C Jake Wise - Boston Univ., NCAA (2018, 69th, CHI)

thelittlecoon

ELIAS PETTERSSON
Jun 19, 2017
Vancouver
He's saying that Wise should've gone in the first round. Grammatical errors just made it a little confusing to read.
Gotcha. I think he should've went higher for sure too. Feel like he's one of those players Bob McKenzie was talking about that falls in the draft because a few teams like another player just a bit more. He should put up big numbers in NCAA this season if given an opportunity in BU's top 6.

Rogie21

Sep 10, 2005
Gotcha. I think he should've went higher for sure too. Feel like he's one of those players Bob McKenzie was talking about that falls in the draft because a few teams like another player just a bit more. He should put up big numbers in NCAA this season if given an opportunity in BU's top 6.
Given the current number of returning top six candidates on BU's roster--plus first round pick Farabee--he'll likely start as the third line center. But he'll get plenty of icetime and PP time, too.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
rough year for Jake...he now seems done for the year with a shoulder injury..hopefully he can bounce back health wise and BU can improve overall next year as well...

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
rough year for Jake...he now seems done for the year with a shoulder injury..hopefully he can bounce back health wise and BU can improve overall next year as well...

honestly he should have gone to mooseheads ( especially in memorial cup yr)

but easier said after the fact

but i am a big beleiver of chl for 1st and 2nd rounders

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
Then he misses out on his college education.

honestly if your a first round or early second round the focus most times is on hockey first education second

not sure any nhl club is waiting around for 4 yrs on first early second round choices

who have been first round choices/early second that have finished their 4 yrs ?

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
The travel in junior hockey is brutal especially in the Q or WHL. If I'm an American, I would explore the options in the US. Heck if I'm a Canadian I just might prefer NCAA as opposed to difficult travel in junior hockey.

Last edited:
Reactions: FishManSam

Kalost

Jan 21, 2015
honestly if your a first round or early second round the focus most times is on hockey first education second

not sure any nhl club is waiting around for 4 yrs on first early second round choices

The man, the myth, the legend Mark Jankowski!

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA

You can always go back to school and finish you degree later in life if hockey doesnt work out, and getting a heard start doesnt hurt. Plus college hockey may be less games, but its better competition. Every player’s development is different. Its worked for some, hasnt for others, just like the CHL

member 157595

Goodluck trying to tell a kid from Boston to go to the Q. They are more loyal to the Hockey East than kids from Toronto are to the OHL

Indeed. NCAA hockey is ingrained in the culture here and convincing a local boy to give up both his NCAA eligibility and an education at a prestigious university to play CHL hockey is difficult. It happens but it's rare.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
Indeed. NCAA hockey is ingrained in the culture here and convincing a local boy to give up both his NCAA eligibility and an education at a prestigious university to play CHL hockey is difficult. It happens but it's rare.

later 2nd 3rd 4th 5th round ...ok agree

first round and early second ?? all nhl expectation is that hockey is first education second

during the combine tell the teams your focus is school first....see what happens

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Then he misses out on his college education.

I doubt the value of a college education for an athlete. It's difficult, near impossible without a special kind of discipline, to balance rigorous study and training. Most athletes focus on one or the other. Rarely, there are student-athletes who are exceptional.

If a prospect has NHL upside, "education" is not a priority.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
I doubt the value of a college education for an athlete. It's difficult, near impossible without a special kind of discipline, to balance rigorous study and training. Most athletes focus on one or the other. Rarely, there are student-athletes who are exceptional.

If a prospect has NHL upside, "education" is not a priority.
Alternatively, if a prospect has downsides to his game and doesn't want to spend years grinding in the minors, college is a great place to develop discipline and get, in BU's case, an education worth well over 250K for playing hockey. Probably the best years of your life versus the minors which may well be the worst years of your life.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

wankstifier

Jun 19, 2018
Alternatively, if a prospect has downsides to his game and doesn't want to spend years grinding in the minors, college is a great place to develop discipline and get, in BU's case, an education worth well over 250K for playing hockey. Probably the best years of your life versus the minors which may well be the worst years of your life.

I'll make the qualification that the degree may be worth that much, but the athlete isn't going to be learning enough in an undergrad program to justify that valuation.

There are exceptions, but in general, I think it'd be a mistake to hire an athlete to any position that requires a technical background.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
I'll make the qualification that the degree may be worth that much, but the athlete isn't going to be learning enough in an undergrad program to justify that valuation.

There are exceptions, but in general, I think it'd be a mistake to hire an athlete to any position that requires a technical background.
Let's not get too into the weeds. I don't know if you can justify the valuation regardless, but the fact is the degree costs that much and being a BU hockey alum gives you priceless connections in the hockey world if playing doesn't work out, even if we disregard the piece of paper itself. I also think playing at BU is much more preferable to being a full time hockey player who can be cut and deployed at will whereas at BU they are really tied to you as a player having success. They can't really just replace you similar to the way they can in pro sports, they've made an investment in you. You have access to facilities and a lot of resources as a player, athlete, student and a human being. In Jake's case, I really don't think he is much of an asset for the pro game today, whereas his next three years at BU may very well turn him into a fringe/future NHLer.

wankstifier

Jun 19, 2018
Let's not get too into the weeds. I don't know if you can justify the valuation regardless, but the fact is the degree costs that much and being a BU hockey alum gives you priceless connections in the hockey world if playing doesn't work out, even if we disregard the piece of paper itself. I also think playing at BU is much more preferable to being a full time hockey player who can be cut and deployed at will whereas at BU they are really tied to you as a player having success. They can't really just replace you similar to the way they can in pro sports, they've made an investment in you. You have access to facilities and a lot of resources as a player, athlete, student and a human being. In Jake's case, I really don't think he is much of an asset for the pro game today, whereas his next three years at BU may very well turn him into a fringe/future NHLer.

Fair enough. I'm prone to tangents.

Reactions: tealhockey

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia