Confirmed with Link: Brian Elliott to Flames for 35th Overall + Conditional 3rd in 2018 (if he resigns)

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
The perfect guy really. Little older but real solid. Good guy to bring Gillies along.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

Best part of this trade is that it's not Fleury. Penguin fans are the worst.

(no offence Zirakzigil)

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
You guys are getting a good one. Very sound goalie, but just an awesome person. The Blues organization just doesn't deserve him. He was nothing but great here and a professional in every single way. Just an awesome guy. Enjoy him, boys. I'll be cheering for you guys if the Blues get knocked out.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
I love the trade. He is a very good goalie and they can complain he is 31. Which isn't very old, at least off hf and we get a stop gap to get one of our young goalies developed. Very good day to be a flames fan on draft day again this year.

longchange

Feb 18, 2012
Very happy with this, low risk-relatively high reward. The best part is everyone can lay the 6OA for MAF proposals to rest.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
June Dave Lozo ‏@davelozo
Save percentage leaders since 2011-12. I'll never get the lack of love for Brian Elliott.

ClwYBDDWMAAKLJE.jpg:large

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Awesome trade. Sign him to a two year extension and bring him along as a stop-gap/mentor to Gillies

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
LOVE this trade. This is absolutely the perfect fit for us. A solid, solid goalie that can come in and shoulder the load for a few years until Gillies can platoon with him and then take over eventually.

western redmen

the forgotten owskis
Jun 7, 2012
Don't hate it, but thinking back, Elliot really wasn't that good until he got to the blues where they are a very well defensively coached team

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
Obligatory chart:

3QH7Ywi.png

Elliot wasn't the guy I had in mind but that's a fine tandem.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I'm pleased. Great option when you consider cost and recent success. Treliving did good.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
Don't hate it, but thinking back, Elliot really wasn't that good until he got to the blues where they are a very well defensively coached team

He has been better than any goalie in the blue note since then too. Everyone thought Halak was their guy. Elliot beat him.

Elliot will be a decent stopgap. I like it.

What the **** is with the vitriol from Pens fans on the trade board?

We didn't take MAF. #sorrynotsorry #nobasics

Aug 3, 2010

With a new coach and new systems, who's to say Calgary isn't a place where he can continue to play his game?

At worst, he'll be average. As a goaltender, he's only in the early stages of his prime at 31 - and he cost a 2nd round pick. If he's not as advertised, Calgary jettisons him at the trade deadline.

It's a good trade for Calgary; it's a little bit of a headscratcher for the Blues.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Flames will (in theory) be better defensively under Gulutzan than under Hartley's tire fire of a system. Elliott+Ortio is a good enough tandem if the rest of the team is up to par.

Truth be told, Treliving paid premium for what could end up being just a one year stop gap. Next year, even more goalies will be on the market; there's going to be a ton of quality backups with starter potential up for grabs for pennies on the dollar.

On the other hand, if Elliott struggles, there's no long term commitment. If the Flames want to go in a different direction, they easily can. They should also be able to re-sign him fairly easily (~4 years, 5M per).

Regardless, I'm still ecstatic that the Flames didn't trade for Fleury. (Kylington+35th; yikes)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad