C Connor McDavid - Erie Otters, OHL (2015 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
You anger JT.

Tavares was a great prospect, was hyped alot and has obviously turned into a great NHLer.. but the skating if what seperates McDavid from him, at the same point in their careers. I honestly can't see a flaw in his game. He's got decent size (5'11"), ridiculous speed and hands and outstanding hockey sense to boot and he's only going to get better and better.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
McDavid, from the one time i saw him which was last night, was the best player on either team bar none. I saw Galchenyuk earlier in the year and he is definitely a little more seasoned but McDavid is phenomenal. The kid's hands, overall offensive and defensive awareness was incredible. When there was cycling down low, he always stayed low in the slot so he could get back in a hurry. Honestly, he looks like he's already 6' (not sure what he's listed at).. definitely hope to see more of him.

NHL Fanatic

Oct 4, 2010
GTA
McDavid, from the one time i saw him which was last night, was the best player on either team bar none. I saw Galchenyuk earlier in the year and he is definitely a little more seasoned but McDavid is phenomenal. The kid's hands, overall offensive and defensive awareness was incredible. When there was cycling down low, he always stayed low in the slot so he could get back in a hurry. Honestly, he looks like he's already 6' (not sure what he's listed at).. definitely hope to see more of him.

He's about 5'11 but over 6' with skates. I sincerely believe he is the best prospect since Crosby. Outstanding hockey sense, he is thinking like 4 steps ahead of the play. Defensive game will need tuning up but he's only 16 so he's got so much time.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
He was great when I saw him Saturday vs Plymouth.

His 1st assist was a lot like one that I've seen a highlight of on youtube. Made a great play to get around a guy in the corner and hold him off while going towards the net and when everyone focused in on him, he hit the guy on the back door for the one timer.

On his goal he came open in the slot, enough to call it a mini-breakaway from right in between the circles. I think the problem was he actually faked the goalie out too much and ended up going right back into his pad, but then picked up his own rebound when he was on the goal line and bounced it off the goalies skate and in.

His other assist was nothing special. Just a result of touching the puck and the other 2 guys making the play and he just happened to get the 2nd assist.

There were a few plays where he really blew me away defensively. I want to say there was one penalty kill where he stole the puck 3 or 4 times.

The one thing that kind of disappointed me was on a couple of 1 on 1 or 2 on 2 situations he kind of got dominated, or didn't create anything. But hey, you can't be perfect on every play in every game

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Tavares was a great prospect, was hyped alot and has obviously turned into a great NHLer.. but the skating if what seperates McDavid from him, at the same point in their careers. I honestly can't see a flaw in his game. He's got decent size (5'11"), ridiculous speed and hands and outstanding hockey sense to boot and he's only going to get better and better.

Tavares' skating was obviously a weak point in his game, so you have to consider how good his hands and hockey sense must have been to put up the numbers that he did. It was simply other-worldly. Have to wonder how his stats would have looked with McDavid's speed.

Black

Apr 28, 2012
Tavares' skating was obviously a weak point in his game, so you have to consider how good his hands and hockey sense must have been to put up the numbers that he did. It was simply other-worldly. Have to wonder how his stats would have looked with McDavid's speed.

Offset that with the fact that Tavares' coach in Oshawa would let him take two-and-a-half minute shifts that involved mainly flying the defensive zone prematurely, if not lurking behind the opposing defensemen in the neutral zone waiting for a breakaway pass. That is not an exaggeration, and it is nothing like the way I have seen McDavid play.

IMO, McDavid is better than Tavares was at 15 in every skill component of the game except for picking corners from the hashmarks in, where Tavares was deadly. Although for whatever it's worth, Tavares was 8 months younger than McDavid in his rookie OHL season.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
How's he playing? The points don't seem to be coming and threads or at least posts on HF about him have dried up as well. What's going on in Erie? Plus, anybody hear about if he gets an invite to Team Canada U18 camp?

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
How's he playing? The points don't seem to be coming and threads or at least posts on HF about him have dried up as well. What's going on in Erie? Plus, anybody hear about if he gets an invite to Team Canada U18 camp?

He's slowed down a bit of late, but I think that had to be expected. As talented as he is, there's a need to get stronger.

It also doesn't help that the Otters (as a team) have really hit a dry spell of late. They could be making a run at the 1st overall pick (back to back "exceptionals" with Sean Day?) if they don't pick up their socks.

As for the Under 18's...we won't know that for like another 6 weeks. If I had to guess, I'd say he does. Canada has finally started to bring some underage players to the event in recent years and I think we've been sending better teams there because of it (like last year's bronze medal squad who had Sam Reinhart, Darnell Nurse, and Josh Morrissey playing important roles).

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto

He'll certainly get invited to the camp (Ekblad did)...I think he has an excellent chance at making the team - he should be one of the best offensive players there.

He's slowed down a bit this season...but he couldn't have been expected to keep up his initial pace. In addition, now that the NHL is back, people aren't paying as much attention to jr. hockey.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
He'll certainly get invited to the camp (Ekblad did)...I think he has an excellent chance at making the team - he should be one of the best offensive players there.

He's slowed down a bit this season...but he couldn't have been expected to keep up his initial pace. In addition, now that the NHL is back, people aren't paying as much attention to jr. hockey.

I think we are talking about the IIHF U18's in April and Ekblad never got invited last year. Ekblad would get invited this year if Barrie is out of the playoffs I am sure, but he will be an underage playing with mostly 95's.

McDavid will be a double underage as this tourney is mostly for '95 born, but I think he still has a pretty good shot at getting invited. McDavid will for sure get an invite to the U18 Hlinka camp in August for '96's.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I think we are talking about the IIHF U18's in April and Ekblad never got invited last year. Ekblad would get invited this year if Barrie is out of the playoffs I am sure, but he will be an underage playing with mostly 95's.

McDavid will be a double underage as this tourney is mostly for '95 born, but I think he still has a pretty good shot at getting invited. McDavid will for sure get an invite to the U18 Hlinka camp in August for '96's.

You are correct, the IIHF tourny in April is what I was after. This year in Sochi, Russia. A little tune up for the Olympics.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Think this kid has been told to bulk up yet? I'm not saying he's a weasel but by his draft year, how big do you guys expect him to be?

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Think this kid has been told to bulk up yet? I'm not saying he's a weasel but by his draft year, how big do you guys expect him to be?

He's still incredibly young. Let nature take it's course. I'm sure he'll be put on a top of the line strength and condition program over the summer. By the time he's 20 I'm sure this won't be an issue whatsoever.

stamkosisboss

Mar 27, 2010
Leafs Nation
Hey anyone catch his game tonight? How was his goal?
It looks like he is on pace to beat Connolly's rookie record for the Otters, the first of many records he is likely to break!

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Despite my pre-season prediction that a 100 pt season was in the cards for McDavid and despite his mid-season swoon, I've been nothing but impressed with the play of McDavid this year. I fully expect for him to play for Canada's U18 team in April in Sochi Russia...to enjoy a great off-season and then comeback next year to an improved Erie team (we hope) and tear the OHL a new ***hole. He's a good kid with a bright future.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/18/s...dom.html?smid=tw-nytimessports&seid=auto&_r=0

Last edited:

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
What are people's opinion of him this season? Otters have 5 games left this season and McDavid has 60 points in 58 games.

I know lots were thinking he'd make a run at 100 points, but he definitely looked strong; particularly early on. Is 100 points in the picture for next year? WJC? CHL player of the year?

It looks like he slowed down a lot this year. Here's his stats over intervals this year

Games | Goals | Assists | Points | PPG | 63 game pace
10 | 5 | 7 | 12 | 1.20 | 32-44-76
20 | 11 | 15 | 26 | 1.30 | 35-47-82
30 | 17 | 20 | 37 | 1.23 | 36-42-78
40 | 20 | 29 | 49 | 1.23 | 32-46-78
50 | 23 | 30 | 53 | 1.06 | 29-38-67

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad