C Nolan Patrick - Brandon Wheat Kings, WHL (2017, 2nd, PHI) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
What are these other teams going to do, exactly. Spear him in the groin every game?

You can ask Ryan Johansson about that. My point being that unfortunately there is some of that from time to time. I don't think it is constant but it can happen. With any luck Patrick will stay reasonably healthy and be the player he is capable of being. Despite the unfavorable comparisons to recent top picks I think he still projects to be an excellent NHL player.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Patrick wont even be better thsn Coutourier.

Injuries will limit his career. The surgeries he has done already before the age of 20 are no joke.

I dont see his body holding up to an 82 game season then playoffs. Especially when the other teams k ow to target his fragility.

I would have traded out of the 2 spot and into the 5-12 range if i was the flyers and let someone else take all the risk. They would have still been able to draft pettersson glass or mittlestadt if they were hell bent on a Center.

By this logic the Oilers should have traded back instead of taking McDavid.

He had a hand injury before getting drafted so better to take a clearly worse player.

:laugh:

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
By this logic the Oilers should have traded back instead of taking McDavid.

He had a hand injury before getting drafted so better to take a clearly worse player.

:laugh:

Yes because a broken hand (bone) is the same as sports hernia and torn groin and abdominal issues.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Patrick wont even be better thsn Coutourier.

Injuries will limit his career. The surgeries he has done already before the age of 20 are no joke.

I dont see his body holding up to an 82 game season then playoffs. Especially when the other teams k ow to target his fragility.

I would have traded out of the 2 spot and into the 5-12 range if i was the flyers and let someone else take all the risk. They would have still been able to draft pettersson glass or mittlestadt if they were hell bent on a Center.

They were not hell bent on a center, it just so happened he was their top rated player in the draft when it was their turn to pick. Just so happy they did not have the 1st pick in the 2012 draft:sarcasm:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yes because a broken hand (bone) is the same as sports hernia and torn groin and abdominal issues.

Never said they were the same.

However, they do have something in common, which is that neither are career ending injuries. ;)

You don't pass on the CLEAR best player available when there's no reason to expect his injury history to ruin his career. Saying "but what if..." is a useless exercise because you could use that to argue against drafting any player.

"McDavid was the best player in his draft... but what if he gets a concussion that ends his career in the next 2 years?" The response is, "well then you hope that doesn't happen and take him anyway". Same thing with Patrick.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
If Sanheim makes the Flyers, I would rather Provy on the top unit bumping Voracek. Then switch Ghist to Voracek's shooting spot.

Then Voracek can be the passer on unit #2. And put Patrick in the slot for 1 timers, Konecny on other wall for 1 timers too.

Fwiw, Patrick's info is now up. His potential cap hit is $200,000 less than Hischier due to less performance bonuses. But who knows what the bonuses are for.

They are schedule B bonuses.. which are largely unattainable for all rookies not named McDavid.

Things like finishing among the league leaders in certain statistical categories and winning/finishing high in certain league award voting (excluding the Calder).

It's the schedule A where rookies have a realistic chance to add bonus money.. the 2M from schedule B bonuses are rarely hit.

Means the cap hit that one can realistically expect is 975k (rookie max salary) + 850k (max schedule A bonuses) = 1.825M. The 850k will likely be hit as he doesn't need to reach every single bonus, just enough to max out at 850k.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I wouldn't be as considered about injury history as I would be about average upside. Lacks the dynamic ability to really be impressive. He can develop that but at this point is a major question mark at the next level.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
I wouldn't be as considered about injury history as I would be about average upside. Lacks the dynamic ability to really be impressive. He can develop that but at this point is a major question mark at the next level.

I know what you mean but I am quite optimistic his missing dynamic abilities had something to do with his nagging injuries. The misdiagnose from his junior team for the second hernia didn't help too.

Furthermore the Flyers are very succesful when it comes to drafting forwards in the first round. Chris Pryor and his staff deserve trust.

Otherwise, I am certain, they would have traded back some spots and took their chances on one of Vilardi, Pettersson or Glass.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC

As a Flyer fan, even a conservative view of his skill set still significantly improves the team. One thing thats almost as important with top picks as their physical skills is whats between their ears. He seems like the kind of kid who is serious, competitive and driven. Toews isn't the most dynamic player but he is extremely valuable to his team. Patrick is going to be a big strong center, that skates, shoots and passes well and for his filled out 6'2" 210lbs. No one knows really how good he will be, he is only 18 and his draft year was less than ideal for his development. I don't think anyone feels he is in the McJesus or Mathews or even Eichel skill level tier but I think his skills allow you to compete against those teams in the future.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
As a Flyer fan, even a conservative view of his skill set still significantly improves the team. One thing thats almost as important with top picks as their physical skills is whats between their ears. He seems like the kind of kid who is serious, competitive and driven. Toews isn't the most dynamic player but he is extremely valuable to his team. Patrick is going to be a big strong center, that skates, shoots and passes well and for his filled out 6'2" 210lbs. No one knows really how good he will be, he is only 18 and his draft year was less than ideal for his development. I don't think anyone feels he is in the McJesus or Mathews or even Eichel skill level tier but I think his skills allow you to compete against those teams in the future.

The "equalizer" could well be the Flyers blueline prospects.

Sure Patrick isn't in McDavid/Mathews or Eichels league when it comes to bluechip centres...but those teams also don't have Phillys depth at young defencemen either. Or goalies. Of course they aren't all going to work out...but having them in the org. already is a positive and can't hurt in Patricks development.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
I hope Patrick manages to stay reasonably healthy, because the marketing potential of Nico vs. Nolan could be something great for the rivalry for the next decade.

Especially if they meet in the playoffs at some point.

If the NHL/Devils/Flyers are smart, they'll market this like the league has done with Crosby/Ovie and McDavid/Eichel.

That's NOT TO SAY that Nico and Nolan are on the same skill level as the pairs I mentioned. They're not. I'm just saying that two elite players drafted #1 and #2 in the same draft on divisional rivals seems like yuuuuuuuuge marketing opportunity.

wuf

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
I hope Patrick manages to stay reasonably healthy, because the marketing potential of Nico vs. Nolan could be something great for the rivalry for the next decade.

Especially if they meet in the playoffs at some point.

If the NHL/Devils/Flyers are smart, they'll market this like the league has done with Crosby/Ovie and McDavid/Eichel.

That's NOT TO SAY that Nico and Nolan are on the same skill level as the pairs I mentioned. They're not. I'm just saying that two elite players drafted #1 and #2 in the same draft on divisional rivals seems like yuuuuuuuuge marketing opportunity.

I'm sure that narrative will come about. Hell, the NHL went as far as trying to make MacKinnon/Crosby a thing because they are from the same town, and were drafted first overall.

evnted

Apr 14, 2016

Nolan's methodical style of play as well as lack of any true weaknesses in his game doesn't require dynamic skill for him to be a 1C

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
Nolan's methodical style of play as well as lack of any true weaknesses in his game doesn't require dynamic skill for him to be a 1C

Yeah. I have no reason not to believe that Nolan's Smarts and style will allow him to be an effective C for a long time coming. Philly got lucky. As did Jersey.

Cheers to renewed rivalries

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
The "equalizer" could well be the Flyers blueline prospects.

Sure Patrick isn't in McDavid/Mathews or Eichels league when it comes to bluechip centres...but those teams also don't have Phillys depth at young defencemen either. Or goalies. Of course they aren't all going to work out...but having them in the org. already is a positive and can't hurt in Patricks development.

Eh as a Philly fan I bet you can remember the days of 2014ish when Pittsburgh had by far the Best D prospect pool chalked full of future studs. Doesnt pan out nearly like people expect.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Eh as a Philly fan I bet you can remember the days of 2014ish when Pittsburgh had by far the Best D prospect pool chalked full of future studs. Doesnt pan out nearly like people expect.

I'd argue that point by saying we already know what Gostisbehere is capable of when healthy, and Provorov is already the best defenseman on the Flyers. That leaves some cushion for Myers, Sanheim, Hagg, Morin, and Friedman...less pressure for them to become "the one."

There's also something that just feels different about what Hextall and Pryor are doing. I'm sure it sounds like ******** to outside fans, and a lot of it can be attributed to the fact that the Flyers haven't had prospects like this in my lifetime, but it just feels like Hextall and Pryor are doing everything right and taking the time to make sure they get the guys who SHOULD pan out...and then grooming them correctly.

Only time will tell, but it feels good.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I'd argue that point by saying we already know what Gostisbehere is capable of when healthy, and Provorov is already the best defenseman on the Flyers. That leaves some cushion for Myers, Sanheim, Hagg, Morin, and Friedman...less pressure for them to become "the one."

There's also something that just feels different about what Hextall and Pryor are doing. I'm sure it sounds like ******** to outside fans, and a lot of it can be attributed to the fact that the Flyers haven't had prospects like this in my lifetime, but it just feels like Hextall and Pryor are doing everything right and taking the time to make sure they get the guys who SHOULD pan out...and then grooming them correctly.

Only time will tell, but it feels good.

Yeah they are solid prospects but the non nhl ones are kind of average. Provorov is the real deal and ghost can bounce back to be a beast, but for the other guys, almost every NHL team has similar prospects with similar chance of making it. Solid D prospect pool but nothing I see blows me away, buts that just me.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yeah they are solid prospects but the non nhl ones are kind of average. Provorov is the real deal and ghost can bounce back to be a beast, but for the other guys, almost every NHL team has similar prospects with similar chance of making it. Solid D prospect pool but nothing I see blows me away, buts that just me.

In what way are Sanheim and Myers average???

Sanheim best PPG in WHL in 20 years.
Myers PPG in QMJHL, top pairing on Team Canada.

Plus they both have fantastic size.

Having already "hit" on Provy and Ghost, while still having Gudas gives the Flyers some leeway. Sanheim, Morin and Hagg likely all challenge for a spot this year. Myers and Friedman the following year. After that, Bernhardt(made WJC) and Hogberg( will make WJC) are on the way.

Getting Provy was the real win. Him being the anchor will allow others to slot into more favourable positions.

And yes, Pitt did have a good D prospect pool. DP, Dumo, Maatta, Harrington and Morrow, And from that pool only Dumo. and Maatta has become anything. The Flyers have already graduated Provy and Ghost who are both better. And unlike the Pitt prospects, they have continued to get better and better after being drafted.

Last edited:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

You're simply not knowledgeable enough when it come to their prospect pool.

Which is fine, you don't have to be familiar with every prospect of every team (pretty much nobody is), but at least have the self awareness to realize that you don't know enough about it and don't argue with the people who do.

EDIT-- And to be clear, I'm sure as hell not saying they're all generational prospects who are guaranteed to hit and all of them will be hall of famers, or anything insane like that. Only that calling them "average" is far from accurate and saying "almost every NHL team has similar prospects with similar chance of making it" is a joke too.

Last edited:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
You're simply not knowledgeable enough when it come to their prospect pool.

Which is fine, you don't have to be familiar with every prospect of every team (pretty much nobody is), but at least have the self awareness to realize that you don't know enough about it and don't argue with the people who do.

EDIT-- And to be clear, I'm sure as hell not saying they're all generational prospects who are guaranteed to hit and all of them will be hall of famers, or anything insane like that. Only that calling them "average" is far from accurate and saying "almost every NHL team has similar prospects with similar chance of making it" is a joke too.

I dont claim to know much about the prospect pool. Just throughout history most of the prospect pools labeled as stacked have failed to live up to the hype.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
In what way are Sanheim and Myers average???

Sanheim best PPG in WHL in 20 years.
Myers PPG in QMJHL, top pairing on Team Canada.

Plus they both have fantastic size.

Having already "hit" on Provy and Ghost, while still having Gudas gives the Flyers some leeway. Sanheim, Morin and Hagg likely all challenge for a spot this year. Myers and Friedman the following year. After that, Bernhardt(made WJC) and Hogberg( will make WJC) are on the way.

Getting Provy was the real win. Him being the anchor will allow others to slot into more favourable positions.

And yes, Pitt did have a good D prospect pool. DP, Dumo, Maatta, Harrington and Morrow, And from that pool only Dumo. and Maatta has become anything. The Flyers have already graduated Provy and Ghost who are both better. And unlike the Pitt prospects, they have continued to get better and better after being drafted.

Had ghost really tho? Took a big step big this year. He's still up in the air. Remember maata looking very good in his rookie season then regressing after? You sure ghost is different?

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
Had ghost really tho? Took a big step big this year. He's still up in the air. Remember maata looking very good in his rookie season then regressing after? You sure ghost is different?

Maata's career high in points is 29. Not even comparable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad