C Jake Wise - Boston Univ., NCAA (2018, 69th, CHI)

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Would be more than happy with him at 25, I think there's a fair bit of "fool me onceism" that's keeping him lower in the eye of public concensus

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I was actually reading up on your posts, but reading this you lost credibility in my eyes.

Barzal in my 2015 mock draft was 6th. My order was McDavid, Eichel, Marner, Provorov, Hanifin, Barzal, Strome

and that was in one of the deepest drafts of the decade. To say Wise is even close to Barzal is ridicule.

I know ones a defender and ones a forward, but if I had to compare Wise's situation, I'd compare him to Kylington

You are telling me that we should regard your preference compared to eventual draft position for Barzal but we can't do the same for my opinion of Wise? Doesn't make much sense.

Comparing him to Kylington is a joke. Kylington was failing for years, and was losing his prospect shine each year. Wise never really fell. He had a bad season two years before the draft, but was excellent the year before the draft. You won't be able to find 15 players in this draft who had a better season than Wise. I don't think your comparison is anywhere close to a good one.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
You are telling me that we should regard your preference compared to eventual draft position for Barzal but we can't do the same for my opinion of Wise? Doesn't make much sense.

I think it's more a case of pre draft hype. In the case of Barzal if you look at the average ranking of him, he was 9th within a earshot of 7th

2015 NHL Draft Prospect Consensus Rankings

Wise on the other hand barely seems to make Top 31 lists

2018 NHL Draft Rankings

2 out of 16 lists(#19 and #22)

Reactions: AuraSphere

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I was giving an opinion. My opinion is that he was somewhat comparable to Barzal as a prospect going into the draft.

I've stopped worrying about the consensus lists or what "expert" has who where. If you have your own opinion, they should really be almost irrelevant.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I was giving an opinion. My opinion is that he was somewhat comparable to Barzal as a prospect going into the draft.

I've stopped worrying about the consensus lists or what "expert" has who where. If you have your own opinion, they should really be almost irrelevant.

yes but Barzal falling to 16 was somewhat a surprise, if Wise gets picked 16 that would be considered a surprise as well but for the exact opposite reason

Rogie21

Sep 10, 2005

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Yea I don't think Wise (or O'brien at this point) makes it out of the 1st round. And rightfully so.
I agree with you. Any team looking for a center would be foolish not to draft Wise after the 20th or so pick. He has tremendous talent, drive, skating and I sincerely believe he ends up one of the ten best players from this draft class in a few years' time.

puckMAN

Dec 28, 2004
North St Paul
I agree with you. Any team looking for a center would be foolish not to draft Wise after the 20th or so pick. He has tremendous talent, drive, skating and I sincerely believe he ends up one of the ten best players from this draft class in a few years' time.
For people that have seen jake play is he more of a Zach Parise in that he has skill but his calling card is his effort and determination?Or is he more pure skill in the mold of a Clayton Keller?

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
For people that have seen jake play is he more of a Zach Parise in that he has skill but his calling card is his effort and determination?Or is he more pure skill in the mold of a Clayton Keller?
Nick Schmaltz

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Nick Schmaltz is a really good player.

Yes, that's actually an apt comparison even though they play the game a bit differently. From what I've seen of them, Schmaltz seems to rely a bit more on his skating and fast reads to create offense while Wise relies more on playmaking and slowing the game down to put up points. On the Powerplay as a set-up man on the half-boards, Jake Wise is one of the very best of this draft class and routinely succeeds in making smart and accurate passes that often lead to high-danger scoring chances for his team and a lot of goals for his teammates. I swear, sometimes I watch his recorded USHL games and I see shades of Nicklas Backstrom on the half-boards, I blink, bewildered at what I've just seen, and it disappears, only to return 30 seconds later when Wise gets possession of the puck back and proceeds to make simple effective plays and fakes (that tear apart the defensive scheme) to feed a goal-front presence the puck and get an assist on the ensuing goal.

Overall, I think Wise has a shot at becoming an actual first-line center but most probably tops out as a very good #2 center who excels on the powerplay. If the Montreal Canadiens manage to draft him in the second round this year, I'll be making my very own ''happy-man dance''.

That said, his question marks as a prospect are still definite (shot is only average [release is good, accuracy is good but shot lacks strength, one-timer is actually pretty potent], not physical, too pass-first, injury problems and durability could be a concern, must add strength to negate defenders' checking at the NHL level, etc.) and could ultimately lead him to not making the NHL, but I see too many positives and upside in Jake Wise's game to think that he won't become a solid NHL player.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He has a really good shot, actually. Just doesn't use it enough. He had one injury that we know of. By the same token, we could say any player whose had one injury has injury problems.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I actually think he uses his shot a fair bit, but many of the shots he takes are ones that aren't going to be available to him at the NHL level (open shots from the circles). It will be interesting to see how his tendencies develop against tighter checking.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
He has a really good shot, actually. Just doesn't use it enough. He had one injury that we know of. By the same token, we could say any player whose had one injury has injury problems.

From the games I've seen, his shot doesn't seem like anything special to me at the next level, even when you don't take into account his tendency to not shoot the puck. Of course, when compared to players his age on lower leagues it's actually pretty good, I just don't think he becomes a credible goalscorer at the NHL level if his shot doesn't improve. Even with perfect placement, today's NHL goalies will make save after save on Jake Wise's shots if he doesn't increase their velocity and the weight behind them.

Star67

Nov 17, 2017
Was the 15 draft not considered the McDavid/Barzal draft a year or two out?

Played on same Bantam team as Barzal the hype around him was crazy. He went first overall in the WHL draft and he was not on the same hype level as McDavid but two(ish) years out he was right under that McDavid tier.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
From the games I've seen, his shot doesn't seem like anything special to me at the next level, even when you don't take into account his tendency to not shoot the puck. Of course, when compared to players his age on lower leagues it's actually pretty good, I just don't think he becomes a credible goalscorer at the NHL level if his shot doesn't improve. Even with perfect placement, today's NHL goalies will make save after save on Jake Wise's shots if he doesn't increase their velocity and the weight behind them.

I just don't agree. I've seen him beat goalies from the outside too much to think otherwise. Corey Pronman in a recent column said pretty much the same thing. He said his shot is the tenth best shot in the draft.

Wise has a great shot, he just never uses it and prefers to make a play.

Pronman: Ranking 2018 draft-eligible prospects by tools

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

I’ve seen quite a bit of him and my comparison is Travis Konecny. Definitely skilled (more so than a Parise) but it’s his motor and drive that catch your attention.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad