C/RW Mitch Marner - London Knights, OHL (2015, 4th, TOR) V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
Completely dominating the best teams in the OHL will help elevate your stock. Ranking up numbers vs the Sudbury's and Guelph's of the league is one thing. Putting up almost 3 ppg in back to back series vs two of the best teams in the OHL shows he can dominate even the toughest competition in the league. Very few guys can say the same.

He's still putting up pts in junior with two top ten picks on his line. It's obviously impressive but I don't see how it predicts NHL success.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He's still putting up pts in junior with two top ten picks on his line. It's obviously impressive but I don't see how it predicts NHL success.
Dvorak isn't a top ten pick, he was picked in the late 2nd. He also put up alot of points last year with Rupert and Dvorak as his line, and did it in the playoffs last year with Rupert and Sterk on his line. My guess is though you have no intention of looking at this objectively. Gotta love the factual incorrect statements you make to.

Edit: Look at the list of players who broke 2ppg in the OHL while leading there team in points at 17, it consists of Lindros, McDavid, Thornton, Tavares, and Marc Savard, (make it draft year and it add Kane and Spezza had the highest PPG on both teams was traded mid year) or how about guys who put up 2ppg in consecutive years, its just him and Tavares.

Last edited:

Kyle93

Mar 30, 2012

Dvorak was a 2nd rounder, but yes Tkachuk is a most likely top 10 pick.

Or were you talking about last year? Nah looks like Domi was picked 12. Nice try though :sarcasm:

BigGreenAlum

May 4, 2007
Dvorak isn't a top ten pick, he was picked in the late 2nd. He also put up alot of points last year with Rupert and Dvorak as his line, and did it in the playoffs last year with Rupert and Sterk on his line. My guess is though you have no intention of looking at this objectively. Gotta love the factual incorrect statements you make to.

Edit: Look at the list of players who broke 2ppg in the OHL while leading there team in points at 17, it consists of Lindros, McDavid, Thornton, Tavares, and Marc Savard, (make it draft year and it add Kane and Spezza had the highest PPG on both teams was traded mid year) or how about guys who put up 2ppg in consecutive years, its just him and Tavares.

Tony Tanti was also in 17 year old 2 ppg crowd...

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Tony Tanti was also in 17 year old 2 ppg crowd...
Meant to add a qualifier of the last 30 years, but thanks for adding Tony Tanti. The modern set up the OHL I don't think was fully set up back then, plus it was 80's scoring was absolutely insane at that point. But thanks to going back to an era where regionial restrictions weren't in place (hence Hawerchuk and other talented players went to the Q).

Edit: Also very selective choice why not also list Brian Bellows? or did that not fit your agenda........

Last edited:

BigGreenAlum

May 4, 2007
Meant to add a qualifier of the last 30 years, but thanks for adding Tony Tanti. The modern set up the OHL I don't think was fully set up back then, plus it was 80's scoring was absolutely insane at that point. But thanks to going back to an era where regionial restrictions weren't in place (hence Hawerchuk and other talented players went to the Q).

Edit: Also very selective choice why not also list Brian Bellows? or did that not fit your agenda........

I just remembered Tony Tanti was a great junior scorer and looked up his stats - simple as that.

Mar 12, 2009

Strong opinion, 2 sentence post...and you can't even get simple facts straight? That's pretty sad.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Any chance he stays in Junior?

There are very few players who would not benefit from another year of junior, but Marner is the exception.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

There are very few players who would not benefit from another year of junior, but Marner is the exception.
There's a chance but I don't expect it. Barring an absolutely disastrous camp, he will get 9 games to prove himself in the sheltered middle 6 line, with 2nd line PP time. Leafs are fairly deep at wing, and barring a trade he will have to take a spot from another young guy trying to make the team. Personally, I think he makes the team full time. A summer focused on adding some lower body and core strength should allow him to play in the NHL next year. Unless Leafs brass still sees him as a center long-term, I don't think there is anything he can learn in London (and even then its still questionable).

I do think the Leafs may move a winger or two soon, but trading either JVR or Komarov (who I'm convinced is staying due to his ability to take the foreign rookies under his wing, especially if we get one of the Finns), would be the moving piece, and are probably needed to make life easier for the Kids. There might be a buyer out there for Michaelak at 50% retained. I'm pretty sure Marner will be with the team, but there are alot of unresolved question marks that stop it from being a sure thing entering camp. Some question's will be answered on Saturday, with that question definitively answered at the draft and on July 1st.

stavs*

Oct 11, 2010
Toronto

The only benefit to him would be adding size and strength, otherwise there is no benefit to him staying in the OHL. He will have access to the best off ice and strength training coaches at his disposable in the NHL to help with that. He needs to start learning the game at a professional level, and is as ready as can be to start doing that. Only an extreme minority think Marner will stay back in the OHL for another year on the Leafs board, and almost everyone thinks he will be in the NHL next year. He has the IQ, elusiveness and agility to translate most of his game to the NHL right now.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
No need to get worked up... Anyone who has seen him play knows he is a gem... Exciting times

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
37 points in 14 games is incredible. But becomes alot less impressive when you consider his linemates has 4 less points than him and is also technically on verge of history. And also another linemate is near 2 ppg.
Agree

A real shame hockey can't be played 1 on 5

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
37 points in 14 games is incredible. But becomes alot less impressive when you consider his linemates has 4 less points than him and is also technically on verge of history. And also another linemate is near 2 ppg.

I mean when McDavid did it last year, Strome had only 22 point in 20 games and the next highest player had 24 points to his 49

Yeah, it really sucks that good players make others around them better. The OHL needs a new rule where two people on a line both can't be good. :sarcasm:

Not Marners fault Strome doesn't have the offense that he does either.

MarryMarner

Mar 31, 2008
How anyone can find a way to bash this kid right now is beyond me. He's no McDavid, so as a Leafs fan lets go on record saying that.
But it's not ridiculous to say his ceiling is Patrick Kane, and he has a good chance to hit his ceiling based on his current play.

Mad Brills*

I'm not expecting him to be close to mcdavid.

I think he can score 35-40 points next year with decent linemates.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
It's funny isn't it? I bet Dvorak is more lilely to be be a disappointment than Marner. Marner has also been proven to be the driving player on his line.

The amount of times Marner does all the work for tap ins from the other two don't reflect on stat sheets.

You're doing a disservice to Dvorák. That kid is phenomenal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad