Proposal: Buffalo Proposals for Hanifin (Merged)

FaulkYouAho

ferla memes
Sep 14, 2015
North Carolina
nope i say no to ROR Kane and Reinhart. i never liked the idea of trading Hanifin. there were trades that were realistic for him but i wouldn't trade him just yet. I think that Hanifin could become a Hedman possibly and i wouldn't trade him for anything less of a super star center. Hanifin is tied for 28th in defensemen points and is proving what he can do and why we drafted him at 5 in the best draft in a WHILE. The only defensemen is one of Mckeowen Carrick and Bean. Bean is the one most likely to get traded out of the 3.
Hanifin has taken that next step while reinhart has taken a step back this year like the rest of the their team except maybe risto Eichel and ROR

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
nope i say no to ROR Kane and Reinhart. i never liked the idea of trading Hanifin. there were trades that were realistic for him but i wouldn't trade him just yet. I think that Hanifin could become a Hedman possibly and i wouldn't trade him for anything less of a super star center. Hanifin is tied for 28th in defensemen points and is proving what he can do and why we drafted him at 5 in the best draft in a WHILE. The only defensemen is one of Mckeowen Carrick and Bean. Bean is the one most likely to get traded out of the 3.
Hanifin has taken that next step while reinhart has taken a step back this year like the rest of the their team except maybe risto Eichel and ROR

Hanifin for ROR you think about long and hard...but probably decline due to Hanifin's perceived upside and promise he's shown lately to meeting those upside projections. If Hanifin were to be traded, I highly, highly doubt it would occur mid-season. If Hanifin keeps doing what's he doing lately, his next contract is going to be quite expensive for a budget team like CAR, so signing him to a deal he's worth may prove very problematic for Francis this coming summer.

I'd think that CAR is much more likely to make a D for C trade in the offseason if we're talking about one of Hanifin, Fleury or Faulk. Prospects like Bean, etc. are probably available now for upgrades, but their value probably won't reel in the caliber of scoring forward CAR really needs.

My personal thought is that Faulk is probably traded this off-season, and the team roles with Hanifin as their primary offensive D moving forward. Regardless of my personal feelings here, I think that Francis probably values Bean above all his other D prospects due to the fact that Bean projects as no other D prospect we have in the system does -a potential 50pt defenseman. If you can get someone like Reinhart from BUF for Bean and a small add, then I think Francis strongly considers it. BUF probably doesn't consider that and asks for Hanifin which ends the discussion.

As CAR's D is currently structured, trading one of of the group opens a gaping hole that neither Dahlbeck or any prospect is ready to fill. Because of that, I think we have to wait til this summer for a C upgrade or we'll see a futures deal this year.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
From where I'm sitting, right now, there is only one player on the market that Hanifin could conceivably be traded for: An extended John Tavares. Yes, it would probably be a package thing, but if you don't have a piece of that magnitude coming back to the Canes, it ain't gonna happen. Ryan O'Reilly is a good player, but Hanifin seems to have made the jump from potential to real, and while he still has room to improve, he's already of a caliber that's very hard to find. Good defensemen are worth more than good forwards, so you gotta be willing to pay up if you want him.

Heretic

May 25, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
From where I'm sitting, right now, there is only one player on the market that Hanifin could conceivably be traded for: An extended John Tavares. Yes, it would probably be a package thing, but if you don't have a piece of that magnitude coming back to the Canes, it ain't gonna happen. Ryan O'Reilly is a good player, but Hanifin seems to have made the jump from potential to real, and while he still has room to improve, he's already of a caliber that's very hard to find. Good defensemen are worth more than good forwards, so you gotta be willing to pay up if you want him.

I don't see anybody going to Carolina with ownership questions/relocation questions floating around. I'm not even trying to single out Carolina here, Florida, Columbus, Carolina, Arizona are the teams that might be involved in the Houston/Seattle horsetrading, one or two of those teams moves and one more expansion team comes in imo.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Then your opinion is wrong. Reinhart is a better hockey player than Evander Kane.

youre entitled to your opinion, as are we all and Im not particularly a fan of having kane's attitude on a team I root for. in fact I wouldnt want him on my team. but from a pure talent and production standpoint, there is no question that Kane is the more talented and productive hockey player, Kane.>>>>is better than Reinhart and its not even close

kane
2015-2016 20 15 35 -14
2016-17 28 15 43 -17
2017-18 12 12 24 -3

reinhart
2015-2016 23 19 42 -8
2016-17 17 30 47 -11
2017-18 5 5 10 -9

and Reinhart played in 15% more games in that time span

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
I don't see anybody going to Carolina with ownership questions/relocation questions floating around. I'm not even trying to single out Carolina here, Florida, Columbus, Carolina, Arizona are the teams that might be involved in the Houston/Seattle horsetrading, one or two of those teams moves and one more expansion team comes in imo.
Well, you can add NYI and a few others to that list then, too. CAR would probably do better with a new ownership group that will spend more. They have a really sweet deal with PNC arena, so that's a plus for them, too.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
youre entitled to your opinion, as are we all and Im not particularly a fan of having kane's attitude on a team I root for. in fact I wouldnt want him on my team. but from a pure talent and production standpoint, there is no question that Kane is the more talented and productive hockey player, Kane.>>>>is better than Reinhart and its not even close

kane
2015-2016 20 15 35 -14
2016-17 28 15 43 -17
2017-18 12 12 24 -3

reinhart
2015-2016 23 19 42 -8
2016-17 17 30 47 -11
2017-18 5 5 10 -9

and Reinhart played in 15% more games in that time span

Not that I don't agree with Kane being the better player to date, but did you pull that analysis out of '72, as your name suggests?

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Yeah, I don’t watch a lot of buffalo games, but doesn’t Kane have more goals than Reinhart has points this season?

Sam must have a ton of intangibles to make up that kind of gap.

If by intangibles you mean hockey sense, then yes. Kane takes a lot of shots, forechecks well, and skates fast. I take Reinhart over him 10 times out of 10, though. He hasn't had a brilliant start to the season, but it's not entirely attributable to any fault with him. When he was playing center, he was getting the worst wingers Buffalo has to offer, and our PP (where he collected most of his goals as a net-front guy) has gone from best to worst in the league. No doubt Buffalo needs him to be better, but there are factors outside of his control that haven't done him any favors, too.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I just don't understand the Reinhart apologists in this board. He really brings very little to the table. He's not playing on any good teams top 6. its like you are just holding onto hope or something. Evander Kane certainly could be in just about any top 6 though.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Not that I don't agree with Kane being the better player to date, but did you pull that analysis out of '72, as your name suggests?
no thats just the basics.

reinhart just isnt very good and nothing you can post will change that

he's 2OA who is a 3C 4 years after making the NHL thats all the evidence i need

you complaining about my analysis says more about your inadequacies than it does mine.

how many teams WILLINGLY use a 2OA to draft a 3C

certain things are self evident, but obviously by your post, not to you

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
no thats just the basics.

reinhart just isnt very good and nothing you can post will change that

he's 2OA who is a 3C 4 years after making the NHL thats all the evidence i need

you complaining about my analysis says more about your inadequacies than it does mine.

how many teams WILLINGLY use a 2OA to draft a 3C

certain things are self evident, but obviously by your post, not to you

Not even...

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Not even...
stokes, no offense Ive known you forever and we are friends. so i know you know your stuff. a smarter poster than you is hard to find. I know that

but I know you well enough to know youre far from happy with his development

thats all im implying

after 4 seasons we both expect a player of his pedigree to be more dynamic

if he showed that id be much more positive minded of his future

Last edited:

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I just don't understand the Reinhart apologists in this board. He really brings very little to the table. He's not playing on any good teams top 6. its like you are just holding onto hope or something. Evander Kane certainly could be in just about any top 6 though.
Any team like that would go nowhere.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Any team like that would go nowhere.
alladyyn no disrespect but youre his biggest fan..... he could suck and youd still defend him

thats admirable truly it is. but at some point you need to exert your will

with all of sams talent youd have expected him to challenge ROR for the 2 C spot to me the fact that he hasnt thats troubling....

kane has his own issues certainly, he might be the most egocentric player in the NHL, but on the ice he is dynamic. reinhart needs to take notes

Last edited:

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
alladyyn no disrespect but youre his biggest fan..... he could suck and youd still defend him

thats admirable truly it is. but at some point you need to exert your will

with all of sams talent youd have expected him to challenge ROR for the 2 C spot to me the fact that he hasnt thats troubling....
Not all players can have their lineup spots gifted to them.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Not all players can have their lineup spots gifted to them.

we agree, but thats part of his issue, he's waiting to be gifted. his mindset should be: "that man has MY spot. im taking it back "......thats what i mean by dynamic

sometimes a little stubbornness is a good thing

that was always my issue with Kyle okposo when he was an Islander. he has all the talent in the world but instead of playing with an edge he coasted.

it frustrated Islander fans to no end

Last edited by a moderator:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
stokes, no offense Ive known you forever and we are friends. so i know you know your stuff. a smarter poster than you is hard to find. I know that

You joined HF on November 24 2017. How have you known stokes forever? Were you previously on HF under a different alias or do you know him in real life or on a different board? I'm not poking at you with this post, I was genuinely curious.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Per the title, at this point I don't see either side saying no to this. Carolina has the capspace, Buffalo doesn't need Kane as we are going nowhere. Canes get someone that may work out at C long term and an elite level rental for playoff push. Sabres get much needed high-end D prospect.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Uh I say no.

Just Reinhart for Hanafin. Two underachieving high draft picks flipped for each other based on other teams needs.

Adding Kane is overkill.
Hanifin is not underachieving. Sam is. We could have maybe done Sam for Hanifin in the summer, now Canes shut the phone on us in laughter if we go to them with 1 for 1 swap proposal. Sam is 2014 2nd OA pick playing 4th line minutes and 10 points in 28. No one would consider giving up high-end D with serious upside for him in a straight swap...Not Carolina, not anyone else. Hanifin has more points than Sam this year while playing D position and being actually 14 months younger. Some people need a reality check on the situation with Sam.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
Sabres aren't trading Sam while his value is this low. I just don't see it happening.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Small update so we can get rid of Gorges or Bealieu for SOMETHING and so that Canes have a replacement bottom pairing D for this year:

Hanifin+3rd
for
Kane+Reinahrt+Gorges

Reactions: coastal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad