard to believe that being put on a team with better players and a coach that knows how to get more out of his players consistently might actually be the reason why he's playing better, instead of him giving up?

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
He cared. He just didn't care enough until his career was on the line. Then he REALLY cared.

There are two things that look abundantly obvious when you watch him play, and I watched almost every single televised game he ever played for this team.

A) He's playing like lion set free from a cage, which is exactly what it must've felt like to escape this team and the expectations it put on him.

B) He's in better shape at 33-34 for then than he was the last three years he played for us. He's in beast mode which we didn't see at all the last two years at least.

If the expectations are too much for you, don't take all the money. You can't tell me he cared this much his last two years. My girlfriend has been watching the canes since his last two years. She was shocked with me watching tonight.

"I never understood why you used to make such a deal about that guy, he sucked."

"Now I get it. Why wasn't he like that before?"

She had never seen him during his better times.

He mailed it in man. He gave up. He lost heart. Couldn't find his game. Whatever you want to call it. Most of the league wide talk going into that off season after he bombed with the Rangers was wondering if he'd even find a job. That's what you see tonight. Good on him for figuring it out, but screw him as far as being a Cane ever again or wishing he was here now. He was awful when he left. That team is gone and this is our team moving forward whether you like it or not. I would trade Jordan just to get the band aid the rest of the way off.

I guess he did give up on this franchise.

Who wouldn't?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
The Staal side story is a distraction from what this was. The Wild are legit, and an under appreciated threat. I wouldn't want to play them in the first two rounds. We sucked but we aren't in their league regardless. They've got a lot of good forwards, and a lot of guys who play both ways hard - with maybe my favorite d core in the league. They're really a "team".

That's our mark and we fall short. Our young D doesn't match up. Our forward group is couple of guys short at least. Ward putting up a stinker doesn't help, but he's prone to these games when you ride him. At least he'll come out to play next game like this didn't happen.

Take a few notes Scotty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->