Upgrade your account today to enjoy the forums ad-free.
Click here to upgrade: Account Upgrades

GDT: Canes Gone Wild

Discussion in 'Carolina Hurricanes' started by CandyCanes, Mar 6, 2018.

1. geehaad

geehaad Registered User

Just what I'm looking for in a woman.

2. StormCast

StormCast Registered User

Then that'll be five for doing some fighting.

3. MinJaBen

MinJaBen Canes Sharks Boy Sponsor

I don't know, at this point in my life, I'm looking for one who will just make some good biscuits.

4. tarheelhockey

tarheelhockey Highest Boss

[​IMG]

5. StormCast

The actual origin of "come at me bro"...

6. geehaad

geehaad Registered User

If she has to go to Bojangles for hers, it ain't her.

7. StormCast

My stream was jumpy at points in the game last night. What did they say about Eric Staal's fitness and "picking up a step?" He definitely looked like the circa-25 y/o Staal.

8. The Faulker 27

The Faulker 27 FOOT LONG

Router Rebooter
    Meth is a crazy drug.

9. tarheelhockey

They said he is in better shape than ever and clearly has picked up a step, but we should in no way rationally conclude that he was out of shape and lazy for the Hurricanes.

10. StormCast

Thanks. I heard the part about a new fitness regimen.

The fact it though that his conditioning was not very good in Carolina. I'll never forget hearing, from someone who was there, that he came in dead-last in a conditioning test on the bike.

11. tarheelhockey

For the record, I was being (semi) sarcastic. I didn’t catch what they said.

12. StormCast

But can't you just hear Tripp being that kind of over-the-top apologist? I did hear them say it's extremely rare to get a step back in your 30's. Doesn't hurt to play for a fire-wagon proponent like BB either.

13. RodTheBawd

RodTheBawd Registered User

I don't think any of us were referring to Eric's game against us last night, that was as predictable as a BD58 temp ban, but instead are referring to his play since he started in Minny.

14. The Stranger

The Stranger Registered User

The Eric Staal case study continues with good discussion. How much blame do you assign to the organization for not getting production from a clearly talented player...and how much do you blame the player (lack of training, lack of motivation, laziness).

It's not discussed much here, but Eric's injuries in recent years leading up to the 2015-16 season were likely a significant factor in his production dip. Knee injury in the summer of 2013, torn core muscle (surgery) summer of 2014, and broken foot in 2014-15 season (which he played through).

The topic is certainly relevant to the discussion of BP and RF evaluations. Did BP mismanage Eric (moving from center to wing, role on PP, etc)? Did RF do a poor job of understanding/forecasting Eric's future potential? Or, were the tactical and player management decisions the best available at the time and the outcome is just unfortunate for the Canes...process vs results? Can anything be learned here?

Looking back now, it's clear he needed a healthy off-season, a coaching staff that pumped his tires and put him in the right role, and some good wingers....could the Canes have provided these things and had a legit 1C today? As "infuriating" as it is, I say yes.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    Azor Aho, HankAnger, MinJaBen and 2 others like this.
  15. StormCast

You also have to look at the talent surrounding Staal in MN, both on his line, and across the other forward lines, as well as the style of play. BB is much more free-wheeling, a la Lavi, and not quite as concerned with D responsibility as BP is in his system.

16. Joe McGrath

Joe McGrath Registered User

BB is the perfect coach for Staal, or any star player really. Peters is the antithesis. Faulk and Skinner look just like Staal did towards the end here. I look forward to them leaving and being all-stars again in 2 years.

17. tarheelhockey

If only we could have found a star player to lead our team, perhaps we would have gotten the most out of Eric Staal.

18. AD Skinner

AD Skinner Registered User

I don't remember when or who, but I remember a poster on these boards recapping an open session of training camp several years ago claiming that EStaal and Boychuck were clearly dogging all the workouts and not trying. Boychuck being there should give an approximate timeframe but again it's a fuzzy memory of a post I read.

We've all written novels about it here but I think both parties are at fault for Staal's statistical decline. What is the team supposed to do, let the best player they drafted since Francis get offers in free agency they may not match? Got to lock him up. What is the player supposed to do, not sign a 9 million dollar a year contract? Sounds great. But then the reality of not being able to pay anyone else to play with him set in no matter how they bent over backwards trying to find support tailored for him- bringing back Cole, bringing in Jordan, trying to get Semin to work on his wing, etc. and he got old/banged up/complacent. The Kareem Abdul Jabbar scene from Airplane! always goes through my mind when talking about Eric Staal, because it was obvious he wasn't giving 100% effort all the time and seeing how he had the potential to carry the team on his back was so frustrating. I wonder a lot about one different bounce in 08 or 11 if we'd gotten that one extra win to make the playoffs one of those years, what kind of things would be different for the entire organization.

Oh well.

19. Joe McGrath

I still think the organization undersold, the extent of both Staal’s and Cam’s MCL tears. They both opted against surgery to get back quicker and my guess is they both would have been better off getting it. Staal visibly lost a step and Cam had his worst seasons immediately afterwards.

Let’s be clear, Staal wasn’t giving it 100% all the time. He had plenty of faults. He still does. He probably needed to move on to get his **** back together. But how soon are we saying the same thing about Skinner and Faulk? Then is it just bad apples or an organizational failure?

20. tarheelhockey

Considering Skinner gave the best effort of his career in 2017, and got his best results both offensively and defensively, I don't know how we can point to his meh 2018 and say "organizational failure". The same guys were in charge during both seasons, and the interim involved signing a bunch of would-be talent and bringing in a rich new owner. How did the organization fail him over the past 12 months?

Faulk isn't that hard to explain, he's simply not burying his shots at the same rate as he usually does, he lacks the hockey IQ to be a star when he's not scoring goals, and he's no longer skating with a veteran babysitter like Sekera or Hainsey. He'll start scoring again eventually, and I suppose we'll see whether he's content to just be a mindless shooter. Either way, he is what he is and I really don't think effort is the issue with him.

21. Joe McGrath

Because Skinner very visibly gave everything he had last year and this year he magically can’t play at either end of the ice. Something happened. Whether it was the co-captain nonsense, the fact that he’s stapled to two completely terrible centers, or that despite being the best goalscorer the team has he’s relegated to the 2nd PP unit with 4 of the worst PP regulars in the NHL. Can you honestly say he’s being put in a position to succeed?

22. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Registered User

Home Page:
    Whatever "happened" is on Jeff. He just isn't working as hard. Especially in the offensive zone, of all the ironies. When he's an obsessed puck hound, stealing pucks from defenseman he gets the second-fourth chances he normally gets and often scores on. This year he's one and done. If a dman starts curling away from him with the puck, I don't think I've seen him catch more than one or two guys all season to steal it back. When he is on he's the best in the league at it - and he hasn't been on for one single night this season. Was he on the main pp last year? He was stapled to the same terrible centers last year and it didn't matter.

That ain't coaching - that's the player.

I completely agree with Tarheel about Faulk. To me he's bascially exactly how hs is every season, only a little smarter in his own end from the experience. He's just not scoring. When they go in everyone is going to think he looks great again.

Our defense looks off this year because instead of a maybe over utilized steady eddie like Hainsey playing a big role you've got a frazzled Hanifin in the top 4 with ANOTHER rookie in Fleury learning on the job. That's a big step back to me.

23. Joe McGrath

When did the coaches job stop being to motivate players? That’s the last two 30 goal scorers the team has had who have suddenly stopped giving a **** under Peters.

24. bleedgreen

Home Page:
    Well isn't this the Skinner we saw the year before? The guy has high level consistency issues.

And to be honest I've always struggled with the "it's on the coach to get guys up for games". I mean there should be a certain level of pushing button but it's on the multi million dollar athlete to show up and play a kids game like he means it. Let him switch places for me for a couple of weeks.

He plays the guy on the third line, that should be a motivation enough shouldnt it? I used to complain about it too, but then I really gave Skinner a deeper look and the guy loses the puck on more unforced errors than any other top 6 forward I can think of. How can you rely on that? I like letting scorers do their thing to some extent, and don't expect them to be the biggest back checkers but Skinner loses the puck skating through neutral ice without anyone within ten feet of him. He can be a force cycling out of the corner, stealing lose pucks from guys who think they stole it from him....but he has trouble not dropping the puck through center ice unmolested. He drives you nuts.

25. bleedgreen

Home Page:
    Staal not giving a **** to me is the end of a long disappointing run with this team that has way more to do with the overall level of success vs the last coach. He had burned out here. For whatever reason he just needed to move on. I don't think that had a single thing to do with Peters. He'd seen coaches come and go with the team not getting any better and it was always his fault. He didn't want to do it anymore.