C Nolan Patrick - Brandon Wheat Kings, WHL (2017, 2nd, PHI) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
There's good news and bad news for Nolan Patrick fans. Bad news is hes obviously lacking game shape, doesn't have his foot speed back, he looks rusty, he's being hit more than he ever has been and his puck handling skills are off, best estimate is he's playing at 75% of the level of last seasons playoffs
The good news is that even though he is so far off his past play, in his 4 games since returning he has 4 goals and 4 assists.
The interesting question is, can Patrick return to the heights of his first two years, or has his injury slowed him down? Should be an interesting next two months

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
There's good news and bad news for Nolan Patrick fans. Bad news is hes obviously lacking game shape, doesn't have his foot speed back, he looks rusty, he's being hit more than he ever has been and his puck handling skills are off, best estimate is he's playing at 75% of the level of last seasons playoffs
The good news is that even though he is so far off his past play, in his 4 games since returning he has 4 goals and 4 assists.
The interesting question is, can Patrick return to the heights of his first two years, or has his injury slowed him down? Should be an interesting next two months

I think there was bound to be sone rust. At his age its much easier to recover from that kind of injury than if he's 30. I think we'll see him back to peak shape in the coming weeks.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
He's really elevated Mattheos games since coming back as well. Mattheos has 3 goals and 4 assists in the 4 games since Patrick has been back. These two have undeniable chemistry.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
he will be in NHL next year. Hes already been in the WHL way too long. Waiting that extra year for him to be drafted seems like its taken forever

scout97

Jul 17, 2012
Hischier too, I think.

Patrick"s odds are around 80 % that hes in the NHL. I'd say Hischier's odds are probably about 40% and would almost certainly be put on wing until he bulks up as he is only around 170 lbs.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Patrick"s odds are around 80 % that hes in the NHL. I'd say Hischier's odds are probably about 40% and would almost certainly be put on wing until he bulks up as he is only around 170 lbs.

He would be fine size wise. It's more about how he can handle the jump to less time and space. Given his speed it may not be a problem. Only time will tell. Patrick is for sure ready.

linusandvarlamov

GO AVS GO !
Apr 2, 2014
Paris, France
He would be fine size wise. It's more about how he can handle the jump to less time and space. Given his speed it may not be a problem. Only time will tell. Patrick is for sure ready.

I agree.

A guy like Mitch Marner weighs in at about 170 lbs. and he's lighting it up in the NHL. When you can create your own space and your fast enough on your skates it doesn't really matter anymore if your small. Gaudreau is another example of this.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Has anyone seen his eTOI from last year? I know its far from perfect, but I would like it for comparison purposes.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Can you elaborate?

Is this just due to a late birthday?

Ya sorry, due to his late birthday... he has played a lot of hockey from 16-18 years old... He also played 12 games as a 15 year old too.

some games as a 15 year old, full 16 year old season, full 17 year old season and now into his 18 year old season with some long playoff runs

Sure hes missed half a season this year but hes already played almost 200 WHL games in his career and still probably another 30 games left till playoffs and then potentially a long playoff run again.

ofcourse there is a chance he comes back next year, but I really don't see it at all

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I've said it before, it he reminds me so much of Sean Couturier.

Coots is a good player, and so is Patrick, but I'd expect more from a potential top pick.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
He's not as good of a pro prospect as Sam was coming out of the WHL.

Coots is a good player, and so is Patrick, but I'd expect more from a potential top pick.

Are you basing these opinions off of one game?

I think he's a much more psychically mature player than Sam was coming out of the WHL which I think will aid in a much quicker transition.

As far as a Couturier comparison I just don't see it. I think Patrick has a higher offensive ceiling than Coots.

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I have seen every single game Couturier has ever played in the NHL (and plenty of Patrick), and he doesn't remind me of Couturier at all

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Are you basing these opinions off of one game?

I think he's a much more psychically mature player than Sam was coming out of the WHL which I think will aid in a much quicker transition.

As far as a Couturier comparison I just don't see it. I think Patrick has a higher offensive ceiling than Coots.

No not off one game. I think I've seen Patrick around 25-30 times, at least 10 live in person.

If you remember Coots in junior he was thought as a two way player with good but not stellar offence. Similar to Patrick. Coots had 96 points in 58 games in his draft year. When he got to the next level his offence didn't translate as a #1. He became a good two-way 2C. I think Patrick will likely end up very similar. I think the comparison is very fair. You may be underrating Couturier.

Grandrift145

Jan 23, 2009
Uptop

You're out out of your mind, Patrick had a better pre draft year that Couturier had a draft year

Patrick will be in the NHL playing center and outscore Couturier next season

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
You're out out of your mind, Patrick had a way better pre draft year that Couturier had a draft year

In terms of scoring, no they had similar pre-draft years and probably will end up having similar draft years. Couturier led the entire Q in scoring in his PRE draft year. Then won MVP in the Q his draft year, despite battling mono. You can talk about translatable scoring and all that, and I don't think Couturier's offensive development was handled particularly well either, but Couturier was an offensive beast in juniors, all while being among the best defensively.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I echo the comments by Mozes,

I've seen Patrick quite bit as well and I just do not see anymore gears of offensive talent to be worthy of a 1st overall pick. This doesn't mean he's going suck or anything like, but he really reminds me of Jordan Staal and that is the type of player I would not pick 1st overall. A bit timid, not enough dynamic ability, and isn't that engaged in the play either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->