C Elias Pettersson - Växjö Lakers HC, SHL (2017, 5th, VAN) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Question to the Swedish fans, is Pettersson more of a playmaking or goal scoring Center? And who does he compare to? I don't see Backstrom when I watch him play, correct me if I am wrong. If he were, the Canucks would have a Backstrom-Ovie duo in the making with Boeser. If he does play like Backstrom, playmaking elite skills. The Canucks could have one of the most exciting duos this decade.

Cquant

May 14, 2015
You seem to think that wjc is soooo important for career success

I think the statement was that the WJC means nothing. With the emphasis on the nothing. Every game he plays means something, even the exhibition games. Elias hasn't been good on the international stage, and the question is why.
The WJC is a good stage. He gets to play against some of the premier players his age. But it won't be career defining if he doesn't produce. That doesn't mean that these games have no significance though.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I think the statement was that the WJC means nothing. With the emphasis on the nothing. Every game he plays means something, even the exhibition games. Elias hasn't been good on the international stage, and the question is why.
The WJC is a good stage. He gets to play against some of the premier players his age. But it won't be career defining if he doesn't produce. That doesn't mean that these games have no significance though.
these games have zero significance, other than maybe helping there paycheck and hype.

This is a TSN hyped event to get a ton of $$$$, I swear every year somebody thinks these games matter.

This event is exactly what it should be, some fun hockey watching a bunch of kids play hard, that's it

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
This tourney means little for individual evaluation in the sense that it’s so short, there is a lot of luck involved and massive team effects..

There is something to be taken in the extreme performances. If you look at the complete pic of what’s goin on, there is value.
Unfortunately people often stop at production and wins, ignore context and call it a day.

Boeser crashed at the WJr due to being buried by the skating of his elite counterparts. Skip ahead a couple yrs, and well... his legs have caught up a bit to the skill/IQ that got him selected in the first place and now he thrives. His lack of performance/skating meant a lot in the moment... but obviously meant nothing 2 yrs later in this specific case.

What I want to see.... If Sweden is a medal contender/finalist.. I want to see Pettersson leading the way.. drawing the top pairings, toughest matchups, 1st unit PP, etc.. opening things up for the depth of his team. If he’s able to do that and the team medals... then solid. If he leads the team in scoring while leading them to a medal, then best case scenario.

If the team falters, then it gets difficult to evaluate an individual performance unless it was extreme - extremely great or extremely bad - while the team losses...would depend on the context of how the losses/performance go down.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
People love to bring out the bust label after the WJC. Dubois went through it and look at him now, centering the top on a team in a playoff position.
Sure its a great place to boost awareness to a player but its also a short tourny where people play together for more often then not the 1st time.
Pettersson should dominate but if he doesnt i wouldnt be rushing to bring out the bust label or anything like that

Reactions: Knucklehead

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
People love to bring out the bust label after the WJC. Dubois went through it and look at him now, centering the top on a team in a playoff position.
Sure its a great place to boost awareness to a player but its also a short tourny where people play together for more often then not the 1st time.
Pettersson should dominate but if he doesnt i wouldnt be rushing to bring out the bust label or anything like that

Not sure PLD is the best example for your argument...He looks okay. However of all the teams in a playoff position, CLB undoubtedly has the worst Cs. PLD is not a #1 C in the NHL, he's playing at least 1 slot above where he should be.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Not sure PLD is the best example for your argument...He looks okay. However of all the teams in a playoff position, CLB undoubtedly has the worst Cs. PLD is not a #1 C in the NHL, he's playing at least 1 slot above where he should be.
its ok if you dont watch Columbus much. Hes been doing the little things and solid defensively plus he is being rewarded with points (12 in last 13 games). The whole line came to life when Dubois was put their as noone could click with Panarin. Hell he could even have more points but Anderson went through a little rough stretch and missed some grade A chances set up by Dubois

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
168 pounds now (from 161 when he was drafted).
Maybe 175-180 by training camp, as a realistic best case scenario.

I don’t think the size is going to be any issue in the end. I don’t know if he ever gets to 200+ pounds, but, I think he easily gets to 185-190 when he’s done, and in today’s game, that will be big enough.
His legs are really skinny. His skating will only benefit from increased strength in his legs.

Kinda reminds you of a couple of Swedes who haters say play
soft named Hank and Danny. They were about the same size as Pettersson at 19 years of age. They never got much bigger, just stronger and for years were impossible to knock off the puck.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Kinda reminds you of a couple of Swedes who haters say play
soft named Hank and Danny. They were about the same size as Pettersson at 19 years of age. They never got much bigger, just stronger and for years were impossible to knock off the puck.
The twins play at 185-190 so that is kind of a significant difference

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Canucks prospects have a history of doing the opposite in the NHL compared to the WJC recently. Schroeder has the most points for USA in history I believe, and hes a bust. Hodgson had one of the highest point totals in a single year at WJC and he busted. Boeser was crap and he is an elite NHL player. Virtanen was crap and he is an okay NHL player.

So for Pettersson's sake I hope he tanks in this tourney. It'd be funny watching all the people who will call him a bustif he tanks that will be left eating crow if/when he does the opposite in the NHL.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
its ok if you dont watch Columbus much. Hes been doing the little things and solid defensively plus he is being rewarded with points (12 in last 13 games). The whole line came to life when Dubois was put their as noone could click with Panarin. Hell he could even have more points but Anderson went through a little rough stretch and missed some grade A chances set up by Dubois
Haha, whatever you say bud. I remember getting a lot of flak for saying we were rushing with the Wennberg praise too...It takes more than a run of 15 games of high quality play to be a #1 C in the NHL. Let's see him keep it up first.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Haha, whatever you say bud. I remember getting a lot of flak for saying we were rushing with the Wennberg praise too...It takes more than a run of 15 games of high quality play to be a #1 C in the NHL. Let's see him keep it up first.
Well I did word it as "centering the 1st line" which he is and doing quite well. Its not even about points, the most encouraging thing is his overall game and what hes doing to get those points.
I was never on board with the Wennberg as a potential number 1 but the game Dubois plays has me a lot more excited about him being a number 1 then Wennberg ever getting there.

But anyway, back on topic i dont think WJC results should make Vancouver fans get too low or high.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Well I did word it as "centering the 1st line" which he is and doing quite well. Its not even about points, the most encouraging thing is his overall game and what hes doing to get those points.
I was never on board with the Wennberg as a potential number 1 but the game Dubois plays has me a lot more excited about him being a number 1 then Wennberg ever getting there.

But anyway, back on topic i dont think WJC results should make Vancouver fans get too low or high.

We’re fairly used to rarely having prospects to watch at WJC and as a group we’re fairly apathetic.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I for one will use this tournament when I evaluate Elias season. Sure, hes putting up points in the SHL for now, but he did the same thing in the HA last year. The quality of competition in the SHL have gone down year after year, which isnt that weird since Sweden have somewhere around 130 players on contract in NHL/AHL, as well as a lot of players in the KHL or the NLA. The league (SHL) isnt what it once was. A lot of you dont take this in consideration.

Considering how bad Elias was this summer and last year vs NA-teams on smaller rinks, where his weeknesses (small, lanky, bad skating) were showing. Inability to raise his game in elimination games isnt something that just describes him - juniors in Sweden isnt quite used to be "the guy" on their teams, since a lot of them play secondary roles on their mens teams. This is a scene for them to show that they can step up in those situations. If Elias has another disappointing showing, where he falls to the ice in almost every challenge or dosn't produce, it sure as hell will affect peoples judgement of him, and rightfully so.

Heres for hoping that he wont suck, though

wait wait, your going to use this 6 game tournament, as his evaluation over his 45 game season?

so lets say he struggles, 3 point tourney, your literally going to use this as your agenda for the next 4 months? (typical hfboards on Canuck prospect mentality)

the stuff you literally just wrote, are the same crap I guess people like you wrote about boeser, horvet to an extent Virtanen, leading up to their wjc's. It's like a whole slew of their negatives, and focusing on that, rather then a big picture.

"
Considering how bad Elias was this summer"

didn't his coach say that he was their best player on the ice or most skilled player on the ice at one time? someone retweet that.

anyways, would love to see Gadj, Lockwood, Peterson light it up, if they don't not a big deal. won't sweat about it.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Elias Petterssen is poised to be the top rookie in the NHL in 2018. His performance has been phenomenal in the SHL. Everyone should try to catch at least one Sweden game in the upcoming tournament.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
wait wait, your going to use this 6 game tournament, as his evaluation over his 45 game season?

so lets say he struggles, 3 point tourney, your literally going to use this as your agenda for the next 4 months? (typical hfboards on Canuck prospect mentality)

the stuff you literally just wrote, are the same crap I guess people like you wrote about boeser, horvet to an extent Virtanen, leading up to their wjc's. It's like a whole slew of their negatives, and focusing on that, rather then a big picture.

"
Considering how bad Elias was this summer"

didn't his coach say that he was their best player on the ice or most skilled player on the ice at one time? someone retweet that.

anyways, would love to see Gadj, Lockwood, Peterson light it up, if they don't not a big deal. won't sweat about it.
Again, you're not reading. Try reading. Try to understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad