HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Any of you interested in packaging our second first next year on top of the WPG pick this year?

1. WPG 2024 1st round pick
  2. CAL/FLA 2025 1st round pick
  3. Mailloux/Mesar or both
That’s should be enough for a good young top 6 forward, no? Of course depending on who’s available...

And in case no young nhl forward are ready, do you think that offer would be good enough to get a second top 15 pick in this year draft?
I wouldn't trade any picks from '25 draft. Until deadline at least, when have better idea where pick might be at.

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Any of you interested in packaging our second first next year on top of the WPG pick this year?

1. WPG 2024 1st round pick
  2. CAL/FLA 2025 1st round pick
  3. Mailloux/Mesar or both
That’s should be enough for a good young top 6 forward, no? Of course depending on who’s available...

And in case no young nhl forward are ready, do you think that offer would be good enough to get a second top 15 pick in this year draft?

I would think some teams highly value Mailloux. I think he does get us into the top 15, I'm not sure I would want to trade him for 15th OA. It depends who is still on the board.

In terms of dmen trade value, I think it goes in this order:

Reinbacher
Guhle
Hutson
Mailloux
Matheson
Xhekaj
Savard
Engstrom
Struble
Barron
Harris
Kovacevic

In terms of value to us, projecting their careers, it's very hard to do. How good will Hutson and Mailloux be? How do weigh Xhekaj's toughness versus Mailloux's offense and skating? But I have Hutson 1, Reinbacher 2, and Guhle 3.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
I would think some teams highly value Mailloux. I think he does get us into the top 15, I'm not sure I would want to trade him for 15th OA. It depends who is still on the board.

In terms of dmen trade value, I think it goes in this order:

Reinbacher
Guhle
Hutson
Mailloux
Matheson
Xhekaj
Savard
Engstrom
Struble
Barron
Harris
Kovacevic

In terms of value to us, projecting their careers, it's very hard to do. How good will Hutson and Mailloux be? How do weigh Xhekaj's toughness versus Mailloux's offense and skating? But I have Hutson 1, Reinbacher 2, and Guhle 3.
Matheson would get us the most after the season he just had. We’re talking a top prospect and a good 1st. For example, theoretically if Buffalo wanted a pmd, they would give up a first for him to get a lot closer to win now mode.

The thing is, Kent generally doesn’t treat people like assets. He treats them as emotional beings whose desires are valid. If Matheson doesn’t want to be traded, he probably stays. Kent might tell Matheson he needs to make room for younger players amd that he has to move him, and then he would try to find a fit where Matheson chooses, which may not be Buffalo (or whomever can offer us the best package).

Longterm, treating players with respect will benefit the team as it will attract free agents.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Looking at teams like Boston, Vegas, Florida, Rangers, Jets in playoffs and considering the fact that we already have Caufield and Hutson in our system, could we please just stop talking about Zegras trade? There are certain elements that bring you success in NHL playoffs and having bunch of one-dimensional offensive players is certainly not the case.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Matheson would get us the most after the season he just had. We’re talking a top prospect and a good 1st. For example, theoretically if Buffalo wanted a pmd, they would give up a first for him to get a lot closer to win now mode.

The thing is, Kent generally doesn’t treat people like assets. He treats them as emotional beings whose desires are valid. If Matheson doesn’t want to be traded, he probably stays. Kent might tell Matheson he needs to make room for younger players amd that he has to move him, and then he would try to find a fit where Matheson chooses, which may not be Buffalo (or whomever can offer us the best package).

Longterm, treating players with respect will benefit the team as it will attract free agents.

- I disagree that Matheson gets us a prospect like Hutson or Reinbacher, or a young player like Guhle.

- Hughes would trade Matheson if he thought it would benefit the team. he'd just make sure it was to a destination Matheson would be happy with.

- Buffalo doesn't need LD's. They already had Power and Dahlin and they just added Byram. I know you said Buffalo may not need Matheson. But it begs the question, who does? And who is willong to give up a lot to get him?

I'm actually really excited to see Matheson have a season where he's not the only one carrying the offensive load. I really want to see this dcore next year:

Matheson Guhle
Hutson Savard
Xhekaj Barron/Struble/Harris/Kovacevic/Mailloux/Reinbacher

Last edited:
Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Teams who will need Matheson: The ones getting injuries on their left side.

Otherwise, he's not moving next season, but the one after.

I'm not sure Matheson is moving next season.

I could see us going with the following dcore long term:

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Mailloux

If we deviate from that, it may be more due to the salary cap than it not being good enough to win a championship.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I'm not sure Matheson is moving next season.

I could see us going with the following dcore long term:

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Mailloux

If we deviate from that, it may be more due to the salary cap than it not being good enough to win a championship.
I don't see Matty being here long term but I guess if we keep him throughout his contract and he takes a friendly deal, anything is possible.

I can't see Guhle staying on the right side for the long term either at least I hope not as we wouldn't be utilizing him to his full capacity imo.

I do like Arber on the 3rd pairing. I think he's most effective at that spot.

In terms of Lane, Reinbacher and Logan...I just haven't seen enough of them to peg them anywhere for the long term at this point. Reinbacher has all the makings of a stalwart for us.

For this year alone I want our 3 LD to be Matheson, Guhle and Arber. Who and where the others fit in on the right side is still up in the air. Savard has a spot for sure, just waiting for the other two. I wouldn't doubt there could be a move or two made this summer to free up some spots.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I don't see Matty being here long term but I guess if we keep him throughout his contract and he takes a friendly deal, anything is possible.

I can't see Guhle staying on the right side for the long term either at least I hope not as we wouldn't be utilizing him to his full capacity imo.

I do like Arber on the 3rd pairing. I think he's most effective at that spot.

In terms of Lane, Reinbacher and Logan...I just haven't seen enough of them to peg them anywhere for the long term at this point. Reinbacher has all the makings of a stalwart for us.

For this year alone I want our 3 LD to be Matheson, Guhle and Arber. Who and where the others fit in on the right side is still up in the air. Savard has a spot for sure, just waiting for the other two. I wouldn't doubt there could be a move or two made this summer to free up some spots.

- For sure I need to see more of the young guys to say definitively that that could be a dcore of a contender. But it is what I would project and then you make changes as needed.

- I definitely have Hutson as my #2 LD going into camp. It's his spot to lose.

Last edited:

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Why would Calgary do that?? Loo
and Habs wouldn't do it either. Even though i am a big Andersson fan and think we will need a guy exactly like him, those 4 extra years on Hubby contract are just a killer for our contending window. We just can't take him.

Would you guys do

MTL : Gallagher + Anderson
for
CGY : Huby
Absolutely not. There will be only 1 year left on Anderson's and Gally's contracts when we enter our contending window. And one of them could easily be bought if needed that last summer.

Like i said, Huberdeau's contract is a killer for the 4 extra years he has on them. It would force us to sacrifice on the younger players we will need to resign.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
- For sure I need to see more of the young guys to say definitively that that could be a dcore of a contender. But it is what I would project and then you make changes as needed.

- I definitely have Hutson as my #2 RD going into camp. It's his spot to lose.
Has Lane ever played RD? I assume it's just an error and you meant LD but just making sure

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Looking at teams like Boston, Vegas, Florida, Rangers, Jets in playoffs and considering the fact that we already have Caufield and Hutson in our system, could we please just stop talking about Zegras trade? There are certain elements that bring you success in NHL playoffs and having bunch of one-dimensional offensive players is certainly not the case.
Caufield and Hutson are NOT one dimensional. They are not the best defensivley but not one dimensional and they can help the offensive in several ways.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Why would Calgary do that?? Loo
why would mtl do that Gallagher and Anderson contracts have 3 years on them. Huberdeau has 7 left at 9.5M if 1 m retained. awful for Mtl.

Calgary would do it to get out of that contract and get their pick back

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
why would mtl do that Gallagher and Anderson contracts have 3 years on them. Huberdeau has 7 left at 9.5M if 1 m retained. awful for Mtl.

Calgary would do it to get out of that contract and get their pick back
I'm assuming it's got more to do with the fact that Calgary is including their stud dman making peanuts in this trade for whatever reason.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
I'm assuming it's got more to do with the fact that Calgary is including their stud dman making peanuts in this trade for whatever reason.
It helps, but a stud d making peanuts is not enough to overcome the risk in 7 years of an already declining asset that even with 1M retained is eating up more than 10% of your Cap

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad