C Nolan Patrick - Brandon Wheat Kings, WHL (2017, 2nd, PHI) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
He probably has something going on mouth related and since the Philly media is foaming out the mouth to see him on the ice, they just wanted to shut them up for the day.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I wish him the best in his career but Flyer fans really need to temper their expectations of this kid.

Christ...most are saying he is likely a 60 point 2way C during his prime years with a few that could be higher than that. That's not unreasonable at all.

And people have used comparisons of a better defensive Monahan. Or a bit more physical Turris.

And mist have him starting on our #3 line that will be sheltered by Couts and Giroux.

Not sure what expectations you are referring to.

HokieDude17

Feb 8, 2016
Hampstead, MD
What I can't figure out is why they even announced this. Dev camp is over. So anyone have a clue what they are trying to do here? Is he back home? Still in Philly? Not skating what, his summer training?

I believe he said in an interview at camp that he was staying in the area over the summer to train at the team's practice facility.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Ok..I took your advice.

2005 Pittsburgh, Washington, Chicago
2006 Pitt, LA, Chicago
2007 St.L Chicago, Phoenix
2008 St.L, LA, CBus
2009 not showing up on google
2010 Nashville, LA, St.L
2011 Florida, Ottawa, NYI
2012 Minny, Florida, Edmonton
2013 Tampa, Buffalo, Anaheim
2014 Winnipeg, Montreal, Arizona
2015 AZ, Winnipeg, Buffalo

Nope....don't see your point. I see Stanley Cup Champs, runners up, final 4 teams, President Tropy winners and some others who are up and comers. Only a few who I would say have disappointed and ironically, they have had **** management...sorry Phoenix, Florida and NYI. But their fans likely agree at their mgt held them back.

Yea those teams are pretty good there. Something like 8 cups? I also see a ton of tank. For the flyers to get to this point this quickly without tanking is amazing no matter what. That can't be discredited. They are literally in the best position possible. Obviously anything can happen. But with the number of guys they have they are likely to have plenty that overachieve balancing out those that under achieve. It only gets better next year.

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
On the plus side, this facial infection has turned the thread back to Nolan, rather than the merits of the Flyer's (frankly scary) prospect pool.

On the less positive side,

this poor ****ing guy

Willis88

Oct 5, 2011
Philadelphia
What I can't figure out is why they even announced this. Dev camp is over. So anyone have a clue what they are trying to do here? Is he back home? Still in Philly? Not skating what, his summer training?

The Philly media has been relentlessly taking to twitter to hype up him returning to the ice even if it's just to skate on his own. If they were more vague about keeping him off the ice, then the media would eat it up, as they always do here in Philly. I think they wanted to avoid saying it's an UBI, so that the media lays off him.

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
How is Patrick as a skater? I've heard various accounts of his skating throughout the years. Some saying that he was just average to below average and it was not a strong suit for him to more recent sources saying he is above average and has good speed. Which one is more true?

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
average to above average tbh
let's say this: his skating is neither really a positive attribute or a detriment.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
How is Patrick as a skater? I've heard various accounts of his skating throughout the years. Some saying that he was just average to below average and it was not a strong suit for him to more recent sources saying he is above average and has good speed. Which one is more true?

Interesting you asked, Foggy14 just posted this on the Flyers boards:

Robby Glantz, a power skating coach who's worked with a lot of well-known pros, had an interesting segment on the NHL Network before the draft. He broke down the skating styles and abilities of Patrick and Hischier. He had this to say about Nolan:

"Patrick is a taller player and glides more on top of the ice, gets to top speed sneaky fast. You don't realize how fast he is. It's like a lot of mass in motion there and once he gets going, on top of the ice, a beautiful skater."

I think RebelBully's comparison to Tavares is a good one. Two other comparables that Glantz mentioned were Ryan Johansen and Ryan Getzlaf. That would be just fine.

Here's a link to the Glantz interview:

https://www.nhl.com/video/nhl-now-gl...912/c-52252403

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Every time I've seen Patrick play I never felt his skating was a problem. There are guys who have had succes in the NHL who aren't as good skaters as Patrick.

Personally with the way today's NHL is I feel the best skaters have the edge but if your a high IQ player you don't have to be an amazing skater.

As an Islanders fan Tavares is a perfect example. While he has improved his skating leaps and bounds since entering the league, he's still not the best or most explosive skater. His hands and intelligence is what carries him. He's always 3 steps ahead and can read the game. Patrick might not be on the same level as a Tavares in that department but I feel he will play a similar game.

For the record, and they're both worthy players but I would have taken Patrick #1.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Every time I've seen Patrick play I never felt his skating was a problem. There are guys who have had succes in the NHL who aren't as good skaters as Patrick.

Personally with the way today's NHL is I feel the best skaters have the edge but if your a high IQ player you don't have to be an amazing skater.

As an Islanders fan Tavares is a perfect example. While he has improved his skating leaps and bounds since entering the league, he's still not the best or most explosive skater. His hands and intelligence is what carries him. He's always 3 steps ahead and can read the game. Patrick might not be on the same level as a Tavares in that department but I feel he will play a similar game.

For the record, and they're both worthy players but I would have taken Patrick #1.

Skating will be the one skill that could take patrick from just another guy to a standout. I agree Today's nhl is all about skating.

evnted

Apr 14, 2016

good skater. his acceleration isn't completely there so he might seem slower at times than he really is but his top end speed is perfectly fine

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
good skater. his acceleration isn't completely there so he might seem slower at times than he really is but his top end speed is perfectly fine

Funny enough I'd switch them around. I think his acceleration can be really sneaky good but he can top out a little too quick, not that it isn't respectable/above average. But with how he reads the play and engages physically, he can have a real predatory first couple strides.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009

Patrick should actually work out with Tavares, JT is a beast on those skates. Based on what I saw from Patrick in this rookie game, being a bull on his skates would go a long way for him.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I still think there's some draft recency bias going on here. I mean, Patrick is never going to be able to skate like McDavid, but will that prevent him from being an NHL star? No.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
His skating is fine. It won't be elite, or even high-end, but he's more than effective. He's not entering the league like Tavares, Kopitar, Monahan, Reinhart, and Draisaitl were, who had significant flaws to fix. I'd assume most realistic Flyers fans are hoping for a Toews like number 1 center that you can build a contender around, but probably isn't viewed as a top 5 center in the league without serious team based accomplishments.

I think he more likely falls into a Monahan type player, which is a solid 10-20C in the leauge who is good enough to build around.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
He was training with Toews a few weeks ago.

That's good, it's smart to surround yourself with the better players in the league IMO. Even Taylor Hall worked with Tavares and Dawn Braid for power skating training.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad