C Nolan Patrick - Brandon Wheat Kings, WHL (2017, 2nd, PHI) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I dont claim to know much about the prospect pool. Just throughout history most of the prospect pools labeled as stacked have failed to live up to the hype.

Well, like I said, I'm not guaranteeing that they'll turn out perfect, but they're definitely a special group.

Having a defensemen prospect with plus size, fantastic skating, and great offensive skills isn't something every team is lucky enough to have... and the Flyers have two. Then past that, 6'7" guys who can skate like the wind are also rare. And that's just the three big names who aren't already in the NHL, there's still quite a few more with definite NHL potential. The group has high end talent and depth.

So whether you want to bet on them becoming great players or not is irrelevant, you have to at least recognize that this is a special group with great potential.... faaaaar from "average".

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Well, like I said, I'm not guaranteeing that they'll turn out perfect, but they're definitely a special group.

Having a defensemen prospect with plus size, fantastic skating, and great offensive skills isn't something every team is lucky enough to have... and the Flyers have two. Then past that, 6'7" guys who can skate like the wind are also rare. And that's just the three big names who aren't already in the NHL, there's still quite a few more with definite NHL potential. The group has high end talent and depth.

So whether you want to bet on them becoming great players or not is irrelevant, you have to at least recognize that this is a special group with great potential.... faaaaar from "average".

The arguments about prospects pools is often moot and fruitless endeavor for a couple reasons. First is that prospects rarely if ever turn out as expected (both positive and negative). I've seen too many stacked pools yield poor nhl results and too many average pools yield great nhl players. I mean Pitt had a stacked D prospect pool and had a low turn out, then they had a below average forward prospect pool and have cranked out numerous good forwards recently from nothing.

So yes they have guys that were best in their league for a select year. But there is 3 major junior leagues, NCAA and 4/5 leagues in Europe. So at any year there is 9 prospects who are best in their league. Nearly every team has a prospect who is top 3 in their league. Just for example and only because it's convenient: oilers had best D in WHL (bear won best D in WHL), they had the best U22 D in KHL in 2016 in Paigin (6'6 too). Flames had one of best u21D in AHL (Rasmussen) and NCAA (fox). So a ton of teams can roll a list of D prospects and legit claim they were best in a league or top 3 or 6'6 who can skate and looked good at wjc or whatever.

Not saying they won't turn out, just personally I dont buy the hype.

Check on hockey's future prospect pool rankings from 2005 on and see how they actually turned out in nhl. I think you'll start to see my point

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The arguments about prospects pools is often moot and fruitless endeavor for a couple reasons. First is that prospects rarely if ever turn out as expected (both positive and negative). I've seen too many stacked pools yield poor nhl results and too many average pools yield great nhl players. I mean Pitt had a stacked D prospect pool and had a low turn out, then they had a below average forward prospect pool and have cranked out numerous good forwards recently from nothing.

So yes they have guys that were best in their league for a select year. But there is 3 major junior leagues, NCAA and 4/5 leagues in Europe. So at any year there is 9 prospects who are best in their league. Nearly every team has a prospect who is top 3 in their league. Just for example and only because it's convenient: oilers had best D in WHL (bear won best D in WHL), they had the best U22 D in KHL in 2016 in Paigin (6'6 too). Flames had one of best u21D in AHL (Rasmussen) and NCAA (fox). So a ton of teams can roll a list of D prospects and legit claim they were best in a league or top 3 or 6'6 who can skate and looked good at wjc or whatever.

Check on hockey's future prospect pool rankings from 2005 on and see how they actually turned out in nhl. I think you'll start to see my point

In the end, we don't have to convince you of anything. The players will do that in due time. The Flyers arguably have the best prospect pool in the NHL while just graduating Provy and Konecny this past year. Plus they have 2 1st rounders and 10 picks already for next years draft. Hextall is building a deep pipeline.

Anyways, this is Patricks thread. No need for us to keep derailing it.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
To be perfectly honest there's so many things I disagree with there but I simply done care enough to get into a long drawn out argument about it. :laugh:
I'll save us both the time and save this thread from getting even further away from Patrick.

So think whatever you want, but be aware that by this logic there's no such thing as a good prospect or good prospect pool. You could pretty much use your argument against every player/pool in the league. I disagree 100%, but oh well.

It seems like you're just determined to downplay this group of prospects, which is considered to be special by the vast majority of people (fans of all teams, media personalities, writers, draft gurus... pretty much everyone but yourself and a tiny handful of others. So it's not like it's just Flyers fans trying to hype up their guys...). Maybe that's not the case, but it seems that way to me, no offense intended.

Regardless, have a nice day.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
To be perfectly honest there's so many things I disagree with there but I simply done care enough to get into a long drawn out argument about it. :laugh:
I'll save us both the time and save this thread from getting even further away from Patrick.

So think whatever you want, but be aware that by this logic there's no such thing as a good prospect or good prospect pool. You could pretty much use your argument against every player/pool in the league. I disagree 100%, but oh well.

It seems like you're just determined to downplay this group of prospects, which is considered to be special by the vast majority of people (fans of all teams, media personalities, writers, draft gurus... pretty much everyone but yourself and a tiny handful of others. So it's not like it's just Flyers fans trying to hype up their guys...). Maybe that's not the case, but it seems that way to me, no offense intended.

Regardless, have a nice day.

Install realism maybe? Different perspective?

Anyways, all fans overrated prospects, oiler fans and myself included. But I do agree this took a sidetrack so I won't speak to it anymore

FlyRoutine

Aug 4, 2012
Yeah they are solid prospects but the non nhl ones are kind of average. Provorov is the real deal and ghost can bounce back to be a beast, but for the other guys, almost every NHL team has similar prospects with similar chance of making it. Solid D prospect pool but nothing I see blows me away, buts that just me.

I dont claim to know much about the prospect pool. Just throughout history most of the prospect pools labeled as stacked have failed to live up to the hype.

The only thing average here, seems to be your memory.

At first you call the non NHL prospects kind of average and 2 hours later you admit, that you dont know much about the prospect pool? Bit contradictory, dont you think?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It's #1, no doubt in my mind. Just go look at past prospect pools that got ranked top 3 and track how that pool did in nhl

Ok..I took your advice.

2005 Pittsburgh, Washington, Chicago
2006 Pitt, LA, Chicago
2007 St.L Chicago, Phoenix
2008 St.L, LA, CBus
2009 not showing up on google
2010 Nashville, LA, St.L
2011 Florida, Ottawa, NYI
2012 Minny, Florida, Edmonton
2013 Tampa, Buffalo, Anaheim
2014 Winnipeg, Montreal, Arizona
2015 AZ, Winnipeg, Buffalo

Nope....don't see your point. I see Stanley Cup Champs, runners up, final 4 teams, President Tropy winners and some others who are up and comers. Only a few who I would say have disappointed and ironically, they have had **** management...sorry Phoenix, Florida and NYI. But their fans likely agree at their mgt held them back.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009

Yeah the reasons for that begin with Sidney and end with Crosby.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Ok..I took your advice.

2005 Pittsburgh, Washington, Chicago
2006 Pitt, LA, Chicago
2007 St.L Chicago, Phoenix
2008 St.L, LA, CBus
2009 not showing up on google
2010 Nashville, LA, St.L
2011 Florida, Ottawa, NYI
2012 Minny, Florida, Edmonton
2013 Tampa, Buffalo, Anaheim
2014 Winnipeg, Montreal, Arizona
2015 AZ, Winnipeg, Buffalo

Nope....don't see your point. I see Stanley Cup Champs, runners up, final 4 teams, President Tropy winners and some others who are up and comers. Only a few who I would say have disappointed and ironically, they have had **** management...sorry Phoenix, Florida and NYI. But their fans likely agree at their mgt held them back.

Pitt and Chicago propped up by 2 top 3 picks, 3 of them being kane, Crosby and Malkin.

joez86

Jan 20, 2006
You think I don't see that?

:laugh:

So teams prospect pools only count if they end up with an Art Ross winner?

The Flyers are just one of those teams that people either like or dislike. They also happen to get far more outside dislike than most of those teams, IMO.
I just don't see too many people who are neutral on them and "objectively" commenting on the team or their prospects.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
The Flyers are just one of those teams that people either like or dislike. They also happen to get far more outside dislike than most of those teams, IMO.
I just don't see too many people who are neutral on them and "objectively" commenting on the team or their prospects.

I always liked the flyers. I remember when I was still in highschool playing the Flyers on Nhl 07 or something... they had Gagne, Richards, Briere, Carter at their prime.. that was fun a team.

TheWolfOfBroadStreet

Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX
Right. And Philly's is propped up by top 2 pick Nolan Patrick.

In other words...the best prospect pools have the best prospects.

k8DQE_f-maxage-0_s-200x150.gif

L13

Oct 1, 2015
Patrick has "an infection in his face" that's kept him off the ice recently, as per a Flyers beat reporter on Twitter. dot dot dot

C0DITH

Apr 30, 2017
NP will be fine. Having a top prospect pool looks like it relates to success based on those past choices. Flyers are doing exactly what needs to be done, draft like a beast, and build up not only a quantity amount of prospects, but also top notch quality. No doubt, they will be a threat within the next 3 years. They have too many great young kids starting to make their leaps

Rostered now
Ghost
Provorov
Konecny
Weal (Tons of potential)

This year Potentially
Patrick
Lindblom
Morin
Hagg

On the cusp
Sanheim
Myers

Soon
Rubstov
The other russian kids they have
Frost
Ratcliffe
Kubel
Hart
Sandstrom
Allison

Those are guys I think have a strong probability of being good to really good NHLers. They have tonnnns of wild cards as well who could turn out to be major sleepers (like Lindblom).

Oh and they have the most draft picks next year I believe (including two firsts). This team is loaded with assets, already a strong core of older guys (Giroux/Simmonds/Voracek/Couturier).

Sleep on the Flyers all you want but when a team starts stock piling talent like they are doing, it is only a matter of time before a few of them pan out.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
Patrick has "an infection in his face" that's kept him off the ice recently, as per a Flyers beat reporter on Twitter. dot dot dot

:amazed:

Again, not rooting against the kid (yet :sarcasm:) but he's not doing his reputation any favors right now.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad