C Jake Wise - Boston Univ., NCAA (2018, 69th, CHI)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
lets see...lets see!!! same with you Musto!!

I usually only post my list in the Rangers section, unless asked here to post it. I'm going to try to get my final list finished the Wednesday of draft week, so check in that section that day for my list or just ask me, if you want to know.

May Top 62.

1. Rasmus Dahlin
2. Andrei Svechnikov
3. Adam Boqvist
4. Filip Zadina
5. Jesperi Kotkaniemi
6. Noah Dobson
7. Bode Wilde
8. Joe Veleno
9. Ty Smith
10. Mattias Samuelsson
11. Vitaly Kravtsov
12. Oliver Wahlstrom
13. Quinn Hughes
14. Evan Bouchard
15. Jake Wise
16. Barrett Hayton
17. Joel Farabee
18. Brady Tkachuk
19. Filip Hallander
20. Grigori Denisenko
21. Dominik Bokk
22. Jonatan Berggren
23. Jared McIsaac
24. Alexander Alexeyev
25. Calen Addison
26. Rasmus Kupari
27. Martin Kaut
28. Jakub Lauko
29. Liam Foudy
30. Isac Lundestrom
31. Jacob Bernard-Docker
32. Ryan Merkley
33. Jay O'Brien
34. Jacob Olofsson
35. Ryan McLeod
36. Alex Khovanov
37. Danila Galenyuk
38. Akil Thomas
39. Danila Zhuravlyov
40. Serron Noel
41. Jan Jenik
42. K'Andre Miller
43. Nils Lundkvist
44. Blake McLaughlin
45. Bulat Shafigullin
46. Ty Dellandrea
47. Ty Emberson
48. Lukas Dostal
49. Cole Fonstad
50. Adam Ginning
51. Cam Hillis
52. Rasmus Sandin
53. Filip Kral
54. Ivan Morozov
55. Jack Drury
56. Niklas Nordgren
57. Jett Woo
58. Filip Johansson
59. Jack McBain
60. Nikolai Kovalenko
61. Jacob Ragnarsson
62. Alec Regula

DoctorDoak

Mar 21, 2006
Ontario
I usually only post my list in the Rangers section, unless asked here to post it. I'm going to try to get my final list finished the Wednesday of draft week, so check in that section that day for my list or just ask me, if you want to know.

Interesting ranking PB, I like the unconventionality of it. Care to say more about Wilde and Samuelsson cracking the top 10, those stand out as different than consensus/published guides.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Interesting ranking PB, I like the unconventionality of it. Care to say more about Wilde and Samuelsson cracking the top 10, those stand out as different than consensus/published guides.

Samuelsson: I explained this in detail in the "who is better thread" a few hours ago, so read up on that if you want a longer explanation. He's a better hockey player than a lot of the players ranked ahead of him, and he's been that for years. He really doesn't have any weaknesses, unless its a weakness to not be an automatic 30+ point guy in the NHL. And he has major strengths. He's a terrific defender. Could step into the league next year, and not be out of place. But he doesn't play video game hockey, and that works against him with the draft.

Wilde: He has a lot of physical skills and offensive skills, so its an interesting package of tools. There just aren't players that often who are that big, skate that well, have that type of shot, puck handling, passing. He's also not afraid to play physical, and does show some nice defense at times. If you project forward, he has 1D upside. With the right development, Wilde could be a complete 1D. The hockey IQ is rough though right now, which leads to inconsistencies and is probably why he hasn't put it all together yet. But the same could be said for most players in the draft. Not many are ready for the NHL. I also think many are over-emphasizing a bad WJC18. He has been better than that for most of the season, but a lot only tune into that tournament where he struggled. I also think Appert did him no favors by taking him off the PP mid-tournament, nor did it help the team.

Peeps

May 24, 2017
Really looking forward to see what the black book says about him.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Could this be Barzal-like situation? Highly ranked player who fell by his draft year, with a big injury involved as well.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Could this be Barzal-like situation? Highly ranked player who fell by his draft year, with a big injury involved as well.

Barzal didn't fall pre draft(or at least have a dramatic drop). For starters it was a strong draft and he generally was rated 6-12 in most places. Basically 2 teams decided he wasn't the 12th best player(Dallas and Boston)

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Barzal didn't fall pre draft(or at least have a dramatic drop). For starters it was a strong draft and he generally was rated 6-12 in most places. Basically 2 teams decided he wasn't the 12th best player(Dallas and Boston)
He entered the year generally top 5. Marner and Strome passed him clearly by the draft though, and he was grouped into that next tier.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's a better prospect than Steel was. I think its fair to say he was about as good as Barzal going into the draft. Whether he'll be as good as Barzal in his NHL career is to be seen.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
He's a better prospect than Steel was. I think its fair to say he was about as good as Barzal going into the draft. Whether he'll be as good as Barzal in his NHL career is to be seen.
I think Wise will be a great 2C whereas Barzal will be a great 1C. We'll have to see.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think Wise will be a great 2C whereas Barzal will be a great 1C. We'll have to see.

Did you think three years ago that Barzal was significantly better than you'd consider Wise to be right now?

If it was known that Barzal would be a 1C, he would've been a top 5 pick.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Did you think three years ago that Barzal was significantly better than you'd consider Wise to be right now?

If it was known that Barzal would be a 1C, he would've been a top 5 pick.

The general consensus was that Barzal was going 6th overall to New Jersey. I had him firmly in a tier with Hanifin/Marner/Provorov/Strome/Werenski. Barzal’s fall was inexplicable. He was much more well-regarded than Wise is right now without question.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The general consensus was that Barzal was going 6th overall to New Jersey. I had him firmly in a tier with Hanifin/Marner/Provorov/Strome/Werenski. Barzal’s fall was inexplicable. He was much more well-regarded than Wise is right now without question.
I wouldn't say that was the consensus was 6 to Jersey. I'd say the belief was he was going somewhere between 6 and 12. For example, McKenzie's ranking which is probably the best proxy for the draft had Barzal at 9. In general, after the Marner/Strome/Hanifin tier (which is how many viewed the draft at the time), many thought the closest guy to that discussion was Provorov, but many expected NJ to go center which meant Zacha or Barzal. Which put a grouping of Rantanen/Barzal/Crouse/Provorov/Werenski and to a lesser extent Meier and Kyle Connor. Then Dallas skipped him for the late rising mystery box in Gurianov and Boston with 3 picks in a row didn't like either Connor or Barzal.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
I was actually reading up on your posts, but reading this you lost credibility in my eyes.

Barzal in my 2015 mock draft was 6th. My order was McDavid, Eichel, Marner, Provorov, Hanifin, Barzal, Strome

and that was in one of the deepest drafts of the decade. To say Wise is even close to Barzal is ridicule.

I know ones a defender and ones a forward, but if I had to compare Wise's situation, I'd compare him to Kylington

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
I was actually reading up on your posts, but reading this you lost credibility in my eyes.

Barzal in my 2015 mock draft was 6th. My order was McDavid, Eichel, Marner, Provorov, Hanifin, Barzal, Strome

and that was in one of the deepest drafts of the decade. To say Wise is even close to Barzal is ridicule.

I know ones a defender and ones a forward, but if I had to compare Wise's situation, I'd compare him to Kylington
I agree that Wise is nowhere near the prospect Barzal was 3 years ago but before questioning someone's credibility you might want to make sure you're on solid ground. Wise is a forward, not a defender.

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
I see that there are two ways to interpret what he's saying. But if you read it the way you seem to read it the post still doesn't make sense. Kylington was seen as a top 5 pick even at the start of the 2014-15 season but Wise was nowhere near that in preliminary rankings. He was highly touted 2-3 years ago. Very different from Kylington.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
My comparison was supposed to be more to the fact that at one time 2015 was the McDavid/Barzal draft. Like 4 or 5 years before. Go to the 1st page of this thread and see what people were saying about Wise in 2013. And again, both Barzal and wise had a fairly big injury in their draft year.

So that is more where the comparison came from and where it also stops since they aren't the same player. The Sam Steel drop comparison is also interesting.

I'm just wondering if this will be a case of "he dropped and in the end he should have been taken earlier." Not so much like Barzal (taken 15th, should have gone top 5) but potentially taken late 1st/early 2nd, should have gone 15ish.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad