C Elias Pettersson - Växjö Lakers HC, SHL (2017, 5th, VAN) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Adding to above, I don't think any players from 2017 have 90 point potential, including Pettersson, Hischier, and Patrick. 90 pts would surpass every player in the league except McDavid. No one in this draft has 90 pt potential unless they take a big (and unexpected) step forward in their D+1. 90 pt potential is the realm of guys like Matthews and maybe Draisaitl. They aren't available in every draft and odds would suggest no one in 2017 will ever hit 90 points unless league scoring levels inflate drastically in the coming years.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Adding to above, I don't think any players from 2017 have 90 point potential, including Pettersson, Hischier, and Patrick. 90 pts would surpass every player in the league except McDavid. No one in this draft has 90 pt potential unless they take a big (and unexpected) step forward in their D+1. 90 pt potential is the realm of guys like Matthews and maybe Draisaitl. They aren't available in every draft and odds would suggest no one in 2017 will ever hit 90 points unless league scoring levels inflate drastically in the coming years.

Eichel too you can't forget him

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Eichel too you can't forget him

Ya wasn't meant to be an exhaustive list but more to give the "quality" of player that has 90 point potential. But I agree Eichel is one of those (and they are few).

lawrence

May 19, 2012
90 point potential player

You don't have to say this 5 times.

In order for him to even reach that once, he needs like at least a 75 point linemate and a 50 point dman that shares the ice with him on a regular basis, kinda like when the sedins had ehrhoff. Not to mention another 40 point dman, as he needs to be sharing the ice with an offensive dman that has a very very very high zone entry from defensive end to offensive end and of course high end offensice skills that help with generating actual offence for him to reach the 90 point mark.

So,that's my 2 cent and I think those will be a requirements for him to hit 90.

Or if we somehow added Crosby or eichel or Kane and our them on the same line.

TheSnipeshow91

Aug 11, 2014
I'm not going to completely rule out Pettersson scoring close to 90 points in a season. Today's NHL is trending towards a more offensive skill and speed game. Just look at some of the younger players. You got guys like Laine, Mcdavid, Matthews, Eichel, Draisaitl Marner. There is a clear emphasis of offense as compared to defense, and we will see more and more goals scored in the NHL in the near future. I feel like we are going to have more than a few 80+ point players as soon as these younger players start taking over the league. Not to mention, if you give Pettersson some elite offensive winger *coughsvechnikovcough, he can put up some serious numbers, maybe even upwards of 80 points (50-60 assists,20-25 goals). It might be a stretch, but it isn't completely out of the question.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I'm not going to completely rule out Pettersson scoring close to 90 points in a season. Today's NHL is trending towards a more offensive skill and speed game. Just look at some of the younger players. You got guys like Laine, Mcdavid, Matthews, Eichel, Draisaitl Marner. There is a clear emphasis of offense as compared to defense, and we will see more and more goals scored in the NHL in the near future. I feel like we are going to have more than a few 80+ point players as soon as these younger players start taking over the league. Not to mention, if you give Pettersson some elite offensive winger *coughsvechnikovcough, he can put up some serious numbers, maybe even upwards of 80 points (50-60 assists,20-25 goals). It might be a stretch, but it isn't completely out of the question.

Sure but you're including at least two caveats to the projection, namely that league scoring inflates and he has an elite offensive player on his wing. Both possible but sort of unrelated to Pettersson and his own personal skill/production ceiling, no?

I think a better or at least fairer way to discuss a player's upside is to frame it in a reasonably static and neutral situation. What can a player produce in today's world and with a typical set of top linemates. Otherwise the projection becomes as much about the extraneous variables being hypothesized as the player themselves.

For my part I see Pettersson's ceiling more in the 65-75 point range based on my criteria above (current scoring rates, good but not elite linemates). That would put him on par with players like Draisaitl, Tarasenko, and Pastrnak, hardly a poor group to be lumped in with. Anything more than that seems a tad unfounded based on what Pettersson has shown to date.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
I don't think playing for Växjö next season is the best decision, Sam Hallams track record with juniors is pretty bad at best, although they have never had a junior of this quality either.

TheSnipeshow91

Aug 11, 2014
Sure but you're including at least two caveats to the projection, namely that league scoring inflates and he has an elite offensive player on his wing. Both possible but sort of unrelated to Pettersson and his own personal skill/production ceiling, no?

I think a better or at least fairer way to discuss a player's upside is to frame it in a reasonably static and neutral situation. What can a player produce in today's world and with a typical set of top linemates. Otherwise the projection becomes as much about the extraneous variables being hypothesized as the player themselves.

For my part I see Pettersson's ceiling more in the 65-75 point range based on my criteria above (current scoring rates, good but not elite linemates). That would put him on par with players like Draisaitl, Tarasenko, and Pastrnak, hardly a poor group to be lumped in with. Anything more than that seems a tad unfounded based on what Pettersson has shown to date.

My post was simply trying to justify a scenario where Pettersson would score upwards of 90 points in a season, and that it wasn't completely out of the realm of possibility. But I fully agree with you, with the current situation we are looking at for Elias (like you said, good but not elite linemates, scoring rate stays the same), he can put up 60-70 points in a season if he does pans out, and I'd be more than satisfied with that.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
I don't think playing for Växjö next season is the best decision, Sam Hallams track record with juniors is pretty bad at best, although they have never had a junior of this quality either.

Like you said, Vaxjo has not really have any junior of high quality to play in shl. Who is their best junior before Pettersson? Hogberg? So when you say track record, which talent have he misuse?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Never really thought Pettersson was good enough to be picked in the top-5 but I might be wrong. I just don't see him transitioning to the NHL with the same style of play and be a solid 1st liner.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Like you said, Vaxjo has not really have any junior of high quality to play in shl. Who is their best junior before Pettersson? Hogberg? So when you say track record, which talent have he misuse?

There's a very easy explanation for that. Växjö has been an SHL club for like 6 years. They have not been able to compete with bigger market teams for the best junior players.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
There's a very easy explanation for that. Växjö has been an SHL club for like 6 years. They have not been able to compete with bigger market teams for the best junior players.

Yes I know.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013

Växjö has had numerous juniors in the big league for a short while who actually did pretty well, but as soon as they have a bad game they get scratched for 10 straight games. This was the case with Högberg last year and YES it happened way before their injuryproblems were lessened. It's like he has no patience with young players meanwhile older players like Cory Murphy are allowed to be useless without having to fear getting scratched.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Aside from a relatively small number of posters repeating themselves, their isn't much hype. Their is just hope.

Canuck fans are excited, but we aren't stupid. He has high end talent, but significant obstacles to overcome (size/strength issue, initial quickness, can he play in traffic, can his game translate to the North American style).

nucks88

Jan 8, 2012
The Left Coast
Aside from a relatively small number of posters repeating themselves, their isn't much hype. Their is just hope.

Canuck fans are excited, but we aren't stupid. He has high end talent, but significant obstacles to overcome (size/strength issue, initial quickness, can he play in traffic, can his game translate to the North American style).

Really. People should stop thinking that HF boards is real life. Most Canucks fans are optimistic but realize he has a long way to go. It is just exciting for us to have a great prospect in the chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad