C Jake Wise - Boston Univ., NCAA (2018, 69th, CHI)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Had a nice assist today. I thought he had a very good game, although he missed an open net on the PP later in the game. He always has an impact in all three zones, doesn't take shifts off. I still see some people saying he's a 2nd or 3rd round player, and I wonder why. It seems like bad scouting.

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
he had a sneaky good game today. I think he plays very good in all 3 zones, and his work at the dot was fine, even though he and others got bounced out of draws every damn faceoff (God I hate IIHF refs).

he had some real nifty passes today and as you said missed on that chance, but he was constantly buzzing around out there creating offense. If this kid in a weak draft down the middle still doesn't go in the first round, I have no clue what others are watching with him. I liked his physical play as well, a lot of hitting in this game and Wise was involved in a lot of it, he doesn't shy away from anything - kind of reminds me of a young Toews at times out there.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
The player Wise reminds me of stylistically is Travis Konecny. If he works as hard as Konecny, I think he’ll have a nice career.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
The player Wise reminds me of stylistically is Travis Konecny. If he works as hard as Konecny, I think he’ll have a nice career.
Does Wise also have elite diving skills? (don't get me wrong, I love Konecny, just hate that he seems to like to embellish.)

I haven't seen Wise much, from what I have seen he doesn't seem to snipe the way Konecny does, but is maybe a better playmaker?

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Wise went from potential star, to inconsistent year, to hurt for much of the year...to now lost in the Jack Hughes shuffle.

He hasn't grown much in 2 years, which has hurt him, and I agree PB, he is fast enough to be a pro player. He is a playmaker first which will likely take him longer to adjust and become the player he needs to be in college.

The Hughes - Wahlstrom - Farabee line has just taken over, Wise is now on the second line and that hurts a player like him a lot draft wise. He is still ranked very highly on a lot of lists and I even see him as a potential late first/early second if he finishes strong at the u18 in April. His upside is still pretty huge.

Scouts know a lot about this kid, he just needs to work hard, continue producing and he will be selected higher than most on here will admit IMO.

I think he goes early to mid 2nd round. Hope the Habs take a shot at him. Skill is there and his size is the only concern and reason why he’s not a 1st round pick

Reactions: Vachon23

Peeps

May 24, 2017
I was high on him before the u18. I thought he was a clear cut 1st rounder.

Now after 4 games I'm not so sure.

I think the 32-45 area is where his value is. A good 2/3 line center kinda like Andrew Cogliano.

But I am patient. If he can score big goals or set up big goals during the medal round, I think we can still say he belong to the 1st. That's what he needs to do.

2A in 4 games as the 2nd center playing with two very good wingers is not enough.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Possible but there are a lot of similar talent from the 20-45 range so he’s in a group of similar assets. Depends on the team I guess.
Unless a stud drops, I can't see Wise getting past Chicago with that Nashville pick. But then again, a stud usually does drop.

Peeps

May 24, 2017
And thats why you aren't an NHL scout.

He's had one of the best seasons in the USHL in the last 20 years, but you and your four games of scouting know better.

Yes and go back this forum and you'll see me be high on him.

I'm just saying that so far he is not showing 1st round material.

Wahlstrom does. Hughes does. Farabee does. Even Caufield does.

USHL and a tournament is two different leagues. It's awesome to perform in one (with a loaded squad) but then you need to perform the same at the very least (with the same loaded squad) in a tournament.

So far he plays well, but not an impact player. Impact player are 1st rounders.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
How do we come to that conclusion?

Look at his U18 PPG among forwards since 2000. 9th best. Ahead of Farabee. Wise didn't get to play with Hughes either at ES, which Farabee and Wahlstrom got to do. He's done this playing on the second line.

Hughes, Matthews, Eichel, Wahlstrom, Vanek Keller. Cammarata, Milano, Wise is the list. First six are or were NHL stars, besides two other players not yet drafted that have a chance to be NHL stars. Cammarata was a really good pre-draft player, but he's struggled against bigger and more physical players. Milano is very talented, but needs to get away from Torts.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yes and go back this forum and you'll see me be high on him.

I'm just saying that so far he is not showing 1st round material.

Wahlstrom does. Hughes does. Farabee does. Even Caufield does.

USHL and a tournament is two different leagues. It's awesome to perform in one (with a loaded squad) but then you need to perform the same at the very least (with the same loaded squad) in a tournament.

So far he plays well, but not an impact player. Impact player are 1st rounders.

So you think every first rounder has been good at this tournament? No, I don't think so. Many haven't. I don't think teams are crossing players off their first round list based on four games where they don't score to their usual capability, but to each their own.

Edit: I'll list this out.

0 points: Wilde, Smith, Fonstad
1 point: Olofsson, Tychonick, Lundkvist, Zavgorodniy,

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Look at his U18 PPG among forwards since 2000. 9th best. Ahead of Farabee. Wise didn't get to play with Hughes either at ES, which Farabee and Wahlstrom got to do. He's done this playing on the second line.

Hughes, Matthews, Eichel, Wahlstrom, Vanek Keller. Cammarata, Milano, Wise is the list. First six are or were NHL stars, besides two other players not yet drafted that have a chance to be NHL stars. Cammarata was a really good pre-draft player, but he's struggled against bigger and more physical players. Milano is very talented, but needs to get away from Torts.

Hughes, Matthews, and Eichel... we are talking about their -1 season, not their draft season there. Let’s note that right off the bat.

Vanek did his on a USHL team which is much different than doing it on the USNTDP team.

So you have Keller, Milano, Farabee, and Roslovic as your best comp’s, which is not bad company to be in in comparison to where he is ranked now. He also does have the smallest sample size out of that group with only 18 games played.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hughes, Matthews, and Eichel... we are talking about their -1 season, not their draft season there. Let’s note that right off the bat.

Agreed, but with Matthews and Eichel, the times of year these players were born doesn't match up, so this is often a problem with comparing players. My point wasn't to say he's comparable to those players, and Hughes is obviously a better scorer whether he's in his U17 or U18 season, but to say the pre-draft season he's having in this league pretty much only happens once every two seasons in this league. There have been plenty of first round picks to come through the NTDP who didn't put up the stats Wise is doing so. I don't know why it shouldn't count. In fact, most of the time the NTDP struggles in the USHL, so I don't think its fair to make it seem like he's facing inferior competition.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Agreed, but with Matthews and Eichel, the times of year these players were born doesn't match up, so this is often a problem with comparing players. My point wasn't to say he's comparable to those players, and Hughes is obviously a better scorer whether he's in his U17 or U18 season, but to say the pre-draft season he's having in this league pretty much only happens once every two seasons in this league. There have been plenty of first round picks to come through the NTDP who didn't put up the stats Wise is doing so. I don't know why it shouldn't count. In fact, most of the time the NTDP struggles in the USHL, so I don't think its fair to make it seem like he's facing inferior competition.

Yeah I mean he is in the company of some guys who either were mid or late 1sts. I think he should be being talked about in that range, and he’s not even a consensus 1st rounder right now most places.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
Looks like he’s struggling at u18’s with no goals and -4?
This team scores a lot. He should be getting lots of points, or at least not getting scored on.

Peeps

May 24, 2017
So you think every first rounder has been good at this tournament? No, I don't think so. Many haven't. I don't think teams are crossing players off their first round list based on four games where they don't score to their usual capability, but to each their own.

Edit: I'll list this out.

0 points: Wilde, Smith, Fonstad
1 point: Olofsson, Tychonick, Lundkvist, Zavgorodniy,

0 points:
Wilde (d-man)
Smith (d-man)
Fonstad (doesn't play in the top 6)

I mean I understand your point Buch. It's not because he doesn't put points on the board, that he's automatically out of the 1st round.

1 point:
Olofsson (I like this one)
Tychonick (d-man)
Lundkvist (d-man)
Zavgorodny (not even in the discussion for the 1st round)

Of all the comparaison you gave us, only one make sense and it's Olofsson. The rest is either a d-man, a player not in the discussion for the 1st round or a player not playing in the top 6.

Gotta make sure you compare them with Jake Wise. Jake Wise the centerman, playing top 6 and a potential 1st rounder.

The reason I like the Olofsson comparaison is because I also think he either belong to the bottom of the 1st or the start of the 2nd. Several scouting lists also goes this way ranking him between #28 and #31.

Even if Olofsson played pro this year and did good, it doesn't mean he can bring it everywhere as a top 6. That's what I'm wondering with Wise.

I just think that with all the questions surrounding him about whether he is or not a 1st, it would be a great opportunity to showcase that he is a 1st with a great tourney. So far I feel he's letting people a bittersweet taste with only 2A in 4 games. You'd expect more from a 1,55PPG in the USHL.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
stat lines...blah blah blah..

same people who bitched about Mittelstadt are looking foolish now...same will be for Brady Tkachuk.

I get it that we all love to see numbers and stats, I do as well. But some players you need to look deeper at, this whole US team has been disappointing overall, but Wise has played solid and has been buzzing around the net a lot. And anyone complaining about his plus/minus, can't blame the kid when our goalies have been missing beach balls at times.

I expect more from Wise, as he is in that 20-45 range depending on what a team likes/needs. He is dependable, good at the dot, responsible, and skilled, He is a player that need to stand out here, but unlike Turcotte (Turcotte drives the play, shoots more) he makes others better around him, he is a pass first type player and has been that way. I want Wise to shoot more and become a more selfish player at times, I think it would serve him well. He needs to be better if the US moves on, but he is more than capable of doing it.

Reactions: Vachon23

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3