Confirmed with Link: Brian Elliott to Flames for 35th Overall + Conditional 3rd in 2018 (if he resigns)

May 27, 2012
Earth
The Flames have faced Brian Elliott 8 times since he started playing for the Blues in the 2011-1012 season.
Against the Flames he's had 2 shut-outs, a GAA of 1.375, and a SV% of 0.933. and a record of 7 wins and 1 loss.

Way to go Brad. Great deal!! :handclap:

Hopefully he can do that against the Flames again.

moon*

For the pick-up of Elliott itself I think it is an ok move. Not sure it is the great move that many here are touting it as.

The cost in terms of money and assets is cheap so that is good but Elliott brings a few question marks for me in terms of his ability away from the Blues, which I think plays the best defensive system and has the best defensive group of skaters (forwards and defense combined) in the league and his ability to play 60+ games.

I think Elliott brings so stability to the position and likely will give the team good (I can't see him being any better than that) goaltending.

It would have been nice to get a stud like Bishop and have that spot really solidified for the next 5 years but if the 7 x 7 number was true I can see why they backed off.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
For the pick-up of Elliott itself I think it is an ok move. Not sure it is the great move that many here are touting it as.

The cost in terms of money and assets is cheap so that is good but Elliott brings a few question marks for me in terms of his ability away from the Blues, which I think plays the best defensive system and has the best defensive group of skaters (forwards and defense combined) in the league and his ability to play 60+ games.

I think Elliott brings so stability to the position and likely will give the team good (I can't see him being any better than that) goaltending.

It would have been nice to get a stud like Bishop and have that spot really solidified for the next 5 years but if the 7 x 7 number was true I can see why they backed off.

Absolutely, there are perhaps goalies out there who have hit higher highs than Brian Elliott, but I think the fact that we could get this done for just a 2nd round pick made it a can't-miss opportunity.

With other guys like Bishop or Fleury, we would've seen a big upgrade in goaltending, but would've had to live with a big sacrifice somewhere else. With this we get a big upgrade in goaltending without really sacrificing anything (if you look at the odds of the 35th pick becoming something special, I think it's pretty low).

Besides, before declaring Elliott a step down from other guys, just look at the consistency of his numbers the last few years. He's an above-average starter right now, which is going to be a big change from last year.

moon*

Besides, before declaring Elliott a step down from other guys, just look at the consistency of his numbers the last few years. He's an above-average starter right now, which is going to be a big change from last year.

He is an above average starter with the Blues team/system in front of him. I am curious to see what he is without that level of support. He was terrible in Ottawa, although that was a long time ago. I suspect he will end up somewhere in between for Calgary.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think Elliot is your classic Craig Anderson, Michael Smith type. Late bloomer, non sexy goalie, but very efficient. He was appropriate to acquire for a rebuilding team and not give up a lot of assets.

I still think Bishop is a possibility. As we get closer to the expansion draft, his asking price should continue to fall. If Elliot is just okay, and were in a playoff hunt, I could see Tre dealing a mid to late first for Bishop. Hopefully Elliot goes the Tim Thomas route though.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
He is an above average starter with the Blues team/system in front of him. I am curious to see what he is without that level of support. He was terrible in Ottawa, although that was a long time ago. I suspect he will end up somewhere in between for Calgary.

Trust me, I saw him break into the league while attending Sens games. He was full of flaws. I watched him in Colorado with my roommate who was a diehard Avs fan. He was pretty bad there too.

But it's been five years since then. He's been nothing but phenomenal for the Blues. They paid a premium to get Ryan Miller and he still kept his job. While I'm not sold that he'll replicate his St. Louis numbers in Calgary, I still expect him to be an above average starter, which is really what we need.

This team needs a goalie that isn't going to bail them out constantly, so they learn to play a better defensive system under Glen Gulutzan, but a goalie that isn't going to sink them either.

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
As long as he's better than what we've had, I'll be happy.

Yeah that's why I'm not concerned. Personally I believe if we had even average goaltending we would've made playoffs last year. But I'm glad we didn't because if we did we probably wouldn't have had a coaching change or gotten Tkachuk. But now having an upgrade to even just above average goaltending. It's gonna help our team so much.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
For whatever reason I've never been convinced that Brian Elliott is the real deal... must be the impression from his Ottawa years. But can't argue with his STL numbers, dude's a rock solid NHL goalie and came quite cheap too. Would've preferred Fleury at the end of the day but this was a very good move by BT.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Hopefully he can do that against the Flames again.
The point was that Elliott has been a real beast to play against and as they say in the business world... If you can't beat em buy em.

Slush

Jan 26, 2016
Calgary, Canada
The Flames have faced Brian Elliott 8 times since he started playing for the Blues in the 2011-1012 season.
Against the Flames he's had 2 shut-outs, a GAA of 1.375, and a SV% of 0.933. and a record of 7 wins and 1 loss.

Way to go Brad. Great deal!! :handclap:

We don't have to worry about facing Elliot anymore. :laugh:

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Former teammates, coaches and staff keep going on about how awesome this guy is on and off the ice. Once he see's our locker room, and plays a bit for us, I see this as our best off season move so far.

I think he legit gives us a chance to make it this year.

Aug 3, 2010
Elliott spotted with all-red pads, glove and blocker.

14184521_10209129556169777_2349729241368689126_n.jpg

Can't wait to see him in his full setup with sweater and mask.

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
Speaking of extensions, I was reading last night that according to Bishop, his camp was negotiating a contract extension with Tree & co. upon a trade to Calgary, but we ended up going with Elliott instead. I am still just as happy with the trade as I was on draft day.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
No need to hurry on the Elliot extension. Honestly I'm still not 100% that he's much better the Ramo. St. Louis is about as air tight in the defensive zone as there is.

Plus, Bishop could still be moved and we also will get a better idea if Gillies is the elite goaltending prospect I believe him to be.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Speaking of extensions, I was reading last night that according to Bishop, his camp was negotiating a contract extension with Tree & co. upon a trade to Calgary, but we ended up going with Elliott instead. I am still just as happy with the trade as I was on draft day.
Trades are awesome, draft day trades with your CFHF brethren are even better.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I like Elliot, he's the best netminder we've had since Kipper retired. I think they really like his character and how he will fit in the lockeroom as well.

I'm not sold on him being an elite starter though. I think he could be, but I haven't seen enough to know and say it with 100% confidence. But I do think we are getting a guy where statistically a lot of goalies hit their prime, so who knows. I love the addition and the price that we paid. But if Elliot isn't a total wall this season, I have zero doubts that we bring in Bishop next year.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'm wait and see with Brian Elliott. If Elliott stuns people by mid-season; for sure. Give him a few years at a reasonable cap hit.

Not interested in giving an unknown commodity in Calgary and extension.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00