C Nolan Patrick - Brandon Wheat Kings, WHL (2017, 2nd, PHI) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
His skating is fine. It won't be elite, or even high-end, but he's more than effective. He's not entering the league like Tavares, Kopitar, Monahan, Reinhart, and Draisaitl were, who had significant flaws to fix. I'd assume most realistic Flyers fans are hoping for a Toews like number 1 center that you can build a contender around, but probably isn't viewed as a top 5 center in the league without serious team based accomplishments.

I think he more likely falls into a Monahan type player, which is a solid 10-20C in the leauge who is good enough to build around.

You nailed it..though if a guy like Draisaitl can get into the top 10 in scoring after a few years of seasoning, so can Patrick.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It's basically a guarantee he makes the Flyers out of camp, right? (barring injury)

He won't be gifted a spot but should be one of the top 9 forwards in camp so he will make the team. Although it was just a rookie game, you could tell on Wednesday that he sees the ice and thinks the game at an NHL level.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Nolan Patrick has arrived!

Just set up Ghost for an OT winner

Last edited:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Good to see Patrick playing well. All around complete player, high hockey IQ, excellent shot, etc.

I had him #1 on my list but I'm admittedly WHL biased.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
Yup it sure was. His passing has been better than advertised. Hasnt had a lot of opportunity to use that nasty shot yet though.

His vision and passing has always been great, just watch 2 years ago how many beauty assists he made to hawryluk.....

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yup it sure was. His passing has been better than advertised. Hasnt had a lot of opportunity to use that nasty shot yet though.

If you would have been in his first thread months ago I could have told you he has great vision and passing abilities. They aren't flashy, just effective. Slick shooter too.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
He made an even prettier saucer pass earlier in the game that made me sit up in my seat. It was from in tight at the bottom of the circle to Lindblom right in front of the net. It didn't result in a goal but its rare to see a saucer pass with such little time and space, and it almost looked like a trick play.

C0DITH

Apr 30, 2017
He will never have the flash and dash of Nico or players of that type, but I am telling you right now, these are the players that win championships.....they are the Kopitars/Toews/Bergeron types. Watching him battle 3 guys along the board so his team can get a change in....watching his hunger on each play.....just wait until he gets that confidence going to start using that unreal wrist shot of his. Also.....wait until he is on the ice at the same time as guys like Giroux/Voracek/Simmonds....(who haven't even played a game yet).

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
He made an even prettier saucer pass earlier in the game that made me sit up in my seat.

That one was pretty slick.

As discussed over on the Flyers Board, he also made a really heady play tying up a couple Islanders until his guys could complete a change. Smart kid.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
That one was pretty slick.

As discussed over on the Flyers Board, he also made a really heady play tying up a couple Islanders until his guys could complete a change. Smart kid.

My god kid is freaking HUGE

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I can see this one opening up a debate of should he have gone #1 this summer. Many instances the #2 pick has often outshone the #1 pick in the NHL draft.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I think Hischier has nothing to worry about in that department. He is going to be a good one for sure as is patrick.

Agree..Hischier is gonna be a good one. His first preseason goal was fantastic.

NJ and Philly really lucked out in that lottery.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
He will never have the flash and dash of Nico or players of that type, but I am telling you right now, these are the players that win championships.....they are the Kopitars/Toews/Bergeron types. Watching him battle 3 guys along the board so his team can get a change in....watching his hunger on each play.....just wait until he gets that confidence going to start using that unreal wrist shot of his. Also.....wait until he is on the ice at the same time as guys like Giroux/Voracek/Simmonds....(who haven't even played a game yet).

I thought he looked eerily similar to Kopitar last night, especially on the defensive side of the puck. He really analyzes the play well. He saved a goal on a great back-check earlier in the game. As others mentioned, he occupied 2 Islanders for what felt like forever so they could complete a line change. He is in the right place at the right time on just about every shift. When he gets his skating up to speed and is more assertive offensively, he is going to be a good one.

I think his production will be modest the 1st half of the season as he adjusts to the speed of the NHL..and then you will start to see him start to break through in the 2nd half.

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
Agree..Hischier is gonna be a good one. His first preseason goal was fantastic.

NJ and Philly really lucked out in that lottery.

Was just about to say, lets not turn this into a who should have gone #1 vs. #2.

Nico is gonna be fantastic and is what NJ needed. His dynamic play, hands, speed, defense, hockey sense etc all were on display during his first preseason game. Patrick will also be fantastic for Philly. Everything worked out for both these teams. Win win for both!

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
His passing has always been amazing. I was at a game in Brandon where he had about a 2 foot high sauce pass go from one side of the ice to the other to Clague.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad