C Elias Pettersson - Växjö Lakers HC, SHL (2017, 5th, VAN) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Again, you're not reading. Try reading. Try to understand.
It is pretty hard to understand how it can be so difficult. There is quite a difference between using this tournament as the only thing that matters vs considering it as a part of the whole. It really is a valid reason to do some thinking about the causes if he does end up performing poorly here.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
It is pretty hard to understand how it can be so difficult. There is quite a difference between using this tournament as the only thing that matters vs considering it as a part of the whole. It really is a valid reason to do some thinking about the causes if he does end up performing poorly here.
Yes, it is. It's infuriating that some people cant realize that.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Again, you're not reading. Try reading. Try to understand.

I’ve made it loud and clear. Stats don’t matter In this tournament. Goes both ways, wether the player lights it up or not.

I’ve provided great examples to back up my point of why stats does not determine how good he is as a nhl player. I can also provide a lot more. This is just 6 games on road to his career.

I’m not gonna brag about how great he was as the wjc in 6 months cause it doesn’t matter, or how bad he was.

Please kindly stop trying to act like a smart ass too and please don’t try to passive aggressively attack those who don’t agree with your oppoion.

I know exactly what type of user you are. I’ve seen the stuff you write about when it comes to canucks.

If he does bad your gonna make a big deal out of it. If he does well we won’t hear a Wimper from you. Right ? Like Everyone else that ripped the living hell out of horvat and boesers wjc performance. When they do well never hear from those again.

But yea don’t you plan to use his struggle as your agenda for whatever reason.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
I’ve made it loud and clear. Stats don’t matter In this tournament. Goes both ways, wether the player lights it up or not.

I’ve provided great examples to back up my point of why stats does not determine how good he is as a nhl player. I can also provide a lot more. This is just 6 games on road to his career.

I’m not gonna brag about how great he was as the wjc in 6 months cause it doesn’t matter, or how bad he was.

Please kindly stop trying to act like a smart ass too and please don’t try to passive aggressively attack those who don’t agree with your oppoion.

I know exactly what type of user you are. I’ve seen the stuff you write about when it comes to canucks.

If he does bad your gonna make a big deal out of it. If he does well we won’t hear a Wimper from you. Right ? Like Everyone else that ripped the living hell out of horvat and boesers wjc performance. When they do well never hear from those again.

Max friberg scored 10 goals for sweden in wjc and couldnt crack nhl

Reactions: Pekkafromswe

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C

There's been multitude of valid reasons why we believe the WJC don't mean squat. We Canuck fans have seen first hand how a 3-7 game tournament don't matter at all.

Remember Cody Hodgson? The dude that led team Canada in the 2008 WJC in points and looked dominant? Bust. (He had more points than John Tavares)

Remember Jordan Schroeder? That led at that time the most points for an american in the WJC and looked dominant? Bust.

Remember Olli Juolevi who was the best defensemen in the WJC, I'm not seeing him in the NHL (not saying he is a bust), but Jakob Chychrun who failed to make the WJC team that year has been in the NHL for more than 2 years.

Remember Brock Boeser, who looked mundane and invisible in the WJC? Is now a point a game in the NHL in his first season.

This gives many of our fans the conclusion that a 3-6 game tournament don't mean squat in the grander scheme of things. It's not like we are making up stories, it has happened to us. So no Ijuka, many of us here would disagree with your opinion. When I followed the WJC in 2008 and just joined this forum I had the same exact opinion as you, Cody Hodgson was a god... he was Godson...this tournament defines the young upcoming prospect....... boy was I wrong, boy were we all wrong. Remember what they always say... that we should learn from the mistakes of our ancestors? Well I'm telling you right now to learn from me. With all that said, it wouldn't hurt to see Petterson tear up this tournament.

Last edited:

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm

I’ve explained my reasoning in a number of posts, and if I try to explain myself again, you’ll just continue to be defensive. If you still dont get it (you obviously dont), I cant help you.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
There's been multitude of valid reasons why we believe the WJC don't mean squat. We Canuck fans have seen first hand how a 3-7 game tournament don't matter at all.

Remember Cody Hodgson? The dude that led team Canada in the 2008 WJC in points and looked dominant? Bust. (He had more points than John Tavares)

Remember Jordan Schroeder? That led at that time the most points for an american in the WJC and looked dominant? Bust.

Remember Olli Juolevi who was the best defensemen in the WJC, I'm not seeing him in the NHL (not saying he is a bust), but Jakob Chychrun who failed to make the WJC team that year has been in the NHL for more than 2 years.

Remember Brock Boeser, who looked mundane and invisible in the WJC? Is now a point a game in the NHL in his first season.

This gives many of our fans the conclusion that a 3-6 game tournament don't mean squat in the grander scheme of things. It's not like we are making up stories, it has happened to us. So no Ijuka, many of us here would disagree with your opinion. When I followed the WJC in 2008 and just joined this forum I had the same exact opinion as you, Cody Hodgson was a god... he was Godson...this tournament defines the young upcoming prospect....... boy was I wrong, boy were we all wrong. Remember what they always say... that we should learn from the mistakes of our ancestors? Well I'm telling you right now to learn from me. With all that said, it wouldn't hurt to see Petterson tear up this tournament.
Even if it's really a small sample, and players should be judged more of their play than just points..

Do you understand why some of those succeeded and some not?

Some of them were 19 years old, and some were 18 or younger. (Juolevi was 17 in 2016.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Points? It is about performance not points. Easy example, in 16 I found Laine much better than Pulju despite scoring less. And you honestly think Pettersson being a Canuck affects something regarding wjc 20 translation? He is a Swedish system's prospect at this point in time. And you dont even consider age?

A 7 game sample size is still a part of the season. A very important part because it is against peers, on na ice, with na game. SHL is not even close to how the game is played in NA.

And labeling Hodgson as a bust is misleading as I am sure you are aware.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
I would say the last world juniors was part underachieving and part unlucky for Pettersson. I still remember him completely dominating against Slovakia but just not being able to convert.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I would say the last world juniors was part underachieving and part unlucky for Pettersson. I still remember him completely dominating against Slovakia but just not being able to convert.
Well hopefully he converts A LOT this time theres a ton a pressure after what hes done in the shl so far this year

Gerard

Dec 24, 2017
New Jersey

Just because there are some outliers doesn’t mean the tournament has no meaning. What a silly thing to say.

Hischier is the most recent example of a prospect who’s draft position rose due to his play at WJC’s. He single handidly kept Switzerland in the game against Canada. Obviously his junior season and beyond help draft position as well but the WJC’s is usually put together with the current junior/college/pro season to determine draft position.

Another more recent note is McAvoy and Chabot who both shined against each other in the US vs CAN finals and both are doing amazingly today.

The WJC’s is considered to be a big tournament for the young guns and it helps show if they shine under pressure, if theyre dynamic, etc etc... But to act like the tournament means nothing just because the player can possibly do bad is just asinine. Sure, if Pettersson does poorly and then excels at the NHL level nobody cares, but if he does poorly and then his transition to the NHL doesnt go well - some will point to the WJC’s as the first tell tale sign that he wasn’t going to work out. And it isn’t unreasonable to think that.

DeltaSwede

Jun 15, 2011
Gbg
Just because there are some outliers doesn’t mean the tournament has no meaning. What a silly thing to say.

Hischier is the most recent example of a prospect who’s draft position rose due to his play at WJC’s. He single handidly kept Switzerland in the game against Canada. Obviously his junior season and beyond help draft position as well but the WJC’s is usually put together with the current junior/college/pro season to determine draft position.

Another more recent note is McAvoy and Chabot who both shined against each other in the US vs CAN finals and both are doing amazingly today.

The WJC’s is considered to be a big tournament for the young guns and it helps show if they shine under pressure, if theyre dynamic, etc etc... But to act like the tournament means nothing just because the player can possibly do bad is just asinine. Sure, if Pettersson does poorly and then excels at the NHL level nobody cares, but if he does poorly and then his transition to the NHL doesnt go well - some will point to the WJC’s as the first tell tale sign that he wasn’t going to work out. And it isn’t unreasonable to think that.

You're kind proving the point that the WJC is pretty randomized in terms of point production resulting in success.

Some do well and do well in the NHL

Som suck and do well in the NHL

etc.

1 goal in 1 period so far. Running the show on the PP

Gerard

Dec 24, 2017
New Jersey
You're kind proving the point that the WJC is pretty randomized in terms of point production resulting in success.

Some do well and do well in the NHL

Som suck and do well in the NHL

etc.

1 goal in 1 period so far. Running the show on the PP
I wouldn’t say it is random but my point was you can’t just dismiss the tournament as if it means nothing.

Posters who attack him for not being an all star at the tournament are out of line and posters who praise him for being an all star at the tournament are out of line - but there is certainly a happy medium and an ability to disect a WJC performance and make assumptions based off of that

DeltaSwede

Jun 15, 2011
Gbg
One of the best players on the ice in the first game a long with Rasmus Dahlin and Erik Brännström.

Finished with 1G and 1A but could have definitely gotten some more points on the board. Hit the post on a wrap around and a few missed chances by teammates.

For those that didn't follow the game on Swedish TV: Every time he touched the puck the commentators couldn't help but chuckle or throw out a "wow, he's smart".

Rasmus Dahlin and Elias Pettersson showed a lot of chemistry tonight.. makes one hope for Dahlin just a little, little more.

Excellent start to the tournament.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I'm salivating thinking of these two together on the Canucks next year

Dahlin, Boeser, Horvat and Peterssen would be an excellent core. I would put it up there with Edmonton, Winnipeg, Toronto, Tampa, New Jersey as teams with electric cores for the next 5-10 years.

Dahlin is key though, as I don't see much else on D that I love moving forward.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Dahlin, Boeser, Horvat and Peterssen would be an excellent core. I would put it up there with Edmonton, Winnipeg, Toronto, Tampa, New Jersey as teams with electric cores for the next 5-10 years.

Dahlin is key though, as I don't see much else on D that I love moving forward.

Agree with that, the last part especially. I would also like to see one more high end forward in a perfect world, i dont know what dahlen, lind, gadjovich, gaudette or even virtanen will top out at for us.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I wouldn’t say it is random but my point was you can’t just dismiss the tournament as if it means nothing.

Posters who attack him for not being an all star at the tournament are out of line and posters who praise him for being an all star at the tournament are out of line - but there is certainly a happy medium and an ability to disect a WJC performance and make assumptions based off of that

All I will say is if a player has a bad wjc, but has a fantastic season in their respective league (and the league they play in is of good quality) i do place little value in wjc. Have seen to many good players have a subpar week and half in wjc and then return to their leagues and tear it up all season and become good/great nhl players. Likewise if a person has an excellent wjc, but nothing overly special overall in the regular season I also put very little stock in it.

Reactions: yvrtojfk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino