Proposal: Buffalo Proposals for Hanifin (Merged)

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I have long stood by the fact that Hanifin is the last D-man I want to move. Id even move Slavin before him, its nice to see that other Canes fans are starting to agree (or are at least getting there).

No way I do that deal.
I prefer to deal Slavin+ for a true 1c or simply do a Fleury+ or Bean+ deal for a forward with potential, like Reinhart. But I'm absolutely not moving Hanifin.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Hanifin is a top 4 D at worst right now. He's trending towards becoming an every day top pairing guy in the next little while.

Sam Reinhart hasn't even proven that he could be a legit top 9 forward on an NHL playoff team.

Both are young, both are high potential.

My take - Carolina laughs and hangs up.

Reinhart is struggling this year but he had 47 and 42 points the last 2 years. On most playoffs teams those numbers would be 5th or 6th leading scorer for forwards including cup winners like 15 Hawks 16 and 17 Pens. In my opinion He is a top 9 forward on most playoff teams.

What is your opinion of a legit top 9 forward on a playoff team?

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Has hasn't been consistently reliable defensively. His production is great in the regular season - definitely top 9 or top 6 production - but you might want a less talented but more trustworthy guy to play non sheltered minutes in an elimination game. Post season ("playoff team") is another beast.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Don't think Reinhart brings back what Buffalo fans would want, best they could get right now is prob like a late 1st + 2nd/solid prospect.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Don't think Reinhart brings back what Buffalo fans would want, best they could get right now is prob like a late 1st + 2nd/solid prospect.
Hes worth still at least a couple of firsts. But I wouldnt trade Hanifin for a couple of 1sts so there is that.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Sometimes it’s good to read a post before posting, you know. And if you have problems with reading comprehension, maybe you shouldn’t start your response with a: ”What?”

I haven’t written anything about retaining long term unless you consider the next season and possibly the one after that long term.

Problem is that's not allowed. Salary Retention deals must be for the entire remaining length of the contract and have identical %'s every year.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Out of curiousity... what about extended players? Let's take Carey Price for example.

Could Bergevin choose whether he wants to retain on (A) THIS entire contract - last year of $6.50 AAV - or (B) the other 8 year contract that starts next year?

Or is he obligated to retain on all NHL contracts associated with the player (current expiring one AND the extension)?

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Problem is that's not allowed. Salary Retention deals must be for the entire remaining length of the contract and have identical %'s every year.
Thanks, didn’t know that. I though the Kessel deal had some extra retention in the beginning for some reason.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Would Carolina be willing to move on Hanifin for Reinhart and a 3rd round pick? Carolina gets a center with potential, I think he would thrive in Carolina with the proper wingers. Buffalo can start to rebuild the rebuild by actually building from the back end out (thanks Murray).

EDIT: I would be willing to discuss ROR for Hanifin +

Sorry OP but the canes would not be adding anything there, Sabres add big time. ROR is a great player but age/contract situation are extremely valuable.

And it would have to be much more than a 3rd round pick. If i was the canes though i wouldn't even discuss it, Hanifin looks to be a future #1D, Reinhart is trending towards a #2C. While still valuable, Hanifin >> Reinhart.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Out of curiousity... what about extended players? Let's take Carey Price for example.

Could Bergevin choose whether he wants to retain on (A) THIS entire contract - last year of $6.50 AAV - or (B) the other 8 year contract that starts next year?

Or is he obligated to retain on all NHL contracts associated with the player (current expiring one AND the extension)?

Unknown, as the CBA doesn't clarify to that degree of detail, and so far as I'm aware the situation has not arisen yet. I suspect the NHL would push that salary retention must be for both the current contract and extension. Don't know if the PA would agree with or object to that interpretation.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Would Carolina be willing to move on Hanifin for Reinhart and a 3rd round pick? Carolina gets a center with potential, I think he would thrive in Carolina with the proper wingers. Buffalo can start to rebuild the rebuild by actually building from the back end out (thanks Murray).

EDIT: I would be willing to discuss ROR for Hanifin +
Canes will not move Hanifin with Reinhart as the main piece coming back. Period.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Reinhart is a victim because of the team around him.

Or is he part of the reason why the team can't take the next step? Lets say you are right... If you were other teams GM, would you buy into Reinhart being any more than a 45 pts (+/-) player at this stage? I think he lacks offensive skills and will end up a very solid 3rd line center. He may be a 2nd line center on some teams but he's not going to generate too much offense IMO.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Hanifin was rumoured for Duchene. So the Sabres would need to add with Reinhart or offer an equivalent player such as ROR.

Yeah, it was actually rumored that Francis wouldn't even move Hanifin for Duchene (although Duchene's contract played a part in that), and that was before Hanifin started really blossoming like he currently is. Hanifin is a 20 year old kids still learning his way in the NHL. Not every player develops at the same pace or gets in an ideal situation, but I think most Canes fans (and probably the Canes brass) think it's just the tip of the iceberg for him.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
last offseason id think it is fair but hanifin has taken the step forward that was expected and reinhart hasn't, so hurricanes decline easily.

After watching a few Cane games recently, it does appear that Hanifin has figured it out now. He's been playing well lately. Sometimes it just takes a young defender a little while to learn the ropes in the NHL.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
This is the problem with a guy like Hanifin. Everyone scoffed about the asks last season/offseason, saying he's nothing but potential, risky, etc (some valid concerns). Then, he takes the next step and is developing very well, and everyone expects him to be available at the same price. That's not how it works. You take the risk early and give up a good amount of value, or you wait and have to pay an astronomical price; we're quickly approaching that astronomical price.

Reinhart was a guy I was entertaining last year for Hanifin; I was wrong. ROR would have to be the piece now, but I wouldn't be making adds as significant as some are suggesting here.

Reactions: cptjeff

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
What?
Botterill won't be retaining on any long term contracts, and that's a fact. He's not dumb enough to handcuff the organization cap wise long term. He's known for his cap prowess from Pittsburg.
And if ROR is traded, that add to Hannifin will be substaintal.
Sorry for aggressive response. The "what" triggered me I guess. Didn't know that you have to retain the same amount for the full term of the contract, thought we could retain just for year 1 and 2.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
No. Maybe if Hanifin has issues resigning. Otherwise could we interest you in a Faulk?

Not for ROR. Guy is one hell of a hockey player, he's in his mid 20s, and locked up for his prime. Sabres have 0 reason to move the guy unless it's a really good hockey trade for us.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The longer the Sabres wait on Reinhart, the lower the return.....think Nail Yakupov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad