C Jake Wise - Boston Univ., NCAA (2018, 69th, CHI)

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
I just don't agree. I've seen him beat goalies from the outside too much to think otherwise. Corey Pronman in a recent column said pretty much the same thing. He said his shot is the tenth best shot in the draft.

He's indeed beat goalies from the outside quite a bit, but re-watch his games, each time that happens, there was movement in the offensive zone to distract the goalie and/or Wise smartly changed angles to make it a bit harder for the goalie to figure out where the puck is. Rarely, if ever, will Jake Wise's wrist shots beat the goalie outright at range, or rip through his equipment, without visual interference or distraction. That, or he receives passes from his D on the Powerplay and unloads his pretty good one-timer on the goalie.

As far as Corey Pronman goes, I knowignly ignore everything he (and ESPN) says about prospects, players and teams as he is still a pretty bad reporter in my opinion (and ESPN's coverage of Hockey, although better than it used to be, also leaves a lot to be desired).

Anyways, I've said my point but still probably won't convince you otherwise so let's respectfully agree to disagree on this one. Cheers to you.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Love his IQ but i really think that teams had a problem with his skating.

He reminds me alot of Cole Cassels. He was dominant in the OHL and was even known as a Mcdavid stopper.

Cole's IQ is off the charts but his skating is preventing him from making the jump to the NHL. 3rd rnd pick as well.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

He reminds me alot of Cole Cassels. He was dominant in the OHL and was even known as a Mcdavid stopper.

Cole's IQ is off the charts but his skating is preventing him from making the jump to the NHL. 3rd rnd pick as well.

He's a pretty good skater. I don't really understand "skating concerns" with his game. I think it was that teams were caught up with the narrative around him. That often causes players to go higher than they should or lower.

A lot don't even seem aware that Wise had a great season.

Reactions: AmericanDream

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018

Cassels never produced like Wise though. Also Wise isn't a bad skater by any means.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Cassels never produced like Wise though. Also Wise isn't a bad skater by any means.

Cassels never produced?

He won the memorial cup which included beating Mcdavids stacked Eerie Otters team.

In his 18 yr old year he had 73 pts 61 games in the OHL

19 yr old year 81 pts in 54 games and 31 pts in 21 playoff games. In the OHL

He was a phenomenal talent but his skating and injuries held him back once he got to the pros.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Cassels never produced?

He won the memorial cup which included beating Mcdavids stacked Eerie Otters team.

In his 18 yr old year he had 73 pts 61 games in the OHL

19 yr old year 81 pts in 54 games and 31 pts in 21 playoff games. In the OHL

He was a phenomenal talent but his skating and injuries held him back once he got to the pros.
His draft year he had 43 points in 63 games. That's an NHLe of 19.2. Wise's NHLe based off his USHL numbers this year is 34.4. You're using numbers from when Cassels was older than Wise.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
One of my favorites in the 3 round, could see him go around late first to mid second round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad