Proposal: Buffalo Proposals for Hanifin (Merged)

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Sabres aren't trading Sam while his value is this low. I just don't see it happening.
That's what was said literally said in the summer, now his value is even lower as it is a few extra months of failing to establish himself as a Center in the NHL and he seems to be struggling to put points up from wing too. I think his game has improved slightly from last season, but he can't produce right now. Hoping he bounces back is as risky as trading him now when his value is not very high - he can go either way from here. Are we going to wait until he becomes a Yakupov being traded for a 3rd round pick - I mean he could regress, it's not impossible, especially now that he is being put in a tough situation by the coaching staff? I don't see this as very good asset management either.

JCLA

Feb 23, 2017
Uh I say no.

Just Reinhart for Hanafin. Two underachieving high draft picks flipped for each other based on other teams needs.

Adding Kane is overkill.

Wake Up TehDoak, it's time to go to work!!

I don't like trading Hanifin, and I really don't want to trade Hanifin, but I think the value might equal out but it's not something the canes would trade hanifin for. They aren't moving Hanifin unless it's for a for sure 1C. See: Jones and Johansen.

I don't know what other canes fans will say

Last edited:

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Canes are not trading Hanifin for a guy that could walk away plus a guy that is not living up to his potential. Hanifin is putting it all together this year and has looked great in the offensive zone while improving his defensive zone play, too.

I'd love to trade for Kane and Reinhart, but my offer from the Canes would be 2018 first, Rask, and Bean. If you'd prefer a more proven defensive player, I'd do Fleury instead of Bean, but then the package changes to Rask, Fleury, 2018 2nd, 2019 4th.

Reactions: cptjeff

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
The Reinhart for Hanifin ship has sailed. Reinhart is underperforming and Hanifin is developing well.

BMac said on NBCSN last night that Botterill would only trade Reinhart (or O'Reilly or Ristolainen) if he was blown away by the offer. Hanifin represents an offer he'd be blown away by. There's no way Francis makes this deal right now. Adding Kane or anyone else might make it work from the Canes side, though I doubt it, but that also fails to meet the "blown away" criteria from Buffalo's side.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
That's what was said literally said in the summer, now his value is even lower as it is a few extra months of failing to establish himself as a Center in the NHL and he seems to be struggling to put points up from wing too. I think his game has improved slightly from last season, but he can't produce right now. Hoping he bounces back is as risky as trading him now when his value is not very high - he can go either way from here. Are we going to wait until he becomes a Yakupov being traded for a 3rd round pick - I mean he could regress, it's not impossible, especially now that he is being put in a tough situation by the coaching staff? I don't see this as very good asset management either.

2017-18
Eichel w/ Reinhart GF 60%
Eichel w/o Reinhart GF 48%

We lose when Eichel is on the ice without Reinhart
We win when Eichel is on the ice with Reinhart

Reinhart makes high talent players better... he has for his entire career.
But... Reinhart is relatively useless when playing with middle and bottom tier talent.

Some may not value that type of player, he certainly has his flaws... and he's certainly lineup limited.
Others value a guy who makes their best player(s) better...

Yakupov never did anything positive on the ice. While stat sheet fans may make the correlation.... NHL scouts/GMs are much smarter than that.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If they trade Hanifin shouldn't they focus on C and not on W?
Aho, TT, Williams, Lindholm, Skinner, they have talent on the wing.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Kane is playing for a contract and gone after this season. Sabres need to add much more to make this deal work.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
A proposal that could benefit both teams by trading areas of depth.

Carolina has fantastic young DMen and defensively strong - 10th best GA, but they can't score. Buffalo is the 2nd worst GA, but they have lots of high end young forwards under team control for many years. They also have Eichel, O'Reilly and Mittelstadt (prospect) solidifying their Centres for the rest of this decade.

Proposing:

Hanifin

For

Reinhart
Nylander

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I like Kane and think he'd be a good fit on the Hurricanes but he's a UFA next year. Carolina isn't built to win this year so no point having him for 1 year and then walk. If Carolina really want shim they can get him in the offseason for cash. As mentioned the Hanifin for Reinhart train has left the station and barring something unforeseen it's not coming back. Hanifin is playing great this year and is developing very nicely. He's not getting traded for anything less than a true 1C and even then I would think other d-men would be moved before him.

Reinhart's value is low right now. I don't even think I'd give up the Canes 1st this year for him. For Kane, I don't know what the asking price is. I'm sure the Sabres are looking to sell off to the highest bidder at the deadline and that's just not going to be Carolina.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Hanifin isn't available for quantity. If the Canes are trading one of their top-4 D then a #1C has to be the return.

ROR for Faulk is the only deal that is close

Reactions: MinJaBen

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Hanifin has outscored Reinhart this season while providing B-minus level defense. Reinhart is just more of what we already have, and Nylander doesn't exactly inspire as the add-on. Think you're gonna get a hard pass here.

Reactions: cptjeff

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
ROR for Hanafin makes more sense here.
agreed

it makes no sense to do it for Kane or Reinhart or both, it adds a whole lot of nothing to carolina

Kane is a free agent with baggage and Reinhart is a devalued 2nd OA that buffalo cant get rid of fast enough. if they truly thought otherwise theyd trade ROR and use Reinhart in his place, the fact that they wont is telling.

actions speak louder than words

and considering the Sabres obvious need for defense and stated depth at center it seems like an obvious fit

the fact that it hasnt been done means one of 3 things

it hasnt been offered ......or it has and has been declined or buffAlo doesnt think it needs to improve its defense at the cost of ROR

neither option says much for Reinhart

Last edited:

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Love how both sides say their side is giving up too much. You all know what that generally means in terms of value. Now whether it actually gets the GMs to make the tradee based on what they are going for right now with their teams is anyones guess.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Love how both sides say their side is giving up too much. You all know what that generally means in terms of value. Now whether it actually gets the GMs to make the tradee based on what they are going for tight now with their teams is anyones guess.

While generally that is true, it could be that one side just isnt willing to offer what it would take

i could easily see tim murray valuing ROR over Hanifin and not wishing to downgrade to Reinhart to acquire him
Hanifin while good isnt as established as ROR

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
This trade would only make somewhat of sense if the Canes are in playoff contention come TDL. If not, this would hurt them badly. Regardless, Buffalo benefits way more than the Canes, especially if Kane doesn't re-sign.

Also, I think Hanifin can fetch so much more than that. Hanifin for ROR would make sense. If Buffalo fans don't like it, then that's too bad because Hanifin would solidify your top pairing in Buffalo. I could see Hanifin and Risto playing well together.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
RoR for Faulk makes sense for the Canes, not Hanifin. I don't think RoR is as easy an asset to move as others do. Not everyone has that much room to acquire that contract. He's a desirable player but he's not an offensive juggernaut, with a hefty price tag. I wouldn't move Hanifin for him, but he's a player I could see the canes pursuing if they can make the money work.

I think there's no way the Canes are taking on RoR's contract whichout some money going back the other way. The canes have Slavin and Pesce contracts kicking in next year. New owner or not they don't have that much money to spend.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
RoR for Faulk makes sense for the Canes
This makes about 0 sense for Buffalo so it is a non-starter.
This trade would only make somewhat of sense if the Canes are in playoff contention come TDL. If not, this would hurt them badly. Regardless, Buffalo benefits way more than the Canes, especially if Kane doesn't re-sign.

Also, I think Hanifin can fetch so much more than that. Hanifin for ROR would make sense. If Buffalo fans don't like it, then that's too bad because Hanifin would solidify your top pairing in Buffalo. I could see Hanifin and Risto playing well together.
Canes are rumoured to be sellling the franchise no? What if they want to make a playoff push to get revenues/attendance up to fetch a better return on the franchise? Kane+Reinhart helps this way more than Hanifin over Gorges on your bottom pairing.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
From a Huricanes perspective, as a neutral fan that pays attention to them...

Evander Kane signs an extension or no deal. Probably no deal anyways IMO.

Hanifin's value in 2 years will be much higher (except for his cap hit going up). If they plan to trade him, they should wait until he's worth more.

I think they trade Faulk for the high end forward they are seeking, and build their D around Hanifin and Slavin ( and Pesce Fleury Bean ).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad