C/RW Mitch Marner - London Knights, OHL (2015, 4th, TOR) V

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMLeafs18

Aug 7, 2015
Canada
Pretty brutal series by Erie. Nothing like the regular season games between these 2. London has been on fire especially the top line. I was really looking forward to an epic 7 game series. Cant win many games with an .841 save percentage.

Quite something that 2 points tonight actually drops Marners' playoff average :0

Marners line was dominate, they over powered Williams, and Strome and his line didn't show up. Hopefully the next series against the ice dogs is more interesting because this was a major let down.

stavs*

Oct 11, 2010
Toronto
Marners line was dominate, they over powered Williams, and Strome and his line didn't show up. Hopefully the next series against the ice dogs is more interesting because this was a major let down.

didn't show up is putting it nicely. They were ghosts all series and were expected to go head to head with the knights top line. They produced relatively NOTHING

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Can't say he had a poor series in any degree. Marner and his line showed up and they didn't mess around.

Has been a pretty spectacular playoff run for Marner individually. Let's see how he does in the next one :).

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
As much as I liked Marner dominating, it was an extremely disappointing series in terms of competitiveness. The Otters were completely outplayed.

Hopefully, Niagara will prove to be a tougher test (with Marner dominating and London winning, of course ;).

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Can't wait for the Marner vs Strome showdown. That series between London and Erie is going to be fantastic. I think London in 6 and Marner with 7 goals 10 assists and 17 points in the series and Strome with 5 goals 6 assists for 11 points.

Marner had a great series. I thought for sure it would go at least 6 games though. London just steamrolled Erie. In my prediction his ppg would have been 2.83 ppg, and people thought that was too high. His actual stats exceeded what I thought with 12 pts in 4 gp, put him at 3 ppg for the series.

I was way off on Strome, lol.

Just for fun I think London will win against Niagara in 5 games and Marner will have 5 goals and 10 assists for 15 pts to beat the OHL points record. Curious to hear the predictions of others given what he has done so far this postseason.

TMLeafs18

Aug 7, 2015
Canada
I think London in 6 with Marner scoring 12 points 4 goals 8 assists.

The ice dogs have been rolling and you would have to think they are going to show up for this series to put up a fight. The big reason for the dip in point total and the reason it goes six is because they have very strong goaltending which Erie didn't have during their series. Overall London is just too deep and that first line is on another level for them to lose.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
To put things in perspective Marner's career PPG average in the ohl playoffs is higher than Wayne Gretzky and Connor McDavid.

He's performing like a generational level talent right now.
Wayne Gretzky played one year at 16, McDavid is the same age as Marner and didn't play an 18 year old year in the OHL. What he's doing right now is beyond impressive, but I wouldn't throw around that term generational. Thats meant for a guy who has been so dominant from a young age and lives up to the hype, the Gretzky, Lindros's and McDavids in regard to people from Ontario. What Marner is doing right now is insane, but remember the record for OHL points is held by Justin Papineau. If Marner continues this type of pace through Niagara, his 18 year old year will be comparable to Kane's (who had a ridiculous regular season PPG, but slowed down in the playoffs to just below 2PPG). And while Kane is an amazing player, I don't think anyone was calling him generational at the time, and no one was calling Justin Papineau generational.

stavs*

Oct 11, 2010
Toronto
Niagara has had good goaltending these playoffs, but I think the Marner line is the perfect combo to break that goalie.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Niagara has had good goaltending these playoffs, but I think the Marner line is the perfect combo to break that goalie.
If any player and line can bust their way past good goaltending it's Marner and the guys on his line :).

That is one scary line to deal with.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Wayne Gretzky played one year at 16, McDavid is the same age as Marner and didn't play an 18 year old year in the OHL. What he's doing right now is beyond impressive, but I wouldn't throw around that term generational. Thats meant for a guy who has been so dominant from a young age and lives up to the hype, the Gretzky, Lindros's and McDavids in regard to people from Ontario. What Marner is doing right now is insane, but remember the record for OHL points is held by Justin Papineau. If Marner continues this type of pace through Niagara, his 18 year old year will be comparable to Kane's (who had a ridiculous regular season PPG, but slowed down in the playoffs to just below 2PPG). And while Kane is an amazing player, I don't think anyone was calling him generational at the time, and no one was calling Justin Papineau generational.

Kane is arguably the most skilled player in the NHL and just won the Art Ross trophy not to mention 3 Stanley Cups. I think it's safe to say leaf fans would be thrilled if Marner = Kane.

Justin Papineau's career PPG in the OHL playoffs is 1.72 which is below Marner. Not a valid comparison and he was a second round pick. Marner is on the same level as Doug Gilmour, Eric Lindros, McDavid, Gretzky etc. in his playoff performance.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Kane is arguably the most skilled player in the NHL and just won the Art Ross trophy not to mention 3 Stanley Cups. I think it's safe to say leaf fans would be thrilled if Marner = Kane.

Justin Papineau's career PPG in the OHL playoffs is 1.72 which is below Marner. Not a valid comparison and he was a second round pick. Marner is on the same level as Doug Gilmour, Eric Lindros, McDavid, Gretzky etc. in his playoff performance.
Outside of Gilmour, all were done with jr hockey at Marner's age. Gretzky's 16 year old year kills Marner's 16 year old year, McDavid's 16 and 17 year old year beats Marner's 16 and 17 year old years, Lindros 17 year old year is better than Marner's 17 year old year. Comparing these guys playoffs career ppg is not a like for like comparison.

Marner is an amazing prospect, but those guys where viewed as first overall picks at the age of 14, the gap between them and any pick after them is as big as the gap between a 4th overall and a 2nd rounder. I'm a huge Marner fan, but I'd avoid throwing around the term generational. Its just over the top, what he's doing is insanely impressive, and he has the talent to be an elite player at the NHL level. But I'd say to have a reasonable discussion about his potential of skill its pointless to throw around names like Gretzky, McDavid, and Lindros or the term generational. Be happy we look to have the best prospect the Leafs have had in decades, but he does not belong in the discussion with arguably the 3 most talented players to ever step on the ice in the OHA/OHL in the last 50 years.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Where would Marner go in this years draft? #1?

Depends.

Is this assuming he'd put up this year's numbers as a 17 year old? If that is the case, he'd definitely push for #2.

I still feel Matthews goes 1 regardless and Laine has been brilliant too.

Marner would trump Puljujarvi for sure IMO.

BigGreenAlum

May 4, 2007
To put things in perspective Marner's career PPG average in the ohl playoffs is higher than Wayne Gretzky and Connor McDavid.

He's performing like a generational level talent right now.

Well his line's shooting percentage is certainly generational in the playoffs. 41 goals on 152 shots for 27% for the trio. Marner alone has SP of 30% with 15 goals on 50 shots. Anyone who watched all 3 Knights series have insight on how bad the opposing team D and goaltending were?

Last edited:

Mad Brills*

So damn good. Better prospect than nylander and that's saying a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad